This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960781 by Annab14$
07 May 2021, 15:09
My flight on 10th June to Orlando just been cancelled, can I request to be moved to an indirect flight at no extra cost as there are still indirect flights from Manchester showing available?
#960783 by flyingfox
07 May 2021, 15:13
A further update following the previous post by James

“We have taken the difficult decision to delay the restart of Orlando services from Heathrow and Manchester until 1 July 2021. We have also made changes to our Antigua, Grenada, Havana and Tobago schedules from Heathrow, which will now commence later this summer, and adjusted the Manchester – Barbados restart date. “

“ We are also making some frequency updates for May, June and July on selected routes. ”
#960784 by flyingfox
07 May 2021, 15:31
Annab14$ wrote:My flight on 10th June to Orlando just been cancelled, can I request to be moved to an indirect flight at no extra cost as there are still indirect flights from Manchester showing available?

I am afraid not according to the trade instructions sent out with today’s notice;

“Where a flight is cancelled, and to due limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.”
#960785 by flyingfox
07 May 2021, 17:37
The published list of countries on the traffic light system;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-a ... ng-england

And further information on demonstrating vaccine status via the NHS App or for those who can’t get it through that route you can get a paper copy.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstrati ... ing-abroad

Edit additions to the VS website which now shows each destinations colour under the traffic light system along with relevant testing and entry requirements;

https://help.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/t ... dvice.html
Last edited by flyingfox on 07 May 2021, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
#960786 by gumshoe
07 May 2021, 18:18
mikethe3rd wrote:I personally believe this is 2+2=9 but would be more than happy to be proven wrong...

https://twitter.com/ppaulcharles/status ... 06817?s=21

You weren’t wrong. He was. Again.

One day people will realise he’s not a reliable news source, just a lobbyist with an agenda who keeps failing to get what he wants despite trying to give the impression he’s got the government’s ear.

Back on topic - not a good day for VS. No change as regards the US, and Barbados failed to make the green list. BA, meanwhile, are hastily adding new flights to Faro from any airport they can find.
#960787 by mitchja
07 May 2021, 18:28
Just requested my SFO flights for June 1st be changed to an open ticket.

Full update from VS Trade after today's announcement:

HM Government announcement of Green and Amber lists for 17 May restart

The UK Government has now confirmed the important step that non-essential international travel can resume from 17 May, allocating countries either a ‘Green’, ‘Amber’ or ‘Red’ status according to a risk-based traffic light system. The full details of the requirements for travellers returning to England from these destinations can be found on GOV.UK: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-a ... ng-england. These country lists will be kept under regular review.

Please note, this system applies to arrivals to England. Travellers must continue to check the requirements they need to comply with for other origin or destination countries before you travel. The latest UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) foreign travel advice can be found here.

For ‘Green’ countries travellers will need to take a pre-departure antigen test before returning to England, but do not need to self-isolate upon arrival, instead taking a PCR test on or before day 2 in England. For ‘Amber’ countries travellers will need to take two PCR tests, on day 2 and 8 of their 10-day quarantine at home, but they may be able to end self-isolation early through the ‘Test to Release’ scheme, if they take a PCR test on day 5.

To make booking their trip as convenient as possible, travellers can find details of recommended Covid-19 test providers here and we continue to work with partners to ensure pricing remains as competitive as possible.

From 17 May, the following countries served by Virgin Atlantic Airways have been allocated:

Green: Israel (will move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May)

Amber: Antigua, Barbados, China, Cuba, Grenada, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Nigeria, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, St Vincent and the Grenadines

Remaining on the Red list: India, Pakistan, South Africa

Following the publication of the initial ‘Green’ and ‘Amber’ country lists, we’re ready to welcome customers back to some of their favourite destinations, ensuring all our customers fly safe and well. To ensure they can book with confidence we have a flexible booking policy so that if things change, we’ve got our customers covered. We do understand that the Covid-19 situation remains dynamic and ongoing restrictions may pose difficulties to our customers with upcoming travel plans. If they are unable to travel for any reason, we offer as much choice and flexibility as possible to help our customers amend their plans.

