This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961492 by ColOrd
29 Jul 2021, 13:26
Reports that VS are quoting booking up 250% on NY-LON and over 100% for US travel thanks to the easing of restrictions on US travellers.

Even if its not good for us right now, I think everyone needs to breath a sigh of relief for VS that it's more business coming through the doors, more bums on seats and more cash in the bank!
#961502 by ColOrd
29 Jul 2021, 20:55
I have ExpertFlyer and regularly have a look at flights on the day on the seatmaps.

Slowly they are filling, Upper seems to be the busiest cabin right now in percentage terms.

I’d say most US flights are generally at the moment about at the following levels-
J 40-70%
W 10-50%
Y 30-60%
#961507 by 747G-VXLG
29 Jul 2021, 21:55
ColOrd wrote:I have ExpertFlyer and regularly have a look at flights on the day on the seatmaps.

Slowly they are filling, Upper seems to be the busiest cabin right now in percentage terms.

I’d say most US flights are generally at the moment about at the following levels-
J 40-70%
W 10-50%
Y 30-60%

Do you know how full the red list destination flights are?
#961508 by ColOrd
29 Jul 2021, 22:53
Looking at Seatmaps only for tomorrow’s Lahore
1 in J
15 in w
9 in Y
On a 789

Return sector LHE-LHR so far
19 in J
24 in W
Seat map for Y is full!
#961513 by flyingfox
30 Jul 2021, 18:05
VS cargo have published August’s flight schedules ;

https://www.virginatlanticcargo.com/con ... HEDULE.pdf

And over on the main VS site they have been making cosmetic changes and updates, I think they are still working on things as under the upper class food and drink section they say the bar is on the A330 and B737, also under the US destinations, restart dates have been added but don’t quite reflect the VS trade advisories as LAS is “expected to recommence on the 22nd Aug ( cancelled upto 29th as per trade notice) and the LAX clubhouse looks to have survived closure unless of course that’s also a mistake.
#961534 by flyingfox
01 Aug 2021, 14:36
Well the JFK Clubhouse has reopened under the management of Plaza Premium which has already been reported. Plaza P has updated its website and it looks like there will be significant overlap of eligible passengers given access via VS existing criteria for entry and the various pay per visit options now available during these times;

OPENING HOURS
0430 - 0800 & 1430 - 2130 daily

https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/en-u ... ted-by-ppg
#961535 by mitchja
01 Aug 2021, 14:54
flyingfox wrote:Well the JFK Clubhouse has reopened under the management of Plaza Premium which has already been reported. Plaza P has updated its website and it looks like there will be significant overlap of eligible passengers given access via VS existing criteria for entry and the various pay per visit options now available during these times;

OPENING HOURS
0430 - 0800 & 1430 - 2130 daily

https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/en-u ... ted-by-ppg

In all honesty I don’t think there will be much to worry about with this. For a start entry numbers will be limited each day and at almost ~$70 per adult, the entry price will put many off as well.

If you try and book, it doesn’t actually allow paid entry after 17:00 either.
#961549 by pidgeofcdf
02 Aug 2021, 15:11
i checked my flight on september 4th and it’s still available to book. although the upper seat map is getting more and more availability as the days pass! (was full only a few months ago)
i’m
holding out for cancellation to get a refund.
i was expecting it to be cancelled last week but i guess virgin had hoped after the UK’s quarantine announced the USA would reciprocate. my thoughts are if president Biden had wanted to allow us in he would have done it a month or two ago when cases were lower on both sides.
#961577 by VS075
04 Aug 2021, 12:15
VIR75L wrote:People are posting on Facebook (the reliable source that it is), that Virgin are cancelled Florida flights until the end of September.

The person said the phoned up and was told this by the colleague on the phone.

Any ‘official’ confirmation?

To be honest, I can understand if anybody doesn't want to go to Florida right now or in the coming weeks given the COVID situation there: -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58077209

To summarise the article: -

*Approx. 11,500 in hospital for COVID-19
*Record hospital admissions on Saturday (doesn't elaborate how many exactly)
*Florida and Texas responsible for one in three new COVID cases across the whole of the USA
#961578 by VIR75L
04 Aug 2021, 12:44
I’m of the opposite opinion, get me out there as soon as, but there we go.

From someone who had COVID last year, now double vaccinated, I’m ready to live my life again.

I’ll stick to the rules (and still wear a mask here in the UK for the benefit of others), I’ll jump through hoops, but after 2, soon to be 3 cancelled trips, and a UK ‘holiday’ in June, I’m personally ‘done’ with living in fear.
#961585 by Hev60
04 Aug 2021, 17:36
VS075 wrote:
To be honest, I can understand if anybody doesn't want to go to Florida right now or in the coming weeks given the COVID situation there: -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58077209

To summarise the article: -

*Approx. 11,500 in hospital for COVID-19
*Record hospital admissions on Saturday (doesn't elaborate how many exactly)
*Florida and Texas responsible for one in three new COVID cases across the whole of the USA

I recently cancelled a villa booking we had for April 2022. The American owner was not surprised that as a British family didn’t want to go to Florida because we would not feel safe there.
We have all been double vaccinated and by next year, some of us will have even got the booster!
The villa owner says lots of Brits have cancelled recently. She pointed out the lack of vaccine uptake in the State is frightening and says the numbers are raging out of control, even worse than during the first two waves.

