This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962378 by Seyre1972
18 Oct 2021, 09:19
Thank You Mitcha for the timely reminder.

Just checked mine - I renewed April 2021 ....... so maybe a little over confident that we'd be flying again earlier .... :blush:

But a timely reminder to download/save PDF copy of the ESTA onto the phone/iCloud etc

Roll on early December !!
#962409 by flyingfox
21 Oct 2021, 11:03
Update from VS Trade ;

VSbulletin COVID-19 Ongoing Travel Disruption - 21 October 2021

It remains a dynamic time for international travel and we’re continually reviewing our flying schedules in response to the ongoing impact of Covid-19 and any restrictions in the destinations we fly to. We hope to be back to a full flying programme as soon as we can.

Before customers travel, please ensure they are checking the countries entry requirements for their destination.
As a result of the fast-moving travel environment, we continue to make schedule changes which will affect our Flying Programme for the coming weeks.
We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.
Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated on Saturday 23 October 2021.

Cancellations
Effective until & including

China
LHR-PVG 14 Nov 2021

We are also making some frequency updates on selected routes. We will continue to keep our website up to date with all the latest updates to schedule and travel restrictions.

During November we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:

Our flying programme

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR Daily
LHR-BOS-LHR 1-7 Nov, 5 per week/8-30 Nov, 4 per week
LHR-JFK-LHR 3 x Daily
LHR-LAX-LHR 1-21 Nov, 2 x Daily/22-30 Nov, 12 weekly
LHR-MIA-LHR Daily
LHR-SFO-LHR 1-7 Nov, 5 per week/7-29 Nov, 4 per week
LHR-LAS-LHR 4 per week from 8 Nov
LHR-MCO-LHR Daily from 8 Nov
MAN-MCO-MANDaily from 8 Nov
MAN-JFK-MAN Daily from 8 Nov

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR 9 per week
LHR-MBJ-LHR 3 per week, 1-14 Nov/2 per week, 17-30 Nov
LHR-ANU-LHR 4 per week
LHR-GND-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week
LHR-SVD-LHR (via BGI) 2 per week
LHR-NAS-LHR (via MBJ) 2 per week from 20 Nov
MAN-BGI-MAN 4 per week

South Africa
LHR-JNB-LHR 3 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR Daily
LHR-DEL-LHR Daily

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR 4 per week
LHR-ISB-LHR 3 per week
MAN-ISB-MAN 4 per week

Hong Kong
LHR-HKG-HKG Daily

Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR Daily

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR Daily

Our partners are also back in the skies, and here's a reminder of where they are flying long-haul from the UK in October.

Our partner Delta Air Lines flying programme

LHR-ATL-LHR Daily
LHR-JFK-LHR 10 per week
LHR-DTW-LHR 4 per week
LHR-BOS-LHR 3 per week

#962411 by VS075
21 Oct 2021, 12:44
Sealink wrote:I can't see Norwegian or Alitalia (the great survivor to date) getting through this.

All very worrying...

I've just been looking back at this. As of last week, Alitalia is no more and replaced by ITA Airways, a new airline using some ex-AZ assets with a much slimmed down workforce. Time will tell whether ITA will be completely different to what came before it, though they recently bought the AZ brand simply to ensure nobody uses it again (including themselves).

As for Norwegian, they've completely exited long-haul and focusing on markets closer to home, however I see one of their former Chief Executives is behind the new TATL LCC start-up Norse Atlantic. They've taken on leases for some ex-Norwegian 787s and d have plans to serve LGW.
#962412 by flyingfox
21 Oct 2021, 14:17
Virgin Atlantic unveils new Autumn menu across all cabins

Elevated services in Upper Class with enhanced choice of starters and desserts

Re-start of Supper service and signature Extra Bite Burger, cocktails and barista style coffees

New antipasti plates and enhanced desserts in Premium, as well as the reintroduction of hot chocolate service across all cabins

Further steps towards a more sustainable in-flight service with the introduction of wine in cans from emerging UK start-up, Nice Drinks for Premium and Economy

As Virgin Atlantic ramps up services to popular destinations such as San Francisco and Cape Town, the airline has evolved its onboard options with new Autumn menus including the re-introduction of some Upper Class favourites as well as all new sustainable wine in cans for Premium and Economy – all available on board this month.

Following the restart of passenger flying in July 2020, the airline simplified its service onboard to minimise interaction between customers and crew, since then service has been expanded progressively. The updates this month mark another step in delivering award-winning in-flight offerings whilst ensuring health and safety remains top of mind.