Fly safe, fly well
#960793 by mitchja
08 May 2021, 13:40
deep_south wrote:Our VS5 to Miami on Friday 21st May has just been "rescheduled" to Thursday 20th... Seems more like a cancellation to me...

As that schedule change is more than 3 hours different from your original, you are now entitled a full refund.
#960794 by Seyre1972
08 May 2021, 18:11
Had notification of a change to a return flight

Original

Departing
Mon 24MAY at 19:00
Arriving
Tue 25MAY at 7:00

Re-sceduled
Departing
Mon 24MAY at 08:15
Arriving
Tue 24MAY at 20:05

Effectively losing 2/3 of a working day.

Going to speak with them re rescheduling or cancelling as definitely > 3hr change.
#960796 by NorthernLad
08 May 2021, 19:55
Seyre1972 wrote:Had notification of a change to a return flight

Original

Departing
Arriving

Re-sceduled
Departing
Arriving

Going to speak with them re rescheduling or cancelling as definitely > 3hr change.

Its possible someone just got their 24 hour clock mixed up - we had something very similar some weeks ago and the change was only about an hour rather than 12 hours.
eg they may actually mean depart 24MAY 20.15 -Arrive 25MAY 08.05
#960798 by mattyp
08 May 2021, 20:16
Which route and flight number is this?

Original

Departing
Arriving

Re-sceduled
Departing
Arriving

#960799 by Seyre1972
09 May 2021, 06:17
mattyp wrote:Which route and flight number is this?

Original

Departing
Arriving

Re-sceduled
Departing
Arriving

Apologies missed that detail - this is the return leg - LHR - JFK - LHR . Original flight was VS4, appears new flight is VS26 (doesn’t explicitly say VS26, just flight 26)

Re them not knowing how to work a 24 hr clock ... :-D both online and emails reflect same changes - so hopefully human error not a factor.
#960804 by Hev60
09 May 2021, 12:57

Original

Departing
Arriving

Re-sceduled
Departing
Arriving

Saw your additional post about the clock and saying this was a New York return flight ;-)
Unless you’ve got special entitlements (or whatever they call it?), I was wondering whether the flights to & from nyc will operate anyway due to the US border not being open yet?
#960805 by mitchja
09 May 2021, 13:18
Several VS flights have been and are still are op’ing with their original flight numbers.

VS TATL flights still running:

VS 3 / VS 4
VS 5 / VS 6
VS 11 / VS 12
VS 23 / VS 24
VS 25 / VS 26
VS 103 / VS 104

There may be some others I’ve missed?

That leaves pax in a murky area as the flight is still op’ing but you can’t fly on them.

I wonder if this is why VS are now moving pax onto flights with more than a 3hr schedule difference or changing schedules in order to facilitate the refund option?
#960813 by NY-LON
10 May 2021, 16:13
On a different but related note (although apologies in advance if this has already be discussed), I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on what might happen to FCDO advice. Everyone has been focusing on DfT list, but the FCDO has a separate list that drives whether travel insurance companies will cover you. So you could have a situation where a country is amber, but you really still can't travel even if you are willing to quarantine on return.

I ask because I am scheduled to go to Hawaii on the 10th of June (which I can do as a US citizen). If the FCDO advice doesn't change by then, in theory we won't be able to get travel insurance. If I was just going to visit my parents I would risk it, but travelling around Hawaii without insurance is another matter entirely

However, I have also read that the FCDO may change its approach and align its advice with the traffic light system by the 17th of May.

I suspect no-one knows for sure, but curious if anyone has any speculation at what might happen?
#960817 by AlecK
10 May 2021, 19:34
NY-LON wrote: in theory we won't be able to get travel insurance.

