A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#65283 by onionz
05 Jun 2005, 10:39
Originally posted by Bazz
Well done Pete [y], Birkin will be pleased, she thought she would be looking at the back of my head most of the flight as I chatted to Onionz ;)

Hey y'all! I've been in Mouseland for the last week and internet-less, and naturally there's a huge list of topics when i click the "Active Topics" link. What I tend to do in that situation is scan down to see if anything has been added to crucial threads like this one.

Good news on Decker and Pix's upgrades. Perhaps Pix will stop moaning about some "bloke from Essex" nicking the G seats now? :D

Looking forward to meaningful, although possibly[/certainly] inebriated, conversations with Bazz. [y]:)
#65512 by ChuckC
06 Jun 2005, 14:58
Onion,
Please, I beg you, bring along a camera for the on-board merriment.

Chuck[}:)]
#65755 by onionz
07 Jun 2005, 22:46
Sure thing Chuck - that may mean I have to buy one before then! [:I]

Flying is the one activity where I can't just use my phone to take pictures.
#66075 by mitchja
11 Jun 2005, 15:41
OK I know this is a while off but I've just reserved a room at TheHotel at Mandalay Bay for 4 nights :D

This hotel certainly does look to have everything you could possibly need and it sounds a fantastic place :D

Booked it direct (was slightly cheaper than booking with Expedia even with their so called 'special rate plans'). Usual Vegas policy of 1 night deposit paid up-front and 3 different room rates for the 4 nights I'm there!!! (again the usual Vegas thing) with Tuesday night been the most expensice for some reason.

Regards
#66083 by Nottingham Nick
11 Jun 2005, 17:38
You are right, James we are a long way off :) but it is creeping ever closer.

I have yet to firmly decide, but I am erring on the side of a two centre trip ;). Jetwet1's rate at the Strat is too good to pass up, so I think we will start there. It will also be good for the group to use as a base / meeting point.

My brother has never been to Vegas before, so it would be nice for him to experience two hotels. Haven't made my mind up yet, but may move down the Strip to NY NY / Mandalay Bay or one in that area for two more nights.. we will see.

Nick
#66084 by onionz
11 Jun 2005, 17:49
Good work James.

In my fleeting visit to the lobby area last August I could see it had a buzz, plenty of atmosphere and some great styling. Are you looking to stay at the Strat for the Thursday night then in San Francisco on the Friday night?

I'm stil leaning towards staying at the Luxor to start, as my uncle's host should provide a free suite for the four nights.

Possibly (and if she remembers to book it this time :)) she'll provide a limo from the airport - in which case you're free to join me, seeing as we're both coming off the same flight and the Luxor is only next door!
#66086 by buns
11 Jun 2005, 18:42
Mitcha

As nicks says:

I have yet to firmly decide, but I am erring on the side of a two centre trip . Jetwet1's rate at the Strat is too good to pass up, so I think we will start there. It will also be good for the group to use as a base / meeting point.

I too have yet to decide, but I am likely to follow Nick's plan of a few days at the Strat and possibly a few days at somewhere like the Bellagio - but who knows.

Certainly agree with Nick about the Strat as a base[y][y]

Buns
#66092 by mitchja
11 Jun 2005, 19:06
I was thinking of flying to SFO on Thursday 10th and staying 2 nights there to chill out a bit after Vegas, but so far this is not set in stone yet.

Regards
#66093 by ChuckC
11 Jun 2005, 19:11
James,
You'll like THEhotel I suspect. It feels like a designer for VS got in there and worked some magic. I spent Memorial Day weekend there and enjoyed the place very much.

Which nights will you be there?

Regards,
Chuck-
#66097 by mitchja
11 Jun 2005, 20:55
Chuck

Going off the web site and your report TheHotel comes across as having a similar look and feel as 'W' Starwood brand hotels which I love staying at. W hotels certainly complement the whole VS UCS ethos very nicley.

I'll be at TheHotel Sunday 6th Nov until Thursday 10th.

Regards
#66133 by ChuckC
12 Jun 2005, 16:17
Originally posted by mitchja
Chuck

Going off the web site and your report TheHotel comes across as having a similar look and feel as 'W' Starwood brand hotels

James,
Yes indeed. "Cool" is the word, top to bottom. I am hopeful of coming over to LAS for the group dinner which I believe is currently talked about as being on Thursday evening; if so, I will likely try being at THEhotel once again.