Upper Class customers will see the return of Virgin Atlantic’s famous cocktails and barista style coffees, Supper service and Extra Bite menu, as well as enhanced menu options. New starters available include a pear and Waldorf salad or smoked duck breast followed by a main choice of braised pork cheek, roasted trout fillet or vegan spiced cauliflower pie.

Premium updates see new antipasti plate as a starter followed by an autumnal venison stew, spicy jerk chicken or vegan penne Bolognese and finally a delicious dessert option of a New York style cheesecake. Customers looking for a warming mid-flight pick me up will also be pleased to learn that the hot chocolate service has returned across all cabins.

As part of Virgin Atlantic’s commitment to reducing waste, Premium and Economy customers will be trialling the service of Nice Drinks Sauvignon Blanc or Argentinian Malbec as part of the complementary wine service. The cans are 100% recyclable, plastic free and a more sustainable, lighter weight option than wine bottles. Nice Drinks will be available on board from late October.

Corneel Koster, Chief Customer and Operating Officer at Virgin Atlantic commented: “At Virgin Atlantic we know that the travelling experience is about so much more than just getting from A to B. As restrictions continue to ease and customers return to the skies, we’ve introduced some exciting new Autumn menu options, and reintroduced onboard favourites and little touches that make all the difference in enhancing the flying experience for our customers. We’re also proud to be making changes in line with our commitment to offering a more sustainable service, by trialling recyclable wine in cans from Nice Drinks.

“Those joining us on board for the first time since the pandemic can rest assured knowing that health and safety remains top of mind, ensuring that everyone flies safe and well with Virgin Atlantic. We cannot wait to welcome our customers back on board, flying them safely and in style, on a well-deserved holiday or to reunite and reconnect with loved ones, colleagues, business partners or customers”.

NEW MENU UPDATES

(Based on menus for UK outbound flights. All menus across the network showcase a refreshed range and vary per route.)

New Upper Class Menu:

Welcome champagne and snacks
- Including full bar service and the reintroduction of cocktails and barista style coffees

Dine service
Starters
Pear Waldorf Salad, baby pear, toasted sunflower seeds and loverage leaves (v)
Smoked duck breast, fennel and dill salad, Seville orange marmalade and crostini

Entree
Braised pork cheek, cauliflower purée, potato fondant, kale and red wine jus
Roasted fillet of trout, chickpea masala, Gujarati green beans, red pepper pakoras and creamy curry sauce
Vegan spiced cauliflower, spinach and lentil pastry pie, sautéed Lyonnaise potatoes, garden vegetables and herb gravy (ve)
Plus regionally inspired dishes on specific routes

Desserts
Lemon and coconut dome, coconut cream and freeze dried raspberries
Wensleydale with cranberry, cheddar, chutney, grapes and crostini

A night flight supper service
Cream of tomato soup, served with a warm double cheese toastie (v)

Extra Bite Service
Eric Lanlard Mile High Tea

Mozzarella, artichoke and lemon basil mayonnaise in a mini malted roll and harissa chickpea and red pepper wrap
Scone, clotted cream and strawberry jam; Lemon posset éclair, passionfruit tart and blackberry and bay macaron
Burger - Buttermilk chicken burger, red cabbage slaw and crisps
chocolate gateau

Mezze
Kuku sabzi, baby artichoke, sundried tomato, lemon zest marinated olives, with a tabbouleh and pomegranate salad + Rose financier

New Premium Menu

Restart of welcome drinks
New antipasti plate
Feta, pea and herb frittata bite with olive tapenade and sun dried tomato (v)

Entree
Venison stew, wild garlic new potatoes and braised red cabbage
Spicy jerk chicken, rice and beans, with sweetcorn chilli salsa
Vegan penne Bolognese (ve)

Dessert
New York cheesecake

Snacks
Refreshed range of Wander Wall self-serve snack options including new Creative Nature 14 allergens free fruit bar

New Economy Options

Entree
Chicken butternut squash pasta
Thai green vegetables curry

Dessert
Cheese & crackers
Pots & Co Dessert Pot (ve)

Article here
#962413 by DIAZLUXO
21 Oct 2021, 16:27
"Services to Orlando will depart daily from both London Heathrow and Manchester. The route is currently the most booked across Virgin Atlantic’s global portfolio, reaffirming the pent-up demand for families and thrill seekers to enjoy the magic of Florida’s top destination. To meet with the increased demand, the airline will deploy the newest, largest plane in its fleet, the Airbus A350-100 from the 8th -14th November on its Heathrow to Orlando route."
They will use the business configured ones to clarify
#962419 by flyingfox
21 Oct 2021, 18:18
DIAZLUXO wrote:"Services to Orlando will depart daily from both London Heathrow and Manchester. The route is currently the most booked across Virgin Atlantic’s global portfolio, reaffirming the pent-up demand for families and thrill seekers to enjoy the magic of Florida’s top destination. To meet with the increased demand, the airline will deploy the newest, largest plane in its fleet, the Airbus A350-100 from the 8th -14th November on its Heathrow to Orlando route."

