This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#259502 by aft1981
08 Jun 2009, 22:44
So we have a few hundred thousand AMEX points on our company credit card account, which we share between us when someone wants. A colleague wants to fly from Philadelphia to Montego Bay, Jamaica in October, and use some of those points up. To use them via the AMEX site for 2 tickets would be 91,000 points or $912 or a combination of the two on Air Jamaica. Now Air Jamaica is a partner airline of VS, and to spend FF miles on redemption flights is 30,000 miles per ticket for flights between the US & Jamaica, so that would be 60,000 miles total.

AMEX is doing a bonus 15% on points transferred to VS FF Miles right now so those 91,000 points (cost if booked via AMEX) would actually generate 104,650 FF miles. That's an almost 45,000 mile difference. However, my 2 colleagues do not have VS FF accounts, and don't travel VS. A few questions...

1. Can I book the flight in their name from my account using my miles or would I have to set an account up for them and transfer the miles from AMEX into their FF account first?
2. Do you book the flight with VS or with Air Jamaica and provide your FF account number?
3. With partner airline rewards, are you still liable to pay the taxes and other random fees, as you are if booking a VS flight with miles. By booking through AMEX, the 91,000 miles covers everything, and the website seems to imply they actually credit your credit card account with $912 (cost of flight if you were to buy it) which I'm not sure is correct or not, I will have to call and verify.

Thankssss

Andrew