This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962926 by pem
09 Dec 2023, 14:42
Hi all,

for 20 years I was an annual Virgin flyer to Florida, the last time was when we got locked down in Orlando in March 2019 when Covid struck.

Since then health issues have prevented long haul travel, but I should be OK next year,
I will have no problem obtaining quality travel insurance covering my previous health problems.
Due to not being able to fly I have not been keeping track of flight prices etc like I used to.

In October/November 2024 myself and wife wish to take our son, daughter in law and 9 years old grandson to Orlando whilst I am fit enough to travel

myself and wife always fly PE with Virgin
my son, daughter in law and 9 years old grandson don’t want to waste money on PE but want 5 items of luggage between them (ie 1 bag each and purchase 2 extra bags) so looks like Economy Classic for them

we want to fly to Orlando MCO return for 21 days in the period commencing Friday 12th October 2024 to Friday 15th November 2024 so have a lot of flexibility to sort out cheapest prices
We live in the Midlands so could fly from either Heathrow or Manchester

I have 137,500 Virgin air miles to put towards tickets, miles and money, upgrade with miles etc
what is the best way to use them to get 2 x PE and 3 x Economy Classic seats

when are the best times to book to get best prices ?

are there any christmas, new year sales due ?

Can forum members please advise what they think are my best/cheapest alternatives as I am sure there will be a few different suggestions.

We are very experienced Florida travellers so do not need help with hotels, cars, destinations etc
#962938 by VS075
10 Dec 2023, 18:09
Unless you book packages through Virgin Holidays and unless that has changed, seats only become available 331 days before the flight. Even then they will likely be expensive, so I suggest holding off until the seats have been on sale for a week or two before looking to book.

I'm not sure on sales I'm afraid, though I seem to think there was one recently going by the adverts that were played on the radio and some sales have been on around now in the past.
#962941 by CommanderB
10 Dec 2023, 21:44
VS075 wrote:Unless you book packages through Virgin Holidays and unless that has changed, seats only become available 331 days before the flight. Even then they will likely be expensive, so I suggest holding off until the seats have been on sale for a week or two before looking to book.

Just to elaborate on this a little..

If the prices on the VS website show say Economy (Y), Premium (W) and Upper Class (J) that means they're full fares - the most expensive VS offers. They often load these fares 331 days in advance and the lower fares are some point after that. So if you see those fare buckets offered that far in advance, don't be afraid to wait a little while as VS075 says.
#963016 by VS075
20 Dec 2023, 17:10
Just to come back to this, VS are now running a sale, so if you haven't booked already it might be worth checking the dates you've settled on to see if they're any cheaper now and if they have loaded the cheaper fare buckets.
Virgin Atlantic