This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#248 by LAX21
11 Feb 2004, 02:46
Hi everybody,

it's my first time here, actually i've been watching all the posts for two weeks now, since i first discovered this wonderful forum :)

I will be making a flight in May from LAX to LHR and rt. inbound VS 8 and outbound VS 23, on PE upper deck, and really looking forward to it! I hope i can get emergency exit-row seats at the airport, tho, being 6'4" and all... :)

I am a little concerned, I know usually you're not supposed to do this for your own good, but I had to buy two separate tickets for two separate airlines, because of the price difference compared to regular ticketing, and also since it was the only way I could fly and enjoy VS. I bought the VS ticket LAX-LHR, and then I bough a separate ticket for RO LHR-OTP. The thing is, VS 8 is scheduled to arrive LHR at 11:45am, and my connecting flight to OTP is scheduled to depart LHR at 12:30pm. Given the fact that you all here are more experienced with flying different airlines and making connections (especially thru LHR, security, etc.), what do you think my chances are to actually make it in time to the other terminal and for my other flight, and what suggestions you might have for me?

Thanks,
Chris
#25682 by Pete
11 Feb 2004, 05:04
*Ouch* 45 mins to clear the aircraft, security, baggage & check in for a flight to Romania? I would suggest that's never going to work. The connecting flight will probably be closing just as you hit the tarmac on VS08.

That said, the eastbound flights into LHR are generally early, but I wouldn't count on it. Is there no later flight you could catch?

Pix
#25683 by LAX21
11 Feb 2004, 07:22
Nope unfortunately ... the only flights to OTP are ...erm..a..um..um.. BA flight in the morning and the RO; If push comes to shove and I actually miss the flight, I would probably have to spend the night at LHR and really beg the RO people to allow me on the next day flight (slim chance...) or perhaps try and use some of my AA miles for a FRA or CDG routing to OTP, but I just have a bit of hope that everything will work out in the end.
As for the baggages, I've already called VS and told me it's possible to actually check in my baggage from LAX all the way to OTP. (I've done it before, with AA, thru LHR.)
As far as security, I know LHR security is very tight and lengthy, but if I show them my boarding pass with the short connect won't I be able to cut in line? I've done it before at ZRH...

Keeping my hopes up,
Chris
#25684 by Pete
11 Feb 2004, 08:11
Well, it's still going to be tight, but you can probably maximise your chances by letting the FA on your Virgin flight know you have an impossible connection and if they wouldn't mind letting you off with the UC passengers, thanks very much, etc. Then run like billy-o to the transfer desk and see if you can make that flight.

Whether your luggage will have quite the same speed is another story :)

Pix
#25685 by LAX21
11 Feb 2004, 08:19
Well, I'll try my *ahem* charming looks and puppy eyes on the FA :D

Thanks for your help pix ;)
#25686 by Bazz
11 Feb 2004, 10:01
Welcome Lax21 and good luck!

Just a thought team, if Lax21 describes his problem to the VS8 check-in staff what are the chances they would priority tag his bags for LHR?

As Pix says, the VS8 flight, as with all east-bound is often early however if the can't land or if after they land they have to wait to get onto the gate, you can easily loose the time you saved, you really have set yourself a difficult one.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25689 by Vslf
11 Feb 2004, 11:42
Certainly worth mentioning at check-in to get your luggage priority tagged I've been on a VS flight where people with tight connections were moved into UC as we started descent to get them off quickly.

Having said that I'd expect to spend a night at LHR, 45 minutes really isn't going to cut it. Even if flight time is quick you'll likely spend some time circling the south of England and land near your arrival time.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but I can't think of a way round this one.

VSlf
#25700 by The_Banking_Scot
11 Feb 2004, 20:51
Hi,

With the RO flights leaving from Terminal 2 and the VS arriving at T3 there is a choice of either going with the flight connections ( but this involves a bus transfer which I have heard can involve waiting for a few minutes although my waits have not been too bad) to the flight connections then clearing security then to the transfer desk or to head straight to the arrivals, clear immigration, walk straight through customs then head over T2.

I have often bought separate tickets to EDI from LHR as it is cheaper but I have alwyas allowed two hours.

