A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#709272 by Tinkerbelle
05 Mar 2009, 00:08
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Well I'm glad I have the old IFBT station to shield my eyes from such cosiness.

Not anymore - the IFBT area has gone so there is nothing there to shield your eyes anymore. It now looks like A-zone has its own dancefloor!
#709275 by ChuckC
05 Mar 2009, 00:15
quote:Originally posted by ChuckC
Haven't been able to register online. Seems a problem with online engine. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, as per Dean's post above are we supposed to request a specific corral?

Chuck-

Now all registered. Put myself in the under 2 hour corral. Currently at 18 mins, must get down to 16 (no wisecracks, Paul!). Invited a friend from Napa Valley to join us; should tell him to bring wine as he works for a winery.

Chuck-
#709361 by Guest
05 Mar 2009, 19:50
Anyone want to join me Corral E i.e. walk in 2 hours ? Not registered yet but keen to do it with a partner. PM me if you feel embarassed. Still want to do my bit for charity.

Thanks,

Hacknheyguy
#709365 by Scrooge
05 Mar 2009, 20:10
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Well I'm glad I have the old IFBT station to shield my eyes from such cosiness.

Not anymore - the IFBT area has gone so there is nothing there to shield your eyes anymore. It now looks like A-zone has its own dancefloor!

I am sending a stripper pole back with someone, I want pictures of this event.
#709436 by Wolves27
06 Mar 2009, 15:27
Right, just spoke to the duty manager at the CH and they're going to reserve the Sky Loft for us for the 14th. I mentioned we were a group of golds, silvers, v-flyers (and even one vtop [:)]).

They'll also happilly sort out a large table in the brasserie for us all to have brekkie first as its a bit more condusive to group eating than the loft.

I just need to get back to them with numbers nearer the time. Mentioned it was about 12 of us now, but if there's any I've missed please let me know.

Cheers!
Dean
#709440 by Darren Wheeler
06 Mar 2009, 15:51
Excellent [y]

Thank you Matt. I feel a rather special day coming.[oo]
#709446 by Vegascrazy
06 Mar 2009, 16:36
That's great news Dean...many thanks for arranging! [y]
#709447 by Glider Pilot
06 Mar 2009, 16:45
That's fantastic news.
Thanks for arranging it [:D]
It's going to be a great outbound flight [y]
#709500 by HighFlyer
07 Mar 2009, 08:28
Great stuff, Dean [y]

Thanks,
Sarah
#709504 by Guest
07 Mar 2009, 10:44
Thanks Dean - sounds good. Looking forward to meeting you (again !? lol).

Regards,

Ian
#709517 by Wolves27
07 Mar 2009, 14:47
I'll try an recognise you this time Ian [:)]
#709530 by buns
07 Mar 2009, 17:22
quote:Originally posted by Wolves27
Right, just spoke to the duty manager at the CH and they're going to reserve the Sky Loft for us for the 14th. I mentioned we were a group of golds, silvers, v-flyers (and even one vtop [:)]).

They'll also happilly sort out a large table in the brasserie for us all to have brekkie first as its a bit more condusive to group eating than the loft.

I just need to get back to them with numbers nearer the time. Mentioned it was about 12 of us now, but if there's any I've missed please let me know.

Cheers!
Dean

Thank you Dean[oo]

I will be accompanied in the Clubhouse by my next door neighbour so if she could be included in the numbers please[y]

buns
#710637 by RichardMannion
21 Mar 2009, 00:47
For Las Vegas after the race - if you would like to stay at the Wynn, $109/nt if you use promo code RHHED07, same code gives a $149 rate for a suite in the new Encore tower. [}:)]

Thanks,
Richard
#710638 by Tinkerbelle
21 Mar 2009, 00:48
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
Just doing some trip research, there is a Six Flags Theme Park about 40 mins drive from San Francisco:

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/index.aspx

Tickets are on special at $29.99 too. Could hire a people carrier for the day and do a day trip on the Friday or Saturday - anyone interested?

Have been there if you need to know anything about it. [|:)]
#710645 by mcuth
21 Mar 2009, 02:05
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
Have been there if you need to know anything about it. [|:)]

Ditto - though it has been a while [:)]

Cheers
Michael
#710646 by RichardMannion
21 Mar 2009, 02:24
Now Tinks and Mcuth, that is just teasing!! Spill the beans - is it worth visiting?
#710647 by Darren Wheeler
21 Mar 2009, 02:26
Just doing some trip research, there is a Six Flags Theme Park about 40 mins drive from San Francisco:

Tickets are on special at $29.99 too. Could hire a people carrier for the day and do a day trip on the Friday or Saturday - anyone interested?

[y][y]

Now, Friday and jet lagged or Saturday and kids...
#710648 by Tinkerbelle
21 Mar 2009, 03:18
The actual park is in Vallejo. When I went I got a package deal of park entry, ferry and bus transfer. You get on the ferry at Pier 39 and the bus is waiting for you when the ferry arrives to take you the 10 minutes to the park.

When I went it was called Six Flags Marine World so I don't know how much has changed since they changed the name to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

From what I remember, there is an animal section to the park with killer whale and dolphin shows as well as the rides. The dolphin and sea lion shows were very good.

The biggest roller coaster is called Medusa which is the same as Kraken at Seaworld. There is also a brilliant coaster called V2: Vertical Velocity which I spent most of the day on. The Boomerang coaster was closed the day I was there so can't say anything about that one. There's a inverted coaster called Kong which is a bit of a head banger and a wooden coaster called Roar.

Thankfully the hideous Zonga roller coaster has now gone from the park - it has the honour of being the worst ride I've ever been on - no one ever had a good word to say about it as everyone was always too busy holding their heads in agony afterwards!

Can't tell you anymore about the other rides in the park as I did spend nearly the whole day on the roller coasters!
#710652 by buns
21 Mar 2009, 08:41
Richard

I suppose it is 'in for a penny in for a pound' - so count me in[:D]

The notion from Tink's that you can get a ferry and a bus might save the pressure on you and keep you match fit for race day[}:)]

buns
#710661 by RichardMannion
21 Mar 2009, 12:17
Not too worried about the drive buns, it will be no different to a normal day for us as we spend 2+ hours driving each day to work anyway.

It works out ~$60 for a 7 seater people carrier for the day.
#710662 by Vegascrazy
21 Mar 2009, 13:25
Sounds like fun, we (me, Steve & Dan) would be up for it on the Sat (not on the Fri!) In fact doing it on the Sat could work out well as we'll come back in the evening nice & tired and needing a chilled evening in advance of the run the following morning [y]

Cheers
James
#710668 by MarkedMan
21 Mar 2009, 14:35
I'd love to break a trend and join the party, but with BH currently bed-ridden and OOC for a couple of months, probably not an option ....

Sat's probably the day to do it, as driving I-80 is an absolute pain on a Friday, and just takes the fun out of life. You can actually reach the park the 'long way' (which as often is the case is sometimes the short way) by going north on 101 past San Rafael and cutting across 37. You drive around the north end of the bay (technically San Pablo Bay), the park is located where this road rejoins I80. Good route to drive on the way back, going west, sun sets over the bay, and nice opportunity for drinks/food pit stop in Sausalito or Mill Valley.
#710670 by ChuckC
21 Mar 2009, 14:57

Gee, I thought you'd want to visit the wine country (one of McCuth's favorites!). Anyone up for that?

Chuck-
#710689 by preiffer
21 Mar 2009, 20:31
I'm thinking I'd rather do a Napa/Sonoma trip, TBH... [:I]
Virgin Atlantic