This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#965718 by Razorback
17 Aug 2022, 11:50
When we travel to the US typically we fly Virgin Atlantic to Atlanta and will then connect onto a domestic Delta flight.

The boarding cards will be printed either ourselves or at the VA airport desk.
On our last few trips (including 2 earlier this year) there is always a problem with boarding the onward flight whereby the boarding card will be rejected (red light) when it is scanned at the departure gate. Scanning the boarding pass on the app is also rejected.

On trips prior to Covid this issue could eventually be resolved by the gate personnel, but now it seems to require the intervention of a supervisor in a “red jacket”. This usually means that we are last to board the plane instead of vice versa.

On the last occasion something was mentioned as the problem being due to the fact that it was an “e-ticket”? Our tickets are always purchased direct from virginatlantic.com.

The return journey with both the boarding cards issued by Delta never seems to have an issue.

It haas occurred to me that this cannot be just happening to us but must affect other people transferring to Delta from a Virgin flight.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? is there anyway to I mitigate the issue please?
#965720 by mitchja
17 Aug 2022, 12:58
Yep, it’s a known issue, VS issued DL paper boarding passes never scan or work with the DL system. It’s something to do with the bar code apparently, at least that’s what I got told.

You always have to re-print when you arrive at the next airport. Just head to one of the self service machines or re-print stations which are often located near the departure gates. Failing that see an agent at one of the DL help/info desks located in most airports before boarding the flight.
#965725 by Kraken
17 Aug 2022, 16:10
This is a bizarre IT issue - given that the VS booking system is hosted on the Delta IT platform & is pretty much a "re-skin" of the Delta system, with a few changes.
Then again, working in IT I have come across many such quirks - stuff that should work like clockwork can can sometimes be hard work to make it work.

Never had any problems with BA / AA boarding cards where one carrier issues the onward connecting boarding card on behalf of the other.
#965733 by CommanderB
18 Aug 2022, 11:19
Kraken wrote:This is a bizarre IT issue - given that the VS booking system is hosted on the Delta IT platform & is pretty much a "re-skin" of the Delta system, with a few changes.
Then again, working in IT I have come across many such quirks - stuff that should work like clockwork can can sometimes be hard work to make it work.

Never had any problems with BA / AA boarding cards where one carrier issues the onward connecting boarding card on behalf of the other.

Man, airline IT is the definition of shaky! :-D
Virgin Atlantic