This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#954502 by VS075
27 Feb 2020, 14:02
David1946 wrote:Seems they have decided to concentrate on the leisure market and forget the northern business people unless DL provide extra flights.

Like I said the other day, even the late-afternoon departures to JFK and ATL aren't exactly leisure-friendly. In the case of JFK it's more or less bedtime by the time you get there (other options exist to give you the evening and some of the afternoon there), whereas ATL you're missing a lot of connections to places such as Florida.
#954506 by gumshoe
27 Feb 2020, 14:25
I wonder if it’s not VS that’s calling the shots here.

These times seem more useful for Americans visiting Manchester, which of course is DL’s primary concern, rather than Brits heading stateside.
#954509 by Dobbo
27 Feb 2020, 15:32
gumshoe wrote:I wonder if it’s not VS that’s calling the shots here.

These times seem more useful for Americans visiting Manchester, which of course is DL’s primary concern, rather than Brits heading stateside.

If that is right it feels like a disconnect with the Manchester market which is, I am pretty certain, predominantly outbound...
#954512 by mitchja
27 Feb 2020, 18:29
Dobbo wrote:
gumshoe wrote:I wonder if it’s not VS that’s calling the shots here.

If that is right it feels like a disconnect with the Manchester market which is, I am pretty certain, predominantly outbound...

I agree.

Also why launch the new LGW routes then?

No offence to anyone living in the surrounding LGW area but what possible reason would any American tourist or business traveller choose flying to LGW over LHR?

I personally cannot see that route lasting very long.
#954521 by Dobbo
27 Feb 2020, 23:49
Personally I don’t see what difference LHR or LGW makes to the London market - in the same way that JFK and EWR are both perfectly acceptable ways of arriving in New York.

The late strategy on its own seems senseless, so I’d hope to see something else to address the deficiencies.

VS has a good opportunity to collar the market at MAN as LHR looks to be constrained for the foreseeable. I don’t think the opportunity should slip.
#954523 by David1946
28 Feb 2020, 02:38
Just done a dummy booking for next winter for our annual flight to Fort Myers via ATL. This year landed RSW at approx 6.45 pm arrived hotel in Naples 8.15pm. Next year only last connection out of ATL after VS109 lands arrives in RSW at 11.57pm so hotel arrival would around 1.30am. I think not
#954525 by Janeclar
28 Feb 2020, 03:47
David1946 wrote:Just done a dummy booking for next winter for our annual flight to Fort Myers via ATL. This year landed RSW at approx 6.45 pm arrived hotel in Naples 8.15pm. Next year only last connection out of ATL after VS109 lands arrives in RSW at 11.57pm so hotel arrival would around 1.30am. I think not

I have just had to change my November booking to this late arrival. The only positive is that VS were also prepared to change the flight from RSW on the way home, so that I do not leave until 17.16.
Once again, early bookers have been messed about by schedule changes.
#955845 by Dobbo
12 May 2020, 13:48
Summer 2021 is on sale.

Highlights for MAN are:

1 - No Delhi (the launch for which seems to have been postponed) or Las Vegas. Delhi is no surprise, Las Vegas is a surprise as it was supposed to be 6x weekly.

2 - Los Angeles remains. No indication on frequency.

3 - New York, Atlanta, Orlando, Barbados also remain.

4 - no new routes and no indication on whether Delta will serve Boston (no surprise).

Caveat to all of this is survival.

Second caveat is the position of the fleet. We know that at some stage in 2022 (IIRC it is after S22 but I’m not certain) all 4 of the A332s are retired. It is at around that time that the A333s start coming off lease. Therefore do the A35K (8 left for delivery) and A339neo (14 firm orders if you include the 6 leased ones - no idea if they can get out of that contract) deliveries replace these as they retire, or at a slower of faster rate?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... mmer-2021/
#955846 by FLYERZ
12 May 2020, 14:13
Wonder whether Vegas going is just down to fleet restraints i.e. some of the A350 deliveries being delayed/deferred and something having to budge. I think any new route launches in the next 12-18months being put off is sensible. Starting new routes is difficult even under the best of conditions let alone mid/immediately post-Covid or during a downturn. Any sight of how existing LHR routes fair? e.g. double daily reduced or routes ending? I presume as this is Summer 2021 they expect some sort of normalcy to return. The bigger unkown being between now and next Easter where I suspect some routes will have reduced frequency.
#955847 by Tigerlilly
12 May 2020, 14:32
Sorry for if this sounds thick but I’m new here. Does VS stand for Virgin Atlantic?
I came across the page via google and saw another user post Vegas from Manchester has dropped off. I’ve booked for next August no probs.
#955850 by mitchja
12 May 2020, 16:30
Tigerlilly wrote:Sorry for if this sounds thick but I’m new here. Does VS stand for Virgin Atlantic?
I came across the page via google and saw another user post Vegas from Manchester has dropped off. I’ve booked for next August no probs.

Welcome to V-Flyer :)

Yes, VS is the flight code used by Virgin Atlantic and hence their nick name often used online.

Often people call them ‘VA’ though which can cause confusion as VA is actually the flight code for Virgin Australia.

I am not yet aware of VS pulling any routes from MAN so far. There has been no official announcement other than the one about VS closing down their LGW operations along with a couple of routes being pulled from LHR (EWR & GRU).
#955851 by Tigerlilly
12 May 2020, 16:39
mitchja wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:Sorry for if this sounds thick but I’m new here. Does VS stand for Virgin Atlantic?

