This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961964 by domboy
16 Jul 2023, 17:03
Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, I'm sure it probably has, but we're looking at going to MCO on the 9th November 2024 and return back on the 23rd November 2024. Because we're trying to keep costs down (as much as you can going to Florida), we'll probably go economy. I know the the flights haven't been released yet but I was wondering, if I wanted to purchase with my flying club points, what's the best way of doing it?

A: Wait until the 23rd November flights have been released and book a return points flight, hoping any outbound reward flights are still around (ideally the 11:30am ones)
B: Book two singles on the day the flights are released
C: Something else that I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance - So far I've always failed to use my points haha - so keen to try and use them for our trip but unsure of the best way to go around it.

Dom
#961967 by ela123
16 Jul 2023, 18:18
What I’ve done is book the outbound online on the day they’re released then when the return flights come up either live chat or phone virgin and ask them to make it into a return flight as the taxes are cheaper
#961971 by CommanderB
17 Jul 2023, 12:44
There's no risk to booking two single tickets with reward flights thanks to them being fully flexible. If you book the outbound and then can't find options for the inbound for some reason, you can just cancel the outbound minus a £30 admin fee. This fee is waived for Golds.

I would go with option B, booking two singles when the flights are released.

Note that it's not uncommon with VS to see the reward flights a few days after the revenue fares are loaded. They aren't always done together.

If your budget can stretch, I'd book Premium over Economy as it's better value for your points - but thats your call.

Enjoy the trip!
#961975 by ela123
17 Jul 2023, 15:08
Just look at the price of the taxes. It’s a lot more expensive to book each way as single fares than asking virgin to make the return flight into a return booking as the taxes then only get charged for a return rather than 2 singles. If your happy to pay more it is easier to book 2 single fares.
#961991 by domboy
18 Jul 2023, 20:11
Thanks all
Some great advice and I’ll have a look when the outbound is released and then keep an eye one the return and ask Virgin to update the booking. If they won’t, no worries, at least we’ll have our outbound choice

Thank you
#962029 by mjb
22 Jul 2023, 20:19
I just did exactly this for flights in May next year. Booked the outbound then phoned up to book the return on the day of release and they changed my ticket into a return and I paid the difference in taxes. Works out cheaper than 2 singles.

The system automatically adds on the £30 change fee when you do this but the agent managed to waive it so watch out for that.
#962851 by starquake
27 Nov 2023, 15:16
Having done this redemption in Upper a couple of times now, I'd say the best bet is doing the first single, then ringing up to add the return on day of release.
Be aware this flight is very redemption heavy, and with limited seats to redeem, you may want to be "flexible" on dates, one or two either direction, and hotels are relatively cheap (as are Timeshares) in MCO so just pay the extra. We tend (if we prebooking accom) to prebook Villa to fully include day of departure, or add on a day or two of Disney timeshare at end to take advantage of some of Disneys nightlife options on final night. This allows us to work with whatever flights the airline has available, as it's not ALWAYS possible to get the dates your want even with above, especially in Upper (I know you not looking at Upper).

The sweet spot for us used to be doing a Economy Delight fare, with a upgrade to PE or UC -> guarantees you on the flight regardless, and the amount of miles to upgrade when discounted from what you earn again in Economy Delight is reduced significantly versus a full redemption. The actual price worked out last few times we done it as not overall that much more than a full redemption for a lot less miles (thought I think Virgin have changed their systems since).
Virgin Atlantic