This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#10 by gramgill
12 Nov 2003, 10:13
Hi all I,m new here and new to long haul flights. I have flown many times but normally a package holiday with a direct flight, However in January we are going on a cruise (Caribbean) and left all the arrangements and the flights (Aberdeen - Miami) to Royal Caribbean. The day we fly is a public holiday in Scotland and the morning flights to Heathrow are cancelled. We have just received our flight details and are a bit worried about the lack of time between connections the flights are -
British Midland 7am Aberdeen to Manchester arrive 8.15
British Midland 8.55 Manchester to Heathrow arrive 10am
Virgin 11.30am Heathrow to Miami arrive 16.30 local time
When you look at above we have only 40 mins in Manchester and 90 minutes in Heathrow (I believe this is a huge airport) are these enough times to land, collect luggage and check in and also if we are rushing at the last minute are we going to get seats together Can we book our seats and check in Aberdeen before our first flight but I am keen to collect our own luggage so as it has less chance to get lost can anybody reassure us
#25013 by Pete
12 Nov 2003, 11:16
Welcome gramgill!

Looking at your plan, you're right in thinking those are tight connections - and any slipage in the arrival/departure in your two BMI flights will make the situation worse. However, since you specifically mentioned that the early flight had been cancelled, it sounds like you're on these flights because there isn't a better connection. (One alternative - do the domestic legs the night before and stay at a Heathrow hotel?).

Since Virgin & BMI are partners, you shouldn't have too much of a problem booking all the way through (luggage and yourself included), although I'd still prefer more time for those connections.

Pix
#25014 by The_Banking_Scot
12 Nov 2003, 19:55
Hi,

Agree with the posters above ,the timings are a little tight but if everything runs smoothly you shouls be ok).

Ove at LHR follow signs for the flight connections centre ( no need to reclear security) and get the bus to T3 ( hopefully bmi will have issued your VS flight boarding pass in ABZ) otherwsie go to the VS transfer desk)I have gone from the gateat T1 domestic to T3 in less than 20mins including bus transfer)

Have a good flight

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25016 by gramgill
13 Nov 2003, 12:04
thank you all for your replys yes i thought they were tight all made worse by the fact we have never been to either Manchester or Heathrow so dont know the layouts. We are travelling on the 2nd Jan so the night before is not an option and anyway Royal Carribean has organised all the flights. I was interested to read about letting Virgin know i am arriving on a BMI flight so as they may assist, this may have been done by Royal Carribean but how do i check and how do i raise my concerns with both airlines or pre book seats. and finnally with the connections tight is there more chance of the luggage going missing