This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962068 by mitchja
25 Sep 2021, 16:01
I personally don't see VS re-configuring any of their existing A/C. That's extra capital expenditure VS will want to avoid at this point in time.

VS have changed my MAN>ATL>FLL flights in early Nov to MAN>JFK both ways today (the Delta bits still need to catch up though as that's still showing ATL>FLL so far).

Does me a favour as I'll now get the JFK Clubhouse instead of the ATL DL SkyClub and the VS A/C is still an A333 :cool:
#962069 by 747G-VXLG
25 Sep 2021, 17:46
mitchja wrote:I personally don't see VS re-configuring any of their existing A/C. That's extra capital expenditure VS will want to avoid at this point in time.


I don’t think it would cost much to reconfigure the A350s as they can just move the premium seats forward, remove some of the upper to use on future aircraft and add some more rows of economy. They could probably do it in the hangar at LHR.
#962070 by 747G-VXLG
25 Sep 2021, 17:48
steveb wrote:Has the A350 been deployed on any December flights yet?

Edit: In leisure configuration I mean.


I’ve only noticed them on from 1st January 2022. It will depend how quick they can get G-VEVE. I would assume the A350 would be on in time for the Christmas holidays.
#962073 by vic110
25 Sep 2021, 21:30
It does look like that the Man-Atlanta flights have been cancelled till the end of December. Our flight from Atlanta on 1st December has been changed to JFK - Man. I'm not sure how they expect us to get to New York though as they haven't put us on an internal flight. We are actually staying in Florida so it would be much easier to put us on a flight from Orlando. I will have to ring Virgin to see what our options are.
I haven't had an e mail either - I checked my flights by logging in
This was a reward flight so will we be able to change this flight even if there is no reward availability?
We are a still a little unsure what to do about this trip as we are due to fly out on 13th Nov and we still don't know what date the boarders are going to open. We also only have till mid October to cancel our accommodation so need to decide pretty soon.
What are your thoughts about the chances that Boris will put USA on the red list once the boarders do open due to the increasing covid cases especially in Florida.
#962075 by ColOrd
25 Sep 2021, 22:34
747G-VXLG wrote:
steveb wrote:Has the A350 been deployed on any December flights yet?

Edit: In leisure configuration I mean.


I’ve only noticed them on from 1st January 2022. It will depend how quick they can get G-VEVE. I would assume the A350 would be on in time for the Christmas holidays.


Absolutely not, it’s huge capital outlay to move and reconfigure aircraft like that. The plans for the “LHR” config with 44J seats remain, to replace the 346 which had 45J

These aircraft are being deployed on routes where they need the J capacity, thats LA, JFK, SFO! These routes have long standing rich and deep pockets both for leisure and business and will continue to need a higher J capacity, so any concept of reconfiging the 350s is total pie in the sky.
#962076 by mitchja
25 Sep 2021, 23:02
My MAN>ATL>FLL flight for Dec 28 booking still looks to be intact and still on sale so I've no idea now what's going on?

There are still a few MAN>ATL flights on sale during Dec so far (Tues, Thurs + Sat) so no ides if they will last or not?
#962078 by VIR75L
26 Sep 2021, 17:12
vic110 wrote:It does look like that the Man-Atlanta flights have been cancelled till the end of December. Our flight from Atlanta on 1st December has been changed to JFK - Man. I'm not sure how they expect us to get to New York though as they haven't put us on an internal flight. We are actually staying in Florida so it would be much easier to put us on a flight from Orlando. I will have to ring Virgin to see what our options are.
I haven't had an e mail either - I checked my flights by logging in
This was a reward flight so will we be able to change this flight even if there is no reward availability?
We are a still a little unsure what to do about this trip as we are due to fly out on 13th Nov and we still don't know what date the boarders are going to open. We also only have till mid October to cancel our accommodation so need to decide pretty soon.
What are your thoughts about the chances that Boris will put USA on the red list once the boarders do open due to the increasing covid cases especially in Florida.


There won’t be any increase in Florida by mid-November regardless of what happens with borders opening in November. Cases are also a lot lower than they have been in Florida and continue to trend lower. Furthermore, politics will keep the US off the red list unless it was really, really required. Things are unlikely to get worse than they have been in the last 18 months and it hasn’t been red yet.
#962083 by VS075
27 Sep 2021, 12:48
747G-VXLG wrote:
mitchja wrote:I personally don't see VS re-configuring any of their existing A/C. That's extra capital expenditure VS will want to avoid at this point in time.


I don’t think it would cost much to reconfigure the A350s as they can just move the premium seats forward, remove some of the upper to use on future aircraft and add some more rows of economy. They could probably do it in the hangar at LHR.


I don't think it's as simple as that. There's also things such as IFE to reconfigure and a time cost. Remember that every time an aircraft is on the ground it isn't making money. Airlines tend to reconfigure an aircraft and leave it that way until a refurb is due or there's a need to reconfigure it as the flights they would be used on makes it worthwhile and will be needed that way for a long time.