I think your only hope is that the VS flight arrives ealry and you can leave the aircraft fairly quickly ( a seat towards the front of the aircraft would help) and then run.

I think that the odds are unfortunately better than even that you will miss the RO flight.

Good luck.

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25717 by LAX21
12 Feb 2004, 03:40
thaks for the advices everyone

TBS hmm good point there with the other option, it never occured to me that it could be a bit faster going thru customs and then head to T2 i think i'll give that one a try.
Tricky LHR ... standard mct is 30min, i tought i was getting a nice deal on that 45 min of my connect time.. oh well,
i have to keep my finger crossed and hope for the best.
(maybe Sir Richard is reading this post and would be kind enough to charter something for me from LHR-OTP hehe :D)

I'll keep ya posted on this when i get back in May to tell ya how it worked out.

Thanks again,

Chris
#25733 by The_Banking_Scot
12 Feb 2004, 20:22
Hi LAX21,

I'm fairly sure that the minimum connection time (MCT) for international to international flights is more like 1hr and 30mins ( ie 90 mins) especially if on two separate airlines.

I think the lowest time is 45mins and that is from BA to BA (Terminal 1) if connecting from T1 to T4 (on BA) then it increases to 75 mins.

Nethertheless, good luck.

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25739 by declansmith
12 Feb 2004, 23:07
I dont think you have a chance at all in getting your flight.

MCT at LHR is 90 mins. MOst airlines close there check in 30-40 mins before departure that means as you get off the VS plane the other airline will just be closing.

The morning is busy at LHR so even if you land at 1130 its stil too tight to clear security, get the bus to Flight connection centre then check in and get to the gate.

Even if you walk or run to T2 you have to get throught T3 immigration which can be busy then wait for your bag and run the long distance.

I would say book a hotel in LOndon now for your arrival
#25744 by Nick
13 Feb 2004, 00:50
Hi there,

(sorry mostly been lurking recently) but I just thought to remind you (although I am sure you have thought of this already) that even if you are "Carl Lewis" and can get through heathrow to make the connection, I doubt that your baggage will be handled in the same way so would be much more likely to miss the connection.

Things to do:
Pack overnight gear and a change of clothes in your carry-on!
Put big notices on the bag about the short connection to try to hurry up baggage handlers.
Pray that the baggage handlers are not having a bad day!

Best of Luck
#25746 by LAX21
13 Feb 2004, 08:43
heya,

yup, i will pack some over night stuff in my carryon.. although i still hope for some miracle of getting in time to T3 :)
as far as the checked baggage, i will kindly ask the nice Virgin Staff at LAX to put those short connection tags.

I always hope baggage handlers have a good mood when i'm traveling, bu i really dont care if the baggage will make it at the final dest. at the same time i will or not, i can live one or two days w/o them :)

so i guess my other question is if by some miracle VS08 does land earlier and i have a slim chance, is it possible to cut in front of the lines at all the security checkpoints provided that i show them my departure time? I was forced to do that on multiple occasions at ZRH and it worked fine, but perhaps LHR is different..?

Aaa one more thing, on VS08 i have selected seat 71H and on the return one, VS23 seat 19A. Are these good choices? In case i dont get the exit row, should i stick with these or choose something else?

Thanks again for all your help here :)
Chris
#25748 by Pete
13 Feb 2004, 09:19
Cutting in front of the immigration line at T3 on a busy morning could get ugly. I would recommend having a quiet word with the IFS on your flight, explain the situation and show her your onward ticket if necessary and grovel for a FastTrack pass. That will cut down your immigration time considerable, but you'll still need to run like a greyhound.

Pix
#25752 by Bazz
13 Feb 2004, 10:24
The seats you have selected are fine. 70 and 18 are obviously better so check in early (I hope your connection for the return lights is more generous?) and see if your lucky.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25765 by LAX21
13 Feb 2004, 18:47
pix,

thanks for the tip, will certainly have a talk with the IFS.

Bazz,

yup, i got a 3 hour connection, so no worries here :)

Chris

P.S.: I wish they had a Freddy Award just for this site. you guys RULE! :)
Virgin Atlantic