This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#783370 by Concorde RIP
22 Jun 2011, 11:39
A member of the family has tye 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes.

They are due to fly to Barbados in July.

Does anyone have any experience of this in terms of:
Any practicalities that need to be considered?
How time difference might affect things?
How climbing/decending to 37000 feet affects things?
How temperature (in Barbados) mightr affect ghings?

Basically, I'd be happy to receive any advice anyone can offer.....PM me if you would prefer.

Thank you.
#783381 by tontybear
22 Jun 2011, 12:24
Best to talk to their practice nurse and there is advice on the diabetes UK website

Should be no issues re taking insulin etc through security but best to have the original packaging. There is advice on the VS website and a call to special assistance won't hurt either.

Thousands of diabetics fly every day with no problems at all.
#783405 by Concorde RIP
22 Jun 2011, 13:55
Thanks Tonty - all in hand, I guess I just wondered if anyone had any direct experience they could share to supplement the "official" advice.
#783459 by MrT
22 Jun 2011, 21:24
Although insulin should be refrigerated ideally, most if not all will state on the box that maximum period of time that it can be kept out of the fridge - e.g. up to 4 weeks at a maximum of 30degC (warning, varies for all different types of insulin, check the box).

As Tonty says, security should be fine - AFAIK there is no insulin in containers larger than 100ml so there shouldn't be any liquid restriction problem.

As usual with essential medication - take plenty, take spare and take a proper record of what you need just in case anything happens and you need to source more locally. Carry it in the original packs labelled with patient name and dose just in case of any problems with customs in the destination country.

You can get 'cool pouches' to keep the pens/cartridges cool - Frio is one brand but I am sure there are others.
#783683 by AlanA
24 Jun 2011, 19:25
Dont forget to take a letter from your doctor as well, that makes it easier through security.
#785998 by gilly
16 Jul 2011, 13:03
My daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic. Taking her insulin - and many other meds through security has never, ever been a problem. No-one has ever questioned her about her lancets and needles. She took a couple of Frio pouches and the insulin kept very well.

Regarding the insulin times - she has 4 doses a day. The short acting is no problem since it's only used at mealtimes. The long acting can more tricky. If away for a week or so, her Diabetic Nurse suggested keeping to the same time she would take it here ie she takes it at 9pm, so in the Bahamas where we were, she took it at 4pm. If away for a longer period, it would have to be adjusted around an hour a day.

But best to speak to the Diabetic Nurse.
#786005 by slinky09
16 Jul 2011, 14:27
Travelling is perfectly safe with diabetes, I think the advice Jilly gave is sound, to stick to the regular dosing times.

My father was a type 1 diabetic and we travelled the world, including the Caribbean with no ill effects. Climbing and descending, and hot weather are no problem if you follow the sensible rules of lots of water to avoid dehydration.

I would take a copy of the prescription, in case of emergency need to source locally, and ensure your travel insurance is up to date. Also, take the meds as hand luggage just in case ...
#786241 by Tinkerbelle
18 Jul 2011, 19:41
The cool packs to keep the medication cool do a fantastic job as onboard crew will be able to provide you with ice to help keep medication cool but will not be able to store anything in the fridge.

Also having a sugary snack/drink within arms reach is good in case you need it at a moments notice. Ask one of the crew for an extra can of drink to keep in your seat pocket in case it is needed. :)
Virgin Atlantic