Chuck-
#66208 by iforres1
13 Jun 2005, 14:11
I was thinking of flying to SFO on Thursday 10th and staying 2 nights there to chill out a bit after Vegas, but so far this is not set in stone yet.
Regards

Same here James, flying to SFO on the Thursday 10th to catch a couple of days there.

Iain
#66406 by Bazz
15 Jun 2005, 17:14
If some of you are going to SFO on the Thursday that knocks the idea of a group dinner Thursday night on the head.

So shall we try to have a group dinner on the Wednesday, will everyone be in LAS on the Wednesday or don't we want to bother with a group dinner at all?

Barry
#66407 by Nottingham Nick
15 Jun 2005, 17:23
The group dinner on Wednesday sounds a plan. It is obviously better if we get as many as possible together. I think everyone will be in situ Wednesday night.

There will still be a few of us about on the Thursday, though.

Nick
#66420 by Scrooge
15 Jun 2005, 19:35
Pete and I had a brief chat about this yesterday and i'll be talking with him some more thursday about this and a couple of other idea's I have.

Probably when it gets closer to the date i'll throw a couple of threads up here about some of the things we can do as a group (airplane graveyard,grand canyon etc)those are easy.The dinner will need to be hammered out pretty soon,if only to reserve a room some where that can handle 15-20 drunks...I mean people :D.

I think Pete and his friends are eating at Top of The World thursday night so he should be able to give us an idea of the food (im kind of biased here so i'll stay out of it) though I will say,if the wind is blowing in the right direction,out of the south,the traffic into LAS is routed around the tower or turn infront of the tower,so it would make for an even better view during dinner.
#66423 by Nottingham Nick
15 Jun 2005, 19:39
Thanks, Dave.

When Pete gets back, he will no doubt give us his opinions.
Eevn though we are a fair way off, if we set up a timetable of events, people will know where they stand and can plan accordingly.

The number of travellers is by no means set in stones, I am hoping that there will be others who decide to join us... the more the merrier as they say ;)

Nick
#67192 by preiffer
24 Jun 2005, 03:10
I know a lot of people have booked their flights already - I'm looking at mine, but with so many different people travelling to different places on different days, it's looking complicated to me! A summary of this, I think, would be useful on the first post?

I'll put the summary list from what I can get out of the replies on the front sticky in the morning - if there are any other additions, either reply or PM me, and we'll get it all put up together.
#67194 by Scrooge
24 Jun 2005, 03:52
I feel sorry for the non V-Flyer's on VS 20 on the 12th,might well feel like the third wheel.
#68727 by mitchja
06 Jul 2005, 15:52
Just had a call from VS regarding the VS20 on the 12th Nov. It now has a new arrival time of 10:55 (on the 13th Nov) into LHR (was 10:30).

Nice of VS to take the time to call me and let me now :)

Regards
#68728 by preiffer
06 Jul 2005, 15:56
Just had a call from VS regarding the VS20 on the 12th Nov. It now has a new arrival time of 10:55 (on the 13th Nov) into LHR (was 10:30).

Indeed. Our travel agent hasn't... [V][:(!]
#68743 by Decker
06 Jul 2005, 17:01
Yeah we got the call too. Quite a chore for them I would have thought :) Wonder how it can be arriving later if leaving at the same time? Different plane perhaps? Or scheduling cheating? ;)
#68753 by Nottingham Nick
06 Jul 2005, 19:07
I got the call, bearing in mind how far away we are, and the fact that the take off time hasn't changed, it sems a LOT of work.

The caller explained that they are legally obligated to inform pax as soon as possible after the change.

Nick
#68772 by buns
06 Jul 2005, 21:45
Is the new arrival time in any way associated with "additional supplies" that the aircraft may have to carry;)[}:)];)

buns
#68780 by onionz
06 Jul 2005, 22:43

Regards

They haven't called me yet - and that flight has now disappeared from the Manage My Flights section on the website. Hmmm..probably no need to panic at this stage...[:0]
Virgin Atlantic