The last time VS reconfigured an aircraft to meet their requirements was the A330-200's as they had no PE cabin during their Air Berlin days. Before that, it was G-VBIG when the LHR 747's were withdrawn and it was reconfigured to match* the remaining 747's.

*I say match, the bar didn't survive as that was in the part of the aircraft that became the PE cabin.
#962085 by Tinuks
27 Sep 2021, 14:05
ColOrd wrote:These aircraft are being deployed on routes where they need the J capacity, thats LA, JFK, SFO! These routes have long standing rich and deep pockets both for leisure and business and will continue to need a higher J capacity, so any concept of reconfiging the 350s is total pie in the sky.


And LOS. We've been keeping the A350s occupied since about October last year.
#962116 by evanspa1
30 Sep 2021, 20:37
SEA flights cancelled (out 9 Nov return 16 Nov). Great flexibility with VS agent happy to make alternative arrangements for me. Call answered within 2 minutes which I was pleasantly surprised by!
#962134 by paulreg
01 Oct 2021, 08:45
paulreg wrote:With the USA reopening in November am concerned to have got an email from VS today advising my VS 5 flight to MIA just b4 Christmas is cancelled?
Does anyone know why VS is cancelling planes to Florida in the week b4 Christmas?



Managed to get through on Thursday evening albeit listening to music for 2 and a half hours. :-)

Friendly agent rebooked me onto another flight and mentioned that quite a few flights in Dec had been cancelled yesterday albeit did not eloborate on why. Seems starnge to be cancelling flights in lead upto to Xmas especailly with USA borders expected to reopen next month.
#962142 by mitchja
01 Oct 2021, 11:21
I'd glad you managed to get it sorted.

Whilst the US boarders may well be opening, the demand properly still isn't there yet especially for leisure destinations such as MCO etc.

There are still a lot of people not confident to travel again yet. The extra costs involved for testing etc adds almost £200 per person as the minute. Holidays will be a low priority for many people now we are about to come out of furlough as well.

I'll be completely honest and say the weeks before my BGI flight were an emotional roller coster for me. Excitement after booking, then panic reading through everything I had to do, what happens if I test positive whilst in BGI? Have I done the right thing in flying at this time? What will the flight be like? What happens if someone onboard the flight test positive? So many questions. There was one point where I nearly phoned VS to cancel this booking. Once I'd received my pre-departure test result I did feel the excitement return again but all the time I've had that little nagging feeling at the back on my mind 'what happens if...'

Even as a seasoned traveller, this trip has not been a walk in the park by any means. I had to make sure all the forms are filled in correctly and at the right times, all the correct testing booked and also done at the right times.

Don't get me wrong......it's been so worth while now I've done it and I'm here in Barbados.

I think the next time I travel again should be a little easier now for me (Nov 10th to FLL all being well) but that first time is not going to be easy for a lot of people.

Don't forget as well that VS reduced their number of employees by nearly half (?) during all of this which will also have a huge impact on VS ops going forwards.

There does seem to be a bit of a misconception that foreign travel will instantly bounce back to the levels we saw in 2019 once all boarders open again. Whilst is properly will, it will happen slowly at first. I suspect 2022 will see quite a few routes being slimmed down by all airlines not just VS.
#962147 by VS075
01 Oct 2021, 12:59
All very true. People will travel, but the testing rigmarole has been a turn-off for me personally and, as you say, not a cheap exercise.

It's a good point about VS employees. Some of those who have been "grounded" for 18 months and are still on the books will need to be retrained before they're allowed to work onboard an aircraft, so ramping up schedules will take time until enough crew are back in place and enough aircraft are available.
#962153 by flyingfox
01 Oct 2021, 15:13
Update from VS Trade;


VSbulletin COVID-19 Ongoing Travel Disruption - 1 October 2021

It remains a dynamic time for international travel and we’re continually reviewing our flying schedules in response to the ongoing impact of Covid-19 and any restrictions in the destinations we fly to. We hope to be back to a full flying programme as soon as we can.

Because of ongoing travel restrictions and Red list designations we are making further adjustments to our Havana and Cape Town schedules, resulting in cancellations. We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused to our customers and look forward to returning to these destinations as soon as possible. The Red list should focus purely on Variants of Concern, in order to protect public health, therefore it’s imperative to rapidly and continuously remove countries that don’t pose a threat, in order to open travel back up to countries like South Africa.

With travel to Jamaica restricted for holidaymakers due to Covid-19-related restrictions, including current FCDO advice against all but essential travel, we’ve seen reduced demand for our new leisure-focussed Manchester-Montego Bay services and therefore we’ve taken the difficult decision to revisit our plans and push back the start of services to Autumn 2022.

Following the confirmed opening of US borders for fully vaccinated international visitors from early November, we’ve also adjusted some of our US schedules. In order to provide sufficient time to ensure operational readiness and as a result of wider network changes, we’ve cancelled further Seattle and Washington DC services. We remain committed to these routes and look forward to returning to both these cities in early 2022, while in the meantime offering a diverse US network serving New York-JFK, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Boston. Our plans for popular Las Vegas and Orlando services will be confirmed very soon.

