This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#949576 by VS075
29 Mar 2019, 08:36
Restus wrote:Flybe have just announced IOM-LHR route starting in April. I've always been quite dedicated to MAN, but until the new Clubhouse opens... looks like it's LHR for me! :D
It's good to see Connect making moves already.

Wow - about time someone restarted a LHR route from IOM and good to see Flybe slowly building a domestic portfolio out of LHR.

It depends on your circumstances, but I wouldn't fully ditch MAN for LHR just yet. I see the timings for the IOM-LHR flights means it only works if you're connecting onto an evening flight out of LHR and if you arrive back into LHR in the morning there's a lot of hanging round for a few hours, though it's feasible if you stay overnight anyway before flying the next day.
#949577 by Dobbo
29 Mar 2019, 09:22
jakedonson wrote:I suppose having MAN to LHR flights would also contradict any reasons for expanding Manchester and making it a hub. However, could we seem them doing other domestic flights to Heathrow already serviced by BA such as Newcastle or Leeds?

I think any VS / Connect Airways service to LHR from places like LPL or LBA would be competing with direct VS services at MAN and also with VS’s partner services to AMS. For these reasons they are unlikely.

I don’t think we’ll see an avalanche of domestic Connect Airways routes to LHR, because they are generally proven to be not commercially viable and I’ve seen elsewhere that this is receiving an £800k subsidy from the IoM government for 6 months - and this is for a single daily rotation.
#949658 by Hurricane86
02 Apr 2019, 09:44
Personally I would love to see MAN-LGW from Connect. I suppose there’s the possibility this might work on a smaller type than the 737/A319 BA used on the route, and it could feed between two VS hubs quite effectively. I’ll keep dreaming.

The new pier opened yesterday at MAN. I saw some pictures of a trial run of ground ops using a VS 747, but does anyone know if VS are going to be using the new pier on a regular basis or are they generally sticking with the front facing T2 gates for now?

Hopefully the next bit of news will be construction ramping up on the next pier, hopefully to include the much awaited and highly anticipated MAN Clubhouse! Come on Virgin, you can announce it any time you like!!!
#949659 by mitchja
02 Apr 2019, 10:03
TUI where the first airline to start using the new pier, however, as service ramps up over the next few days, all airlines that use T2 will be using the new pier for both arrivals and departures.

The existing T2 gates still cannot fit 2 wide body A/C next to each other.

The next phase of the MAN development isn't due to open now until Summer 2020.

Brussels Airlines and Eurowings also move into T2 from T1 at the end of April.
#949662 by mitchja
02 Apr 2019, 10:44
flyingfox wrote:Would the new VIP terminal appeal to VS for AU's and Upper passengers as an alternative to having a MAN clubhouse? I note also it's open to all for a fee;

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/premiair/

Nice idea, but I couldn't see that working very well when the A/C would have to be parked at the main terminal and then having J pax transferred from a completely separate terminal wouldn't be very practical.
#950463 by mitchja
16 May 2019, 14:53
The VS Twilight check-in trial at MAN seems to have been successful as it's now been made permanent.

You can now twilight check-in between 16:00 - 20:00 the previous day now for all MAN departures.
#950466 by cheesebag
16 May 2019, 16:26
I used the new pier a few weeks ago when our grounded TUI 7M8 was upgraded to a 789.... one hell of a walk and the paint still smells fresh, still a lot of work to be done but will be amazing when finished
#950473 by Dobbo
17 May 2019, 10:35
The continuation of twilight checkin is another step along the road towards what I suspect is Virgin Atlantic’s endgame at MAN.

The purchase of FlyBe, and now possibly Thomas Cook’s long haul operation, gives an almost overnight economy of scale from the aircraft / route / staffing perspective - and we wait to see what comes of this.

The list of items to address remains a reasonably long one, including the clubhouse, US-Preclearance, and searching for a replacement partner in India irrespective of whether VS intends to fly east from MAN or not (Vistara feel like a good fit).
#951048 by Dobbo
22 Jun 2019, 11:02
An interesting article from the American side on this topic. I think the headline and quotes are a little misleading (reference to the 2019 programme being “planned” implies it is something for the future when it is actually being implemented now) but the direction of travel is generally positive.

In particular, the comments about potentially increasing frequency and going year round are positive sounds.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlin ... -plan.html
#951086 by Hurricane86
25 Jun 2019, 13:09
21E486E3-5888-4F93-97A1-283BE7D96E37.jpeg
21E486E3-5888-4F93-97A1-283BE7D96E37.jpeg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 9490 times

Tweeted by Manchester Airport earlier. Could this be the long anticipated (by me) VS MAN Clubhouse? Or maybe US Preclearance?
#951088 by Hurricane86
25 Jun 2019, 14:12
gumshoe wrote:Hopefully! But equally could be just a new route or airline.

Maybe, but because it specifically mentioned MANTP (ie the terminal) it caught my attention! Guess we’ll see tomorrow...
#951090 by tontybear
25 Jun 2019, 15:38
Not seeing any chatter about MAN having pre-clearance but IMHO I really don't see the current administration allowing it even if MAN agrees to pay for not only the infrastructure but also the CBP officers needed to staff it.

