This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#965636 by flyingfox
09 Aug 2022, 12:40
Update from VS Trade ;

Extending our preferred seating to Premium customers

We want all our mutual customers to love their experience when they fly with us and recognise that many of them have their favourite place in the cabin. Therefore, we are delighted to let you know that we are extending our preferred seating to Premium customers, giving them more choice and control so they can select a location that suits their individual preference in our award-winning cabin.

From 23 August 2022 there’ll be a fee to select some seats in Premium, such as rows towards the front of the plane and these will only be able to be booked through our website. Other Premium seats will still be available to select for free at any time before departure.

Before the fee is introduced, we would like to give your customers booked in Premium the opportunity to select one of these preferred seat types for free, these can be booked in the normal way up until the new policy is in place.

The seat allocation policy for all other ticket types remains unchanged.

And our Flying Club Gold, Delta Diamond and Platinum members and our corporate customers can select a Premium Preferred seat free of charge from time of booking as they do today for Economy seats.
#965637 by VS075
09 Aug 2022, 12:48
On the face of it, this is nothing more than being straight out of the playbook of LCC's who charge a premium to pre-select a seat towards the front, and a slippery slope too. How long before it becomes standard to charge a fee to pre-select a seat wherever you're sat on the plane?
#965638 by mitchja
09 Aug 2022, 12:56
VS075 wrote:On the face of it, this is nothing more than being straight out of the playbook of LCC's who charge a premium to pre-select a seat towards the front, and a slippery slope too. How long before it becomes standard to charge a fee to pre-select a seat wherever you're sat on the plane?

…you mean like BA have been doing for several years now unless your have BAEC status or fly First.
#965639 by VS075
09 Aug 2022, 13:37
mitchja wrote:
VS075 wrote:On the face of it, this is nothing more than being straight out of the playbook of LCC's who charge a premium to pre-select a seat towards the front, and a slippery slope too. How long before it becomes standard to charge a fee to pre-select a seat wherever you're sat on the plane?

…you mean like BA have been doing for several years now unless your have BAEC status or fly First.

Yes - though in all fairness they did have Alex Cruz at the helm for a few years and some of the changes brought in to the on-board offering during his tenure didn't exactly attract universal acclaim.

I probably shouldn't be surprised though that VS have sensed an opportunity to monetise this as seating can be a big deal for quite a few people (myself included admittedly). I guess time will tell how well this goes down.
#965641 by slinky09
09 Aug 2022, 14:10
Will VS charge Golds, or people who pay W fares I wonder? Even at BA if you're silver or gold you can seat book without a fee ...
#965642 by mikethe3rd
09 Aug 2022, 14:15
slinky09 wrote:Will VS charge Golds

And our Flying Club Gold, Delta Diamond and Platinum members and our corporate customers can select a Premium Preferred seat free of charge from time of booking as they do today for Economy seats.
#965646 by ColOrd
09 Aug 2022, 20:07
mitchja wrote:I suspect VS are testing the water here before a possible full roll out of seat selection fees across all the cabins.

Cynic in me: You're absolutely right - how long till we are paying in Upper?

Optimist: I hope this is actually really a perk for some customers who pay the most but can sometimes get the worst seats in premium by putting off Norris and Jean from Potters Bar off who take up 21A&C at 330 days out on their cheap Premium fare!

(No offence to any Norris's or Jean's or anyone in the general Potters Bar area!)
#965651 by deep_south
10 Aug 2022, 08:20
I am a little confused by this as I don't think there are really any bad or "better" seats in PE. Is row 20 or 21 much different to 22 or 23?

I do think it is the first step to monetising seating, it's always a delicate balance between early bookers getting their choice maybe in a cheaper fare bucket while later bookers may be on a more expensive ticket with little choice.
#965652 by mitchja
10 Aug 2022, 08:28
All the seats in Premium are identical part from the bulkhead seats so I personally can’t see any advantage in pay for these seats?

According to HfP, VS will charge £55 for those seats after August 23rd. Any un-allocated seats in those rows will be offered at no charge at the airport (as with the bulkhead rows).
#965656 by gumshoe
10 Aug 2022, 10:56
mitchja wrote:All the seats in Premium are identical part from the bulkhead seats so I personally can’t see any advantage in pay for these seats?

I guess VS are hoping to cash in on the perception that front is better - which, to a very limited extent, it is: you should get served first and you disembark marginally quicker (except on the LGW A350s).
#965664 by VS075
11 Aug 2022, 08:56
gumshoe wrote:
mitchja wrote:All the seats in Premium are identical part from the bulkhead seats so I personally can’t see any advantage in pay for these seats?

I guess VS are hoping to cash in on the perception that front is better - which, to a very limited extent, it is: you should get served first and you disembark marginally quicker (except on the LGW A350s).

I remember after the remaining 747s were refurbished the back couple of rows (particularly 18 A/C and 19 A/C) were the best ones to go for as service was usually served there first and, as door L2 was used, one of the first off even ahead of those in Upper. Was really handy at times when you want to beat the immigration queue at MCO.

P.S. What's a LGW A350?
#965665 by mitchja
11 Aug 2022, 09:09
VS075 wrote:[

P.S. What's a LGW A350?

Old terminology from when the VS leisure fleet used to fly from LGW (& MAN)…..there are 2 A350’s is a different leisure config (generally used for the MCO routes from both LHR & MAN). Those have a small 16 seat Upper cabin with the Premium cabin behind it between doors 1 and 2.
#965683 by VS075
12 Aug 2022, 14:05
mitchja wrote:
VS075 wrote:[

P.S. What's a LGW A350?

Old terminology from when the VS leisure fleet used to fly from LGW (& MAN)…..there are 2 A350’s is a different leisure config (generally used for the MCO routes from both LHR & MAN). Those have a small 16 seat Upper cabin with the Premium cabin behind it between doors 1 and 2.

I know, I was nit-picking. ;-)

I think "higher density A350s" is probably a more appropriate phase given LGW is off the network and the lines of where they're used becoming blurred.
Virgin Atlantic