This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962021 by christ0r
21 Sep 2021, 11:01
Hi,

I have had my status generously extended by VS over the last 18 months. But with the Lifetime Gold qualification requirement of:

10 Years
+
7500 Tier Points

I'm concerned as to whether the extensions count toward this "10 years" period. Specifically, it 10 calendar years (rather than having qualified for Gold "10 times")?

Apologies if this has been addressed before; I had a quick search and couldn't find anything.
#965164 by CommanderB
29 Jun 2022, 12:54
Given how murky this benefit is, I'd be surprised if half the VS staff even know how to answer the question!

You would imagine that the extension does count and the TPs from reward flights during this period would also count. But given that a lot of this was made up on the spot... who knows.
#965181 by curiousflyer
29 Jun 2022, 17:09
CommanderB wrote:Given how murky this benefit is, I'd be surprised if half the VS staff even know how to answer the question!

You would imagine that the extension does count and the TPs from reward flights during this period would also count. But given that a lot of this was made up on the spot... who knows.

Indeed, I wish it were a little more transparent (with a visible tracker) like how many of the other airlines do their lifetime programs. I've seen reports on this forum where there was no notification upon receiving lifetime gold, and the member only found out after proactively asking about it with CS.

Or maybe this was the whole point of making it unclear?
#965185 by CommanderB
29 Jun 2022, 19:17
curiousflyer wrote:
CommanderB wrote:Given how murky this benefit is, I'd be surprised if half the VS staff even know how to answer the question!

Indeed, I wish it were a little more transparent (with a visible tracker) like how many of the other airlines do their lifetime programs. I've seen reports on this forum where there was no notification upon receiving lifetime gold, and the member only found out after proactively asking about it with CS.

Or maybe this was the whole point of making it unclear?

I don't think it's deliberate. I think VS have just under-invested in its membership portal capabilities. The CS staff know more about your profile than you do yourself as they can see things on there that you cannot. Up until fairly recently, there was no way of knowing what vouchers you had on file other than calling up. Now there is a notification in the activity feed, but even that is vague and doesn't specify which voucher it refers to!
#965187 by mitchja
29 Jun 2022, 19:36
Your online profile does update as if you remember several of us (myself included) saw an account error a few months ago in the tier point section saying something along the lines of 'you don't need to earn any tier points to remain gold' which is the message GFL members see.
#965208 by CommanderB
01 Jul 2022, 12:58
mitchja wrote:Your online profile does update as if you remember several of us (myself included) saw an account error a few months ago in the tier point section saying something along the lines of 'you don't need to earn any tier points to remain gold' which is the message GFL members see.

There have been so many FC quirks over the last 18 months, that I forget what errors have happened! :-D
Virgin Atlantic