A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#710723 by ChuckC
22 Mar 2009, 15:24
I have a friend up there who works in the industry; perhaps he'd be willing to arrange a private tour or something like that. We could do the car hire thingy so that drinking would not be an issue.

Chuck-
#710744 by Wolves27
22 Mar 2009, 23:42
Mat and I fancy staying in the city for that weekend so will pass on the Six Flags trip. Anyone going to Napa feel free to bring us back some wine [:w]
#710748 by mcmbenjamin
23 Mar 2009, 00:30
Wine or rolleroasters? Wine wins.

Anyone up for a baseball game?
#710749 by Darren Wheeler
23 Mar 2009, 00:51
quote:Originally posted by mcmbenjamin

Anyone up for a baseball game?

Now there's an idea. Giants vs Mets. Tickets start from $17 for a seat in the bleachers. Friday night starts at 7:15.

Foot-longs and Corn dogs...
#710770 by Vegascrazy
23 Mar 2009, 14:52
Myself, Steve & Dan have had another chat about our plan for San Fran. Given that we only have three full days in the city we've decided not to commit to a plan that involves a full day out, as there's so much to see & do in the city itself [:)]

Cheers
James
#710771 by Guest
23 Mar 2009, 15:31
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
Just doing some trip research, there is a Six Flags Theme Park about 40 mins drive from San Francisco:

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/index.aspx

Tickets are on special at $29.99 too. Could hire a people carrier for the day and do a day trip on the Friday or Saturday - anyone interested?

Richard,

Thanks for your kind invite.

I think I will be spending a couple of days in the city and catching up with friends.

Regards,

Ian
#710773 by RichardMannion
23 Mar 2009, 15:49
quote:Originally posted by Vegascrazy
Myself, Steve & Dan have had another chat about our plan for San Fran. Given that we only have three full days in the city we've decided not to commit to a plan that involves a full day out, as there's so much to see & do in the city itself [:)]

Cheers
James

Understand completely!

Now baseball sounds like a fun idea....
#710870 by RichardMannion
24 Mar 2009, 16:58
Okay, the visit to Napa is beginning to appeal over a theme park as I can visit Six Flags another time.... what is the best way to arrange a visit?

Happy to still be dsignated driver of a vehicle.
#710871 by Juliet
24 Mar 2009, 17:08
rental Car, and look at a map of wineries and choose which ones to visit! Hic!
#710873 by preiffer
24 Mar 2009, 17:25
St Helena Highway [y]

We can just get a people-carrier (10-12 seater). I'll look into it...
#710874 by ChuckC
24 Mar 2009, 20:48
quote:Originally posted by preiffer
St Helena Highway [y]

I'll ask my friend at Chateau Montelena about a visit.

Chuck-
#710876 by Guest
24 Mar 2009, 20:58
quote:Originally posted by ChuckC
St Helena Highway [y]

Chuck-

Ahrrr - my favourite hotel in LA - sort of been a home from home for many years now.

Regards,

Hackneyguy
#710894 by Darren Wheeler
25 Mar 2009, 02:56
Wine sounds good too.

Will have to seek out some good cheese at the Ferry Building market though.
#710895 by preiffer
25 Mar 2009, 03:23
No need - just pick it up from V. Sattui up there. picnic tables, cheese, wine, meats, breads, the works. [y]
#710953 by MarkedMan
25 Mar 2009, 19:16
quote:Originally posted by hackneyguy

Ahrrr - my favourite hotel in LA - sort of been a home from home for many years now.

Regards,

Hackneyguy

[:?]

Hhhmmm ... I'd love to stay here any time, not sure how easy it is though .. [;)]
#710975 by Wolves27
25 Mar 2009, 23:32
This may seem like a silly question, but as post run/walk [:p] sustinance will almost certainly be provided by the Cheesecake Factory would it be wise to book a table for the Sunday afternoon.

Only saying this as last year we only *just* managed to squeeze about eight of us round the last bar table in the whole place. And then most of it was taken up by Ben's nachos 'appetiser'. I'm certain there will be a lot more of us this year....
#710991 by MarkedMan
26 Mar 2009, 01:50
It's been a lot less busy at the cheesecake factory recently, but that weekend's sure to be an exception. They may make an exception for a really large group - you'll be damn near booking a party.
#711003 by mcuth
26 Mar 2009, 10:18
Like Tinks, when I went it was called Six Flags Marine World - probably back in 2004. Had a great day out, it was bloody hot but the place was quite quiet as it was during the week - however the only ride I really remember was the wooden roller coaster - great ride! [y]

Edit to add:
Given the choice though, I'd go to Napa every time [:)]

Cheers
Michael
#711033 by ChuckC
26 Mar 2009, 14:34
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
Now you knew this would happen:

http://www.montelena.com//meet_us/visit.html#footer
Tasting Room Hours
9:30 a.m. 4:00 p.m. daily
(except major holidays and the third Saturday in May)

Spoke with my friend and, wouldn't you know it, that day is the one day the winery will be closed for a private reception for 250 people that my friend is coordinating. He did, however, give me some good ideas for other places to visit, including places for lunch.

Sounds like Paul is working on transport. I can make a list of, say, 4-5 wineries, with a stop for lunch if you wish. Let me know.

Chuck-
#711034 by ChuckC
26 Mar 2009, 14:50
quote:Originally posted by Wolves27
This may seem like a silly question, but as post run/walk [:p] sustinance will almost certainly be provided by the Cheesecake Factory would it be wise to book a table for the Sunday afternoon.

Only saying this as last year we only *just* managed to squeeze about eight of us round the last bar table in the whole place. And then most of it was taken up by Ben's nachos 'appetiser'. I'm certain there will be a lot more of us this year....

As you guys have seen from last year, most places in SF will be jammed. The Cheesecake Factory will indeed be a 'factory' that day, with long waits (as Dean said, no reservations).

Let me try something out with everyone: if we kept the private van that Paul's working on for the Napa trip, we could be picked up at a central location, then whisked out of the crowded city and within 20 minutes be in beautiful Sausalito where we can enjoy lunch, overlook the Bay, do some shopping, etc.

The Spinnaker Restauranttakes reservations and is well located.

Chuck-
#711035 by Guest
26 Mar 2009, 15:09
quote:Originally posted by hackneyguy
quote:Originally posted by ChuckC
St Helena Highway [y]

Chuck-

Regards,

Hackneyguy

Woops - in my speed reading I thought I saw Chateau Marmont and not Montelena [:I][:I]
Virgin Atlantic