This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960496 by mitchja
24 Nov 2022, 00:25
LHR>TPA is showing as an A339 on most Fridays in March apart from the last week of March.
#960497 by Neil
24 Nov 2022, 08:26
Thanks James, I found that too but then they just seem to vanish.
I’ve checked NYC/BOS/ATL/TPA/MIA which are the routes mentioned in the communications but nothing
#960498 by CommanderB
24 Nov 2022, 11:42
I looked last week and it seems like they're not committing the 339s to routes until closer to departure. Probably hedging their bets in case of issues or until more arrive. Most of the 339 routes like BOS and TPA were showing as 333 aircraft for more than about 2 months out.

I only had a cursory look though, so if there's more rhyme or reason, I'd love to know too.
#960500 by Nottingham Nick
24 Nov 2022, 16:24
There have been accusations on other forums of ‘bait and switch’ against VS when people, have thought they were booking a particular type of plane, only to get an older substitute.
They may be holding off showing the Neo on particular route to avoid this.
Your contract with the airline is to be flown from A to B ( and back ) - VS have always been notorious for late a/c switches, so booking a route hoping to get a particular type of plane will always be a bit of a gamble.

Nick
#960501 by mitchja
24 Nov 2022, 17:16
VS have created that mess themselves though by not having a consistent on-board product.

VS have never been good at that and it’s worse now than it’s ever been. 3 sets of totally different J/W/Y seats now in a fleet of just 38 A/C made up of 4 different A/C types.
#960504 by CommanderB
Yesterday, 13:20
mitchja wrote:VS have created that mess themselves though by not having a consistent on-board product.

VS have never been good at that and it’s worse now than it’s ever been. 3 sets of totally different J/W/Y seats now in a fleet of just 38 A/C made up of 4 different A/C types.

Agreed, the current fleet is a mess.

At least with the 333/787 they were almost the same for W and J products. Emphasis on almost ;-)
#960505 by gumshoe
Yesterday, 13:38
mitchja wrote:VS have created that mess themselves though by not having a consistent on-board product.

They’re not alone in that, to be fair.

With BA and Qatar it’s a lottery as to whether or not you get Club Suites/QSuites. With many vexed posts on FT when there’s a swap, last minute or otherwise.

Moral of the story - never book a flight based purely on the type of aircraft. It’ll only end in tears and as long as you end up in the cabin you paid for, the airline owes you nothing if it’s the ‘wrong’ kind of seat.
Virgin Atlantic