We apologise to any customers affected by a rescheduling or cancellation.

As a result of the fast-moving travel environment, we continue to make schedule changes which will affect our Flying Programme for the coming weeks.
We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.
Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated on Saturday 2 October 2021.

Cancellations
Effective until & including
USA
LHR-IAD 28 Feb 2022
LHR-SEA 31 Dec 2021
Caribbean
MAN-MBJ 26 Mar 2022
LHR-HAV 25 Mar 2022
South Africa
LHR-CPT 30 Dec 2021

We are also making some frequency updates on selected routes. We will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.

During October we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 7 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 18 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 11 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 4 per week
LHR-SFO-LHR 5-17 Oct, 3 per week/18-31 Oct, 4 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
LHR-GND-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week
LHR-SVD-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week from 13 Oct
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 7 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 7 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week
MAN-ISB-MAN 4 per week from 8 Oct

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG 7 per week
HKG-LHR 1-10 Oct, 11 per week/11-31 Oct, 7 per week

China
LHR-PVG-LHR 1 per week from 22 Oct

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 7 per week

Our partners are also back in the skies, and here's a reminder of where they are flying long-haul from the UK in October.

Our partner Delta Air Lines flying programme

LHR-ATL-LHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 1-19 Oct, Daily/20-31 Oct, 10 per week
LHR-DTW-LHR 3 per week from 18 Oct



VS Cargo October flight schedules can be found here
#962157 by ColOrd
01 Oct 2021, 18:40
WOW! IAD being pushed back to March is a bit of a shocker!
#962158 by 747G-VXLG
01 Oct 2021, 18:49
flyingfox wrote:Update from VS Trade;


VSbulletin COVID-19 Ongoing Travel Disruption - 1 October 2021

It remains a dynamic time for international travel and we’re continually reviewing our flying schedules in response to the ongoing impact of Covid-19 and any restrictions in the destinations we fly to. We hope to be back to a full flying programme as soon as we can.

Because of ongoing travel restrictions and Red list designations we are making further adjustments to our Havana and Cape Town schedules, resulting in cancellations. We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused to our customers and look forward to returning to these destinations as soon as possible. The Red list should focus purely on Variants of Concern, in order to protect public health, therefore it’s imperative to rapidly and continuously remove countries that don’t pose a threat, in order to open travel back up to countries like South Africa.

With travel to Jamaica restricted for holidaymakers due to Covid-19-related restrictions, including current FCDO advice against all but essential travel, we’ve seen reduced demand for our new leisure-focussed Manchester-Montego Bay services and therefore we’ve taken the difficult decision to revisit our plans and push back the start of services to Autumn 2022.

Following the confirmed opening of US borders for fully vaccinated international visitors from early November, we’ve also adjusted some of our US schedules. In order to provide sufficient time to ensure operational readiness and as a result of wider network changes, we’ve cancelled further Seattle and Washington DC services. We remain committed to these routes and look forward to returning to both these cities in early 2022, while in the meantime offering a diverse US network serving New York-JFK, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Boston. Our plans for popular Las Vegas and Orlando services will be confirmed very soon.

We apologise to any customers affected by a rescheduling or cancellation.

As a result of the fast-moving travel environment, we continue to make schedule changes which will affect our Flying Programme for the coming weeks.
We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.
Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated on Saturday 2 October 2021.

Cancellations
Effective until & including
USA
LHR-IAD 28 Feb 2022
LHR-SEA 31 Dec 2021
Caribbean
MAN-MBJ 26 Mar 2022
LHR-HAV 25 Mar 2022
South Africa
LHR-CPT 30 Dec 2021

We are also making some frequency updates on selected routes. We will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.

During October we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR 7 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 18 per week
LHR-LAX-LHR 11 per week
LHR-MIA-LHR 4 per week
LHR-SFO-LHR 5-17 Oct, 3 per week/18-31 Oct, 4 per week

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 7 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ANU-LHR 3 per week
LHR-GND-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week
LHR-SVD-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week from 13 Oct
MAN-BGI-MAN 3 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR 7 per week
LHR-DEL-LHR 7 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 3 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week
MAN-ISB-MAN 4 per week from 8 Oct

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG 7 per week
HKG-LHR 1-10 Oct, 11 per week/11-31 Oct, 7 per week

China
LHR-PVG-LHR 1 per week from 22 Oct

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR 7 per week

Our partners are also back in the skies, and here's a reminder of where they are flying long-haul from the UK in October.

Our partner Delta Air Lines flying programme

LHR-ATL-LHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 1-19 Oct, Daily/20-31 Oct, 10 per week
LHR-DTW-LHR 3 per week from 18 Oct



VS Cargo October flight schedules can be found here


What’s happening with MAN-JFK and MAN-ATL?
Virgin Atlantic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests

Itinerary Calendar