Virgin Atlantic are aware than Pres.Biden won’t open those borders in the near future and that’s why they are looking at other destinations as Mitchja has pointed out, ie to Bahamas & extra flights to BGI which is really good news.
My villa owner predicted Spring 2022 at the earliest before the tourist ban is lifted.
#961595 by VS075
05 Aug 2021, 07:58
VIR75L wrote:I’m of the opposite opinion, get me out there as soon as, but there we go.

From someone who had COVID last year, now double vaccinated, I’m ready to live my life again.

I’ll stick to the rules (and still wear a mask here in the UK for the benefit of others), I’ll jump through hoops, but after 2, soon to be 3 cancelled trips, and a UK ‘holiday’ in June, I’m personally ‘done’ with living in fear.

I never said I didn't want to go at this time even if I could.

Each to their own, but to be honest the biggest blocker for me at the moment is the UK government's approach to travel and the rigmarole of testing and the associated costs involved, with each country having different testing requirements. As a household who is in full-time work, we can't afford nor don't have the time to play Russian Roulette with whether a country is going to be red listed in a few weeks. The recent easements of rules about travelling to amber list countries if double vaccinated helps a bit.

Hev60 wrote:Virgin Atlantic are aware than Pres.Biden won’t open those borders in the near future and that’s why they are looking at other destinations as Mitchja has pointed out, ie to Bahamas & extra flights to BGI which is really good news.

Indeed. Diversification is a good thing and it's good to see a return to the Bahamas. I think this pandemic has shown how VS need to be more diverse and not rely on a strategy predominantly focused on the USA market despite the lucrativeness of it in normal times. I observed quite a lot of consolidation of focus on that market during the Craig Kreeger years, though I noted diversification happening under Shai Weiss even before COVID struck (Tel Aviv, Cape Town, Sao Paulo, etc.).
#961617 by flyingfox
07 Aug 2021, 21:31
pidgeofcdf wrote:looks like my flight on september 4th to mco has been cancelled (booking still live but not on sale anymore)
i guess virgin have followed ba in cancelling up to or around 5th september.

Definitely some tinkering going on in the background as my 31st Aug flight to LAS has now gone indirect ( good sign of potential cancellation) and my inbound on the 6th via SFO which is still on sale was originally showing as a 787 on the VS20 but the seat plan is an A350, when trying to change seats it displays error messages, again not a good sign.
#961620 by EmmaPeel007
08 Aug 2021, 04:18
I just checked and both our flights are no longer for sale. September 15 from LAX to LHR and also September 27th from LHR to LAX. We were on the earlier flights on 787s but but now they only show the later flights on the A350s. Wonder when we'll be getting emails from them about this change. Since they are both +3 hours looks like we'll be getting refunds.
#961622 by VIR75L
08 Aug 2021, 11:40
I spoke to VH yesterday and they said the flights from MAN for WC 30 August (we fly on the Sunday that week) have been taken off sale pending review, with a cancellation very likely any day.

Officially, VH have only called up to and including 29 August currently.
#961629 by JCBR
09 Aug 2021, 16:12
mitchja wrote:
flyingfox wrote:Well the JFK Clubhouse has reopened under the management of Plaza Premium which has already been reported.

Based on my experience in the Plaza Premium lounge that VS use in HKG at the weekend it is anything other than premium. Hope they will do a better job at JFK.
#961631 by Louie84x
10 Aug 2021, 12:51
Just rearranged our cancelled Aug flights to Vegas to next May. Surely we must be allowed in by then…! Altho I said that last year about this Aug so I won’t hold my breath…

Amazingly Virgin let us move our 50% off reward redemption flights to new dates (that had no reward availability showing) without paying any extra mileage, so I’m taking that as a massive win :D
#961658 by mitchja
12 Aug 2021, 10:33
Latest update from VS Trade:

As a result of ongoing travel restrictions from the UK to the US, we have pushed back the restart of some transatlantic flights, including our Orlando services from London Heathrow and Manchester. We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused to our customers and look forward to returning to these destinations as soon as possible. World-leading vaccination programmes in both countries means the transatlantic corridor can safely open in both directions and we continue to urge the UK Government to go further and move the US to the UK’s ‘Green list’ and for the Biden administration to repeal the 212F proclamation, which currently prevents UK visitors from entering the US.

As a result of the fast-moving travel environment, we continue to make schedule changes which will affect our Flying Programme for the coming weeks.

We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.

Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.

Cancellations

Effective until & including

USA

LHR-MCO 15 Sep
MAN-MCO 15 Sep
LHR-LAS 31 Aug
LHR-IAD 31 Aug
LHR-SEA 31 Aug
LHR-SFO 31 Aug

During August we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our current flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 12-22 Aug, 4 per week 23-31 Aug, 5 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 5-22 Aug, 3 per week 23-28 Aug, 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 14 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 3 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 2-10 Aug, 2 per week 11-31 Aug, 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
LHR-GND-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week