Full media release can be found here
#962421 by vic110
21 Oct 2021, 21:24
flyingfox wrote:
DIAZLUXO wrote:"Services to Orlando will depart daily from both London Heathrow and Manchester. The route is currently the most booked across Virgin Atlantic’s global portfolio, reaffirming the pent-up demand for families and thrill seekers to enjoy the magic of Florida’s top destination. To meet with the increased demand, the airline will deploy the newest, largest plane in its fleet, the Airbus A350-100 from the 8th -14th November on its Heathrow to Orlando route."

Full media release can be found here

I wish they would change the MAN- MCO to a A350 for that week. We are flying on 13th Nov and it now looks pretty full so fingers crossed they change this as well
#962430 by ColOrd
23 Oct 2021, 00:31
Just having a quick look and there are three JFKs opping on the 8th, 3,137 and 25 and the 3 and 137 are totally sold out in all cabins (and probably overbooked) and apparently the 25 has at least 9 left in full fare Y (in the Y bucket) and all three are 350s.

It’s a similar story with LA two flights both already oversold with so much Pent up demand VS have to be picky what they put the highest capacity aircraft on!
#962431 by mitchja
23 Oct 2021, 09:15
Whilst this isn't very scientific, over the last week or so I've watched the seat map on my VS127 flight on Nov 10th go from just my and one other seat being allocated in Upper Class (it was like that for several months) to there now just been 8 empty seats on the B789 scheduled to fly that route.
#962445 by mitchja
24 Oct 2021, 11:14
Just noticed that DL have now added a new section to their online manage bookings to upload COVID-19 test results. I've got a MAN>JFK>FLL flight on one ticket in a few weeks and the DL part of the booking now shows this:

Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 11.20.44.png
Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 11.20.44.png (165.23 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

I wonder if VS will do the same as currently their US flight COVID-19 attestation form is separate from online bookings and can be found here.

I would guess anyone with connecting flights will need to upload their pre-departure COVID-19 test results to both VS and DL?
#962447 by Murraymint
24 Oct 2021, 11:55
It will be interesting to see how the documentation element pans out for US trips. On my recent BOS trip from Cyprus via DOH with Qatar everything was physically checked and scanned at the desk, nothing was uploaded. On my way back through LHR with BA, I uploaded everything including UK PLF, Cyprus Flight Pass, Test results and vaccine certification the day before and got a “clear to fly” email but at BOS checkin they still wanted to see physical copies of everything!

Perhaps they are trying to streamline things before the borders open up further on the 8th Nov.
#962453 by flyingfox
24 Oct 2021, 14:37
mitchja wrote:Just noticed that DL have now added a new section to their online manage bookings to upload COVID-19 test results. I've got a MAN>JFK>FLL flight on one ticket in a few weeks and the DL part of the booking now shows this:

I wonder if VS will do the same as currently their US flight COVID-19 attestation form is separate from online bookings and can be found here.

I would guess anyone with connecting flights will need to upload their pre-departure COVID-19 test results to both VS and DL?

They are trialing (or were) the TrustAssure APP if departing from LHR, I am hoping they extend it from all hubs to all applicable destinations from November, anything to simplify the journey will be much appreciated.

Go paperless and save time

If you're flying from London Heathrow to Miami, New York, Boston, Atlanta or Los Angeles, we'll give you the option to trial our new digital test verification process.

Use the TrustAssure web link provided to upload your antigen, LAMP or PCR test result. The online verification tool will give you confirmation of validity within two minutes and one less thing to do at check in.

link here
and here
#962454 by mitchja
24 Oct 2021, 15:07
After traveling to and from BGI the other week, there is absolutely no way I will ever travel now without paper copies of everything. I made a point of printing everything I needed to take with me; even asking the hotel to print my required test results and passenger locator form (PLF) for me. Several other people where doing the same thing.