How many TATLs are there from MAN?
#951093 by matt.hibb
25 Jun 2019, 17:09
This is mostly a guess, but I think TATLs from MAN in the summer of are:
ATL - daily VS
BOS - 3 weekly VS
EWR - daily UA
IAH - 5 weekly SIA
JFK - daily VS & daily TCX
MCO - 9 weekly VS & 9 weekly TCX
PHL - daily AA
LAS - 4 weekly VS & 5 weekly TCX
LAX - 3 weekly VS & 2 weekly TCX
SEA - 2 weekly TCX
SFO - 3 weekyl TCX
Last edited by matt.hibb on 25 Jun 2019, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
#951095 by tontybear
25 Jun 2019, 18:00
SNN has had it for a long time though. They also cut down the hours a few years ago so it's now just the morning and early afternoon (basically the length of one work shift)

Abu Dhabi has less flights to the US than SNN and there is a US law that prevents US government funding any of the cost of pre clearance there and I would imagine that would be the case with any new airport wanting to have it (even if it benefits the US by stopping people they don't want admitted before they get to US soil)

That's a fairly long list matt but wouldn't it mean some terminal relocations to enable them to use the pre-clearance area and there are issues of varying degrees of importance such as lounge access to factor in. And I read regular complaints about the lack of facilities of any real nature in the pre clearance area at DUB and those at SNN are meagre as well so much so that they restrict access until quite close to flight departure.
#951096 by matt.hibb
25 Jun 2019, 20:32
Yes definitely a terminal move for TCX and AA at least. Maybe UA too, I'm not sure?

That list is probably down 30-40% in the winter. Plus, I guess nobody knows what is to happen to the TCX long haul operation long term either.

I can't imagine it's preclearance personally. Like mentioned already, I would think the US would make MAN pay for it in its entirety. I recently flew out of the new section of T2 and it's a bit of a rushed job with many expenses spared I suspect. The new gates still have steps down to the jetway from the gate! How can they make that mistake again!? The decor isn't exactly plush like you'd find in brand new terminal in other parts of the world. Now granted it's just a satellite part of the new terminal, but it just says to me that MAN would never pay for US preclearance.
#951118 by tontybear
26 Jun 2019, 20:10
so it's 15 new restaurants / bars in the new terminal

As Miranda Priestly said 'groundbreaking'
#951121 by Dobbo
26 Jun 2019, 20:31
Some decent places there for a pleasant brunch/dinner - would need to be managed correctly to prevent the “mob” from taking over!

I think everyone is anticipating a clubhouse. At this stage the most interesting factor will be how ambitious it is (size, amenities etc) as it may give further clues as to the future growth trajectory.
#951176 by Dobbo
29 Jun 2019, 16:45
Same article as on the MAN-LAX daily thread, but this highlights the broader comments from Sir Richard Branson about Virgin Atlantic’s plans at MAN, as well as the allusion to MAN-LAX moving to a daily service.

Link and article extracts below:

Sir Richard says, “There is great potential for LA-Manchester. In general, Los Angeles is very important to us.” He noted that Virgin Atlantic has been flying to LA for 30 years and is currently doing 30 flights a week.

Why Manchester for Virgin Atlantic expansion? Sir Richard pointed out, 1/3 of people in England live with two hours. The city, according to Branson, is a hotbed of British entrepreneurship and “the gateway to the North,” with lots of new business.

A spokesperson added that the city is a vibrant cultural center with a lot of affinity with Los Angeles, “growing in food and artistry,” a generous sample of which was on display at the LA event.

Nonetheless, Branson added, “Manchester was a pretty unexciting city if you go back 20 or 30 years. We helped put them on the map.”
The market is reacting very positively to the new route with actual sales, he says.

“Bookings are very strong,” while the move to daily service will make it easy for customers to become aware of it.

Another factor making Manchester an important destination for Virgin Atlantic was the group’s takeover of British regional low-cost carrier Flybe Group.  Flybe has a significant short-haul business around the United Kingdom. Just as important, it can potentially feed more passengers onto Virgin Atlantic long-haul flights.

Branson maintains Flybe will be renamed “Virgin something.” The Virgin Group is part of The Connect Airways consortium which also includes a hedge fund and Southend Airport. The group bought the regional airline for just £2.8 million in February.

“The ambition is to build a short-haul feeder airline that can connect with Virgin Atlantic,” noted Branson, clearly still fascinated by the airline business. The former Flybe “has good landing slots in Manchester and elsewhere. It has 76 planes, including DeHavilland and Embraer aircraft.”

Branson says, “We’ll fly from regional airports,” with Manchester perhaps providing an alternate to London airports approaching capacity. There are hints that the strategy might include the acquisition of other struggling British airlines.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forb ... rvice/amp/
#951633 by Dobbo
05 Aug 2019, 17:35
According to @airportnewsMAN on twitter there is now an internet placeholder for the Clubhouse at Manchester.

It still links into the escape lounge, but this seems to me like a web that is getting ready to “go live”...

Hopefully confirmation of this, plus more of the future plans for S20 and beyond, this month.
#951636 by Dobbo
05 Aug 2019, 19:55
MAN-ATL back to daily A333 from next summer, changed from daily B744 this summer.

An overall capacity drop (the loads on MAN-ATL look remarkably high at present) but an increase in premium seating.

This is further evidence in support of the B744s being phased out fairly quickly.

I anticipate more changes to the programme at MAN in the coming weeks.
Virgin Atlantic