This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#966059 by mikethe3rd
23 Sep 2022, 18:41
From April 10th, Delta will operate a seasonal JFK-LGW using the 767-300.

More excitingly, from March 25th they’ll begin LAX-LHR using their A330-900neo.

There’s a few other new routes to Europe too. https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-new ... mmer-2023/
#966062 by ScoobySu
23 Sep 2022, 21:04
mikethe3rd wrote:More excitingly, from March 25th they’ll begin LAX-LHR using their A330-900neo.

Hmmm .... With VS currently planning to operate 3 flights daily in Summer 2023 - wonder if one of these will be replaced with an alternative route (nested interest as we're booked on VS141 next May ;-))
#966071 by mitchja
25 Sep 2022, 12:02
I guess DL & VS have done some route swapping again as weren't VS about to launch that route before COVID struck; though I still don't get why US pax would choose to fly to LGW instead of LHR?
#966072 by CommanderB
25 Sep 2022, 12:07
mitchja wrote:I guess DL & VS have done some route swapping again as weren't VS about to launch that route before COVID struck; though I still don't get why US pax would choose to fly to LGW instead of LHR?

Same reason some UK passengers will accept EWR? Close ish to NYC and if it's cheaper, they'll take it.
#966074 by tontybear
25 Sep 2022, 18:45
mitchja wrote: though I still don't get why US pax would choose to fly to LGW instead of LHR?

Could be all sorts of reasons. Schedule and price for starters.

And LGW could be a much easier arrival / departure point for a lot pf passengers depending on where they are eventually going to.

TBH if BA/AA and DL/VS ran more US services from LGW I'd use them as much easier for me (and a few million others) to get to LGW than LHR

Just lookd at the currently loaded fares and definltly worth leaving it a few days to see if lower buckets get loaded - £ 2.8k for my June dates.

LGW schedule is OK depart 14.00 and arrive 16.55 out and return is 23.30 ex JFK arriving noon the following day.
#966077 by VS075
26 Sep 2022, 08:52
I've also noted DL launching EDI-ATL.

mitchja wrote:I guess DL & VS have done some route swapping again as weren't VS about to launch that route before COVID struck; though I still don't get why US pax would choose to fly to LGW instead of LHR?

Yes, VS were to launch (or re-launch I guess) LGW-JFK in 2020, but that was before COVID and VS' subsequent LGW pullout.

I wonder if LGW was a combination of data and having a presence at both LGW and LHR on some routes in the same what that BA do these days with JFK, BGI and MCO. I guess there's also more slot availability at LGW these days given the scaling back or total pullout of some airlines from LGW.

Another factor is Norse Atlantic. They are a long-haul LCC that have now launched and are effectively mimicking what Norwegian did before its financial woes and COVID forced them to abandon long-haul flying altogether. The former CEO of Norwegian is/was involved with this in some capacity I believe, and their fleet consists of mostly ex-Norwegian 787s.
Virgin Atlantic