I witnessed numerous issues at BGI when checking in with pax who couldn't access their required data on apps / handsets etc. All it takes is something like an app crash, no battery or no signal / WiFi etc........

For example, our NHS app on iOS doesn't work without a data connection running so if you don't have roaming enabled or have a WiFi connection you won't be able to access your vax QR codes if requested (those are needed to be uploaded / scanned when filling in the PLF).

iOS 15.1 will offer the ability to add your COVID-19 vax data from the NHS app to Apple Wallet when that rolls out soon though.

The PLF is 4 pages when printed. It a fairly substantial form to fill in requesting quite a lot of info.

Paper all the way here now for me for the foreseeable future. I'm even considering investing in a small portable printer to travel with.

Using and showing paper copies of everything was much quicker and easier for BGI in both directions and I suspect everywhere else will be the same.
#962455 by ColOrd
24 Oct 2021, 15:53
The US have still yet to publish exactly the protocol
for entry yet have they?
#962457 by VIR75L
24 Oct 2021, 20:51
mitchja wrote:After traveling to and from BGI the other week, there is absolutely no way I will ever travel now without paper copies of everything. I made a point of printing everything I needed to take with me; even asking the hotel to print my required test results and passenger locator form (PLF) for me. Several other people where doing the same thing.

I witnessed numerous issues at BGI when checking in with pax who couldn't access their required data on apps / handsets etc. All it takes is something like an app crash, no battery or no signal / WiFi etc........

For example, our NHS app on iOS doesn't work without a data connection running so if you don't have roaming enabled or have a WiFi connection you won't be able to access your vax QR codes if requested (those are needed to be uploaded / scanned when filling in the PLF).

iOS 15.1 will offer the ability to add your COVID-19 vax data from the NHS app to Apple Wallet when that rolls out soon though.

The PLF is 4 pages when printed. It a fairly substantial form to fill in requesting quite a lot of info.

Paper all the way here now for me for the foreseeable future. I'm even considering investing in a small portable printer to travel with.

Using and showing paper copies of everything was much quicker and easier for BGI in both directions and I suspect everywhere else will be the same.

Take screenshots of everything on your phone and you’re good to go - I did it on a Europe trip last month. A zoomed in version and a full screen version. Didn’t have a single issue - I’d have also had data as a back up. Makes a simpler process for those that don’t have a printer at home.
#962475 by flyingfox
25 Oct 2021, 19:21
Further details on the US Entry Requirments

[quote] WASHINGTON (AP) — Two weeks before a new vaccination requirement kicks in for most foreign travelers to the U.S., the Biden administration detailed the new international COVID-19 air travel polices, including exemptions for kids, and new federal contact tracing requirements.

Beginning on Nov. 8, foreign, non-immigrant adults traveling to the United States will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with limited exceptions, and all travelers will need to be tested for the virus before boarding an aircraft to the U.S., with tightened restrictions for those who are not fully vaccinated.

Under the policy, those who are unvaccinated will need to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test within a day of travel, while those who are vaccinated will be allowed to present a test taken within three days of travel.

Children under 18 will not be required to be fully vaccinated, given the inconsistency in the global roll-out of shots for their age cohort, but those aged 2 and over will be subjected to the same COVID-19 testing policy as their parent or guardian.

Fact sheets now published here

Official overview of the guidelines now been published
here

And FAQ here
#962476 by mitchja
26 Oct 2021, 00:40
flyingfox wrote:
Under the policy, those who are unvaccinated will need to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test within a day of travel, while those who are vaccinated will be allowed to present a test taken within three days of travel.

This bit only applies to US citizens though. Any unvaccinated non-US citizen will be denied entry unless they can provide proof of exemption.
#962477 by ColOrd
26 Oct 2021, 00:46
#962491 by VIR75L
26 Oct 2021, 12:47
Normyboy wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it in a quick scroll through. What's the situation regarding the name on your Covid certificate having to match your passport as my middle name is missing from mine? I've read contrary reports on other forums.

Thanks

None of the NHS ones do. It won’t be an issue. Your first and last name must match your passport and t be fine.
#962494 by Normyboy
26 Oct 2021, 13:25
VIR75L wrote:
Normyboy wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it in a quick scroll through. What's the situation regarding the name on your Covid certificate having to match your passport as my middle name is missing from mine? I've read contrary reports on other forums.

Thanks

None of the NHS ones do. It won’t be an issue. Your first and last name must match your passport and t be fine.

Ok, many thanks for confirming
Virgin Atlantic