This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#759307 by p17blo
07 Nov 2010, 16:36
I am trying to see what could be one of the last shuttle launches, which is tentatively scheduled for November 30th. Does anyone know if you can buy tickets for offical viewing?

I went to see a launch a few years ago but just watched from the beach over the water some miles away.

I took a look at the NASA site but couldn't see anything relevant.

Paul
#759316 by p17blo
07 Nov 2010, 18:46
Try Googling "tickets to view a space shuttle launch"

Always helpful :) - But I did, and always do google these things -Not sure why but when I first looked I couldn't see anything 'relevant', maybe it was some weird terminolgy i used.
I did find the site you subsequently linked too and found out that since this launch is a delayed launch all the official tickets have gone.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Paul
#759322 by slinky09
07 Nov 2010, 19:01
The last two launches are going to be incredibly popular ... I've read some stories about the crowds expected, hope you get a good spot!
#759327 by p17blo
07 Nov 2010, 20:24
Well I was hoping that as the launch is scheduled for 4am it might be a little less well attended. But I could be wrong. I had also heard that the visitor numbers are going up as the number of launches near the end.
#759328 by Bill S
07 Nov 2010, 20:28
This launch is sold out.

Here's the link. :D

Normally you can register for an email of when the ticket sales window opens. It lasts about 2 minutes before all causeway tickets are sold so you really do have to be on the ball!

There is another way:
Gray Line
They have an allocation and usually it lasts a little longer than the direct ticket sales.
I find them much better as they also get you away from the site afterwards along the best routes - it can be an absolute nightmare getting back to Orlando. Much easier to let another driver take the strain. Make sure you get the right VIP package - they also sell packages that view from the space centre - nowhere near as good as the Causeway. Also it is easier to get those tickets that include the dinner with the Astronaut - more expensive but tend to be the last to go.

It is a fantastic experience - you actually feel the launch as well as see it from the Causeway!

It may be worth a telephone call to Gray Line to see if they have a standby list for cancellations on the 30th...
#759372 by craigmonster
08 Nov 2010, 14:44
If you're lucky enough to get to go; try to bring a small portable camp style chair - loads of standing around otherwise. Also - loads of sunblock and a hat! Not a lot of shade. I looked as if I had been sitting on the launch pad after 4 hours in the florida sun! Worth it though; awesome sight (and sound) nothing else like it. Apparently the Saturn V was even more spectacular - let's hope they start shooting massive rockets up again.
#759442 by lovetoholiday
09 Nov 2010, 14:41
We watched the STS-131 launch back in April this year, it was at 6.20am, I have never seen so many people in my life when we arrived at 4.30am!
We left Kissimmee at 3.15am and headed for Titusville near the Macdonalds and managed to grab a parking space in one of the offices opposite knowing that we would be gone by the time they were opening. It took us just over an hour, we avoided the road that lead to the causeway as it was jammed solid.

The launch was an amazing sight, something I will never forget.
The traffic on the return journey was horrendous, it took us about 5 hours even though we avoided the toll roads :-o

Hope you get to see it :)
Virgin Atlantic