One of the dibbers who traveled to the US by quarantining for 14 days on the way reported that insurance from Battleface enabled travel against FCO advice.
#960822 by flyingfox
11 May 2021, 11:05
Some positive moves from our friends on the other side of the pond made yesterday with a lowering of the travel advisory from “do not travel” to “reconsider travel”, small steps but moving in the right direction and let’s not forget the UK has 3 “International Travel Checkpoints” on the 28th June, 31st July and 1st October where things like testing and which countries can be moved within the traffic light system.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/us- ... l-advisory
#960824 by VS075
11 May 2021, 13:12
NY-LON wrote:On a different but related note (although apologies in advance if this has already be discussed), I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on what might happen to FCDO advice. Everyone has been focusing on DfT list, but the FCDO has a separate list that drives whether travel insurance companies will cover you. So you could have a situation where a country is amber, but you really still can't travel even if you are willing to quarantine on return.

I ask because I am scheduled to go to Hawaii on the 10th of June (which I can do as a US citizen). If the FCDO advice doesn't change by then, in theory we won't be able to get travel insurance. If I was just going to visit my parents I would risk it, but travelling around Hawaii without insurance is another matter entirely

However, I have also read that the FCDO may change its approach and align its advice with the traffic light system by the 17th of May.

I suspect no-one knows for sure, but curious if anyone has any speculation at what might happen?

All you can do is contact your travel insurance company and ask. It is possible to get cover for countries where the FCO advises against all travel, though probably not as widely available as normal travel insurance, plus they will probably take a dim view if they weren't notified of your plans.

The focus on the DfT's list is because it determines what testing and quarantine periods apply. The FCO not placing any travel restrictions counts for nothing if the DfT decide the COVID situation in that country warrants it being placed on the amber or red lists.
#960825 by ScoobySu
11 May 2021, 14:28
mitchja wrote:It's going to be a nightmare though getting your GP surgery to give access to your medical records. So far I've tried and apparently failed to get access to my medical records so I don't think it's going to be easy for a lot of people.

Edit to add - just rang my surgery again (this is after 2 phone calls and 2 separate visits to collect an online access form, give it back and show them ID 3 weeks ago) and they are now going to re-send me my Patient Access link registration details in the post which I didn't initially receive and is needed apparently.

People might want to start this process now if you plan to travel in the summer!

The BBC are now saying that the NHS app will be updated from 17/05/2021 to show vaccine status only after both doses have been received and will apparently be separate from GP records - fingers crossed as I've been having the same issues getting the app linked to my records ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57070185

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstrating-your-covid-19-vaccination-status-when-travelling-abroad#how-to-access-your-covid-19-vaccination-status
#960827 by Seyre1972
11 May 2021, 14:32
Hev60 wrote:

Original

Departing
Arriving

Re-sceduled
Departing
Arriving

Saw your additional post about the clock and saying this was a New York return flight ;-)
Unless you’ve got special entitlements (or whatever they call it?), I was wondering whether the flights to & from nyc will operate anyway due to the US border not being open yet?

Called Customer Services today - absolutely no issues in moving flights till early September. Should/if US start allowing arrivals earlier - I may grab an earlier flight and cancel the postponed ones (checked and told that would be do-able)
#960828 by mitchja
11 May 2021, 15:49
ScoobySu wrote:
mitchja wrote:It's going to be a nightmare though getting your GP surgery to give access to your medical records. So far I've tried and apparently failed to get access to my medical records so I don't think it's going to be easy for a lot of people.

Edit to add - just rang my surgery again (this is after 2 phone calls and 2 separate visits to collect an online access form, give it back and show them ID 3 weeks ago) and they are now going to re-send me my Patient Access link registration details in the post which I didn't initially receive and is needed apparently.

People might want to start this process now if you plan to travel in the summer!

The BBC are now saying that the NHS app will be updated from 17/05/2021 to show vaccine status only after both doses have been received and will apparently be separate from GP records - fingers crossed as I've been having the same issues getting the app linked to my records ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57070185

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstrating-your-covid-19-vaccination-status-when-travelling-abroad#how-to-access-your-covid-19-vaccination-status

I finally got access to my digital medical records. My GP surgery sent me a letter with the link ID and passcode required in the Patient Access website/app.

All now accessible via the Patient Access platform including my COVID vaccine status (only had my 1st one so far, 2nd due July 8).
Virgin Atlantic