This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#765888 by northernhenry
01 Feb 2011, 14:51
Are you sure its still in date, they need renewing every 10 years- know this as sent mine off yesterday with newer/ less flattering photo, 10 years is a long time (thats my excuse). You do get the paper bit along with the card anyway??
#765890 by Nottingham Nick
01 Feb 2011, 14:54
I still have my old original, green, one piece licence. The old ones don't need to be renewed every ten years - mine is valid until I am 70!!! :|

They are few and far between now, as if you send them off for a change of address or to have some points put on, then you have to convert to the photo licences.

Nick
#765891 by Tinkerbelle
01 Feb 2011, 14:59
northernhenry wrote:Are you sure its still in date, they need renewing every 10 years- know this as sent mine off yesterday with newer/ less flattering photo, 10 years is a long time (thats my excuse). You do get the paper bit along with the card anyway??

Still very much in date - it's valid until 2049!! Nick it's nice to see someone else with one. Mine is still in pretty much perfect condition too.
#765893 by Neil
01 Feb 2011, 15:04
My Dad has the old style one also.

Being a young person :D , I had to have the new style, and it is very annoying that we have to change every 10 years :(!
#765896 by thelaceys
01 Feb 2011, 15:07
Yep me too I have the old green one, mine's valid until about 2032 I think, (damn....no working out ages now please !) ;)

thelaceys
#765898 by Tinkerbelle
01 Feb 2011, 15:09
Neil wrote:My Dad has the old style one also.

Being a young person :D , I had to have the new style, and it is very annoying that we have to change every 10 years :(!

I'm still young Neil! :D. They changed to the photocards not long after I passed my driving test. :)
#765908 by PilotWolf
01 Feb 2011, 15:46
Renewed mine last week - so I didn't forget as not due until March. They've diddled me out of 2 months as dated it from now.

W.
#765910 by stevebrass
01 Feb 2011, 15:48
Mine is pink and valid until 2027.
#765931 by honey lamb
01 Feb 2011, 17:15
Me too from the time I lived in the UK although it is due to expire sometime this decade ;) Since I've been back in Ireland for over 35 years God knows who lives at that address now.

The only time it has been of use to me was shortly after I came back here. I should have taken a driving test but there was such a backlog that an amnesty was declared and people with a valid licence from various countries including the UK were automatically granted a licence provided they had not been disqualified previously from driving.

I don't think I'll be renewing it somehow :D
#765968 by NV43
01 Feb 2011, 20:21
I still have my original green paper licence valid until age 70 thus avoiding the requirement to renew the 'photograph' every 10 years at a cost of £20.

NV
#765970 by Jacki
01 Feb 2011, 20:29
I have no intention of getting the new one, particularly now I know you have the extra hassle of renewing it.
#765971 by HWVlover
01 Feb 2011, 20:37
Still have mine although it is not quite as pristine as once, a long time ago

and
honey lamb wrote:although it is due to expire sometime this decade ;)

ditto. :X :X

Jacki wrote:I have no intention of getting the new one, particularly now I know you have the extra hassle of renewing it.

In which case, don't upset any nice policemen or cameras as you need to make sure you avoid getting any points ): ):
#765993 by hiljil
02 Feb 2011, 00:16
Yes still have mine and in its plastic case - the edges of which seem to be getting sharper year by year. I expect they will take that off me soon at check in as being a lethal weapon !
#766040 by RedVee
02 Feb 2011, 11:48
Still have mine too. The only drawback was once at Citifield where I couldn't get a beer as I had no photo ID on me to prove I was over 21. The counter staff just don't have any discretion, although I would like to think it was because they thought it was too close to call =p

Don't tend to carry my passport around and of course my paper licence could really be anyone's I suppose.

I've since had a photocopy of my passport in my purse and that seems to suffice.

Regards
R3dV
#766820 by VS075
08 Feb 2011, 21:45
New style driving licence holder here, albeit of the old variety as my photo is a colour one and a few people who had gained/renewed driving licences in the last 3 years have black and white photos. The card itself is still pink though (green used for provisional licences with added 'L' plate symbol, pink for full licences).

I suppose the logic of renewing the photocards every 10 years is to reflect people's changing looks as they get older.
#766823 by David
08 Feb 2011, 22:11
Still got the paper pink version.

Thought about changing to a photo licence, mainly for the fact that when driving in the US you have to have your licence + a photo ID in the car if its the old style without the photo and I don't like carrying my passport about all the time.

Noticed as well that more and more shops where asking for ID when using credit cards in Orlando but never got refused without it.

David
Virgin Atlantic