This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961514 by Emily76
30 Jul 2021, 19:40
Earlier this month I flew with Virgin Atlantic and I was unfortunate enough to be staying in the same hotel as the VS cabin crew.

Whenever I was in the hotel lobby in the mid-afternoon, around 3pm-5pm the cabin crew in full uniform were in the lobby. They were talking about sexual activities. I was quite shocked and they weren't exactly keeping it to themselves, the whole lobby could hear them and it was obvious some people, especially those with young families were easily offended and took 'shelter' elsewhere from the echoey Essex accent.

I am surprised that cabin crew who dress as obviously as VS thought it suitable to make such an impression.

these were women and men and discussing given techniques and advice, from women to men which somewhat made it worse!

ewwwww
Last edited by mitchja on 31 Jul 2021, 13:21, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed sexual descriptions
#961516 by Bombardier
31 Jul 2021, 12:50
Oh Emily, how dreadful fo you.
You must’ve hung around for quite a while listening to a conversation that was none of your business, I’ll take an educated guess that you’re exaggerating what you heard.
Perhaps you were jealous that cabin crew were getting something you aren’t.
#961521 by ColOrd
31 Jul 2021, 16:05
Emily76 wrote:these were women and men and discussing given techniques and advice, from women to men which somewhat made it worse!

ewwwww

What difference does this make? I am somewhat perturbed that this comes across a little either sexist or homophobic, and I’m not quite sure what the point of this is.

If the conversation was as bad as you say, then yes there is a genuine place for discretion and the crew probably shouldn’t have been as “colourful” in their discussions , but I am curious like Bombardier just how close and how long you hung around! Hotel lobbies especially down route in the US are not known to be quiet places.
#961525 by PilotWolf
31 Jul 2021, 18:31
In all seriousness I m straight so can't comment on the male crew but most of the females are pretty cute. Yeah I know it's not PC these days.

But every one of the crew I've dealt with over the years has been very professional, I'm surprised to hear that they behaved this way in uniform.

PW
#961526 by Kraken
31 Jul 2021, 19:29
I too would be surprised if this happened exactly as suggested / described. Hotel lobbies are "busy" places with lots of people coming and going. Yes, a group of VS staff waiting for a crew bus to the airport would be easily identifiable from their uniforms. However, you'd have to be standing right next to them to eavesdrop on their conversations, or they were really shouting out loud about sexual activities. I strongly doubt the latter. If - and I say IF - they were shouting out about sexual activity - then I would have expected a figure from hotel management to intervene and tell them to tone it down. Despite what many think, a lot of Americans find "sex talk" or nudity highly offensive (you'd never get a "Page 3" in an American newspaper... yes I know it's gone here now too, but not the point).

I am sure all Virgin Crew know they are representing the company even when off duty (as they likely would have been in the hotel lobby) and in uniform. Where I am currently working, we make it 100% clear to staff that if they stop off anywhere whilst travelling to / from work in uniform, then their behaviour should reflect positively on the company / brand.

It has to be said that pretty much all the Virgin crew I have had serving me over the years have been highly professional. This is possibly just a case of one or two bad-apples in the cart, as there will always be one or two... until they get caught.
#961529 by mikethe3rd
31 Jul 2021, 22:42
I was once sat in 11A with a long taxi and the conversation from the crew behind was ‘entertaining.’ It didn’t bother me, and to be totally honest, it filled a 30 minute hole (so to speak), but I did wonder if she realised her voice carried as much as what it did.

With what I experienced (once), I do believe the original poster, but please don’t formally complain about these people… whilst they’re in the VS uniform, it’s easy to forget when they’re amongst colleagues and friends in a hotel lobby. They’re some of the best crew in the sky and if it happened as you described, I’m sure the FSM and Captain will take it upon themselves to decide if their words deserve further action.
#961541 by Miked1e
02 Aug 2021, 09:31
Bombardier wrote:I, unlike many on here saw the original text from the OP before it was edited out by the moderator.
She went into great detail of what acts the cabin crew were discussing, I didn’t and still don’t believe a word she typed.
Troll? Wouldn’t be surprised.

Considering the exact same post / thread has been removed from at least 2 other forums relating to Disney / Orlando (with these posts being first ever post on the forums) then I am sure you are correct.
#961544 by 747G-VXLG
02 Aug 2021, 10:04
Bombardier wrote:I, unlike many on here saw the original text from the OP before it was edited out by the moderator.
She went into great detail of what acts the cabin crew were discussing, I didn’t and still don’t believe a word she typed.
Troll? Wouldn’t be surprised.

I too saw the original post and also don’t believe a word of it.

Bombardier wrote:Oh Emily, how dreadful for you.
You must’ve hung around for quite a while listening to a conversation that was none of your business, I’ll take an educated guess that you’re exaggerating what you heard.
Perhaps you were jealous that cabin crew were getting something you aren’t.

Got to admit your first response really made me laugh! :-D
#961546 by VS075
02 Aug 2021, 12:32
mikethe3rd wrote:I was once sat in 11A with a long taxi and the conversation from the crew behind was ‘entertaining.’ It didn’t bother me, and to be totally honest, it filled a 30 minute hole (so to speak), but I did wonder if she realised her voice carried as much as what it did.

With what I experienced (once), I do believe the original poster, but please don’t formally complain about these people… whilst they’re in the VS uniform, it’s easy to forget when they’re amongst colleagues and friends in a hotel lobby. They’re some of the best crew in the sky and if it happened as you described, I’m sure the FSM and Captain will take it upon themselves to decide if their words deserve further action.

What your episode shows (along with the OP's if it is true) is that you have to be aware of your surroundings and how you talk and act whilst on duty and/or in uniform. I expect companies will be wary of their employees saying or doing anything whilst wearing company uniform that could bring them into disrepute. I'd have thought the salient point that wearing the uniform equals you're representing the company whether you're on duty or not would be mentioned at some point during training. I'm also pretty sure some companies have strict policies about not wearing uniform outside of work for that reason, including when commuting to/from work.
#961550 by International Hitman
02 Aug 2021, 15:36
Sorry to resurrect a locked post but felt I had to stick up for my favourite airline/crew.

Mods feel free to remove or lock as necessary

Adjonline had commented in the original [now locked ] post :

And surprisingly similar to this 2003(!) FlyerTalk post…

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin- ... crude.html

That FT post of 18 years ago used exactly the same phrases

1] "and I was unfortunate enough to be staying in the same hotel as the VS cabin crew."
2] "Whenever I was in the hotel lobby in the mid-afternoon, around 3pm-5pm the cabin crew in full uniform were in the lobby"
3] "I was quite shocked and they weren't exactly keeping it to themselves, the whole lobby could hear them and it was obvious some people, especially those with young families were easily offended and took 'shelter' elsewhere from the echoey Essex accent."
4] "these were women and men and discussing given techniques and advice, from women to men which somewhat made it worse!"

I'm not trying to open up this post again or comment on the original 18 year old post --- but think it is now fairly obvious that this recent post is false!
Virgin Atlantic