Welcome to V-Flyer :)

Yes, VS is the flight code used by Virgin Atlantic and hence their nick name often used online.

Often people call them ‘VA’ though which can cause confusion as VA is actually the flight code for Virgin Australia.

I am not yet aware of VS pulling any routes from MAN so far. There has been no official announcement other than the one about VS closing down their LGW operations.

Thank you got the welcome ☺️. I did worry when I read that as I booked last week for next summer To Vegas and today upgraded to upper class ( my first time). Thought I deserved it after losing this years Florida trip twice already. Keeping fingers crossed for October instead.
Xxx
#955854 by Tigerlilly
12 May 2020, 18:31
Dobbo wrote:Here is the press release.

No mention of Delhi or Las Vegas from Manchester - by my reading that means the routes are not being flown. I suppose it is possible but unlikely for Vegas to be added later (it is a fairly established route) but for now I think we can expect it to not operate at MAN in S21.

https://corporate.virginatlantic.com/gb ... edule.html

Omg, I’m absolutely gutted. TC did that route several times a week as do virgin currently. Why would they drop it? It’s a popular route . I only booked last week and just today upgraded to upper class. I can’t even call them to ask what they will do about it as they won’t accept calls .
#955856 by mitchja
12 May 2020, 18:45
Yes, sorry this press releases has just come out today which is not good news for the LAS route unfortunately.

VS will likely switch you to fly from LHR now or fly you via LAX from MAN with an onward connection.
#955857 by Tigerlilly
12 May 2020, 18:54
mitchja wrote:Yes, sorry this press releases has just come out today which is not good news for the LAS route unfortunately.

VS will likely switch you to fly from LHR now or fly you via LAX from MAN with an onward connection.

My stress levels are through the roof. If they arrange connecting flights or alternate airport will they try to charge me more do you think if it’s more expensive?
#955858 by gumshoe
12 May 2020, 19:03
No, if they cancel your flight they must reroute you at no extra cost (if you wish).

If you’re not happy with the new flight(s), don’t accept it and suggest an alternative or ask for a refund.
#955859 by gumshoe
12 May 2020, 19:10

No mention of Delhi or Las Vegas from Manchester - by my reading that means the routes are not being flown. I suppose it is possible but unlikely for Vegas to be added later (it is a fairly established route) but for now I think we can expect it to not operate at MAN in S21.

Given that the Vegas economy is almost entirely dependent on tourism and conventions, the industries that have been hit hardest and are likely to be among the last to recover, VS has presumably decided there won’t be enough demand to warrant 2 daily UK-LAS flights.
#955860 by Tigerlilly
12 May 2020, 19:25
gumshoe wrote:No, if they cancel your flight they must reroute you at no extra cost (if you wish).

If you’re not happy with the new flight(s), don’t accept it and suggest an alternative or ask for a refund.

Thank you. I so hope this is the case. I don’t mind either a connection or airport change ( prefer a connection as 35 mins from Manchester) as it’s such a special trip I’ve booked. I was worrying they would try to jack up the prices as I got such a good price for upper class with the package and it seems a lot more expensive from lhr.
#955861 by Dobbo
12 May 2020, 20:37
gumshoe wrote:

Given that the Vegas economy is almost entirely dependent on tourism and conventions, the industries that have been hit hardest and are likely to be among the last to recover, VS has presumably decided there won’t be enough demand to warrant 2 daily UK-LAS flights.

That may well be the case, you might expect the demographic who flock to Vegas might be the worst hit financially but my understanding of the consensus was that business travel was likely to take the most time to rebound. All crystal ball gazing.

I’d expect LAX to get the chop before LAS at MAN but who am I to make that call.

From the perspective of VS in the north, Providing it survives, it should be well placed to grow at MAN once things return to normal (either by vaccine or herd immunity) - perhaps then DEL/BOM can be launched, LAS/SFO resumed and we go from there.

Certainly a modern fleet of A35K and A339neo would be an attractive proposition to most travellers.
#955862 by RyanJW
13 May 2020, 05:39
Dobbo wrote:
gumshoe wrote:
Dobbo wrote:I’d expect LAX to get the chop before LAS at MAN but who am I to make that call.

LAX is Delta's massive West Coast hub (along with SEA), so I would easily imagine there is lots of 1 stop code-share opportunity for VS, especially with effective hourly shuttles to SFO and SJC. Plus LAS is easy 1 hour hop from LAX.
#955864 by VS075
13 May 2020, 09:00
gumshoe wrote:

Short-term it would leave MAN with no flights to LAS as Thomas Cook also used to operate this route. I'm guessing with the fleet cuts VS decided this route isn't worth holding on to compared to other routes once everything is taken into account. Maybe it will return once the situation improves in the future and more aircraft become available.
#955865 by Dobbo
13 May 2020, 09:31
RyanJW wrote:LAX is Delta's massive West Coast hub (along with SEA), so I would easily imagine there is lots of 1 stop code-share opportunity for VS, especially with effective hourly shuttles to SFO and SJC. Plus LAS is easy 1 hour hop from LAX.

I strongly suspect that reflects VS’s rationale.

Likely better for the north of England to have a direct and regular link to a west coast hub than to a tourism hotspot (admittedly a popular one).
#955866 by Dobbo
13 May 2020, 09:36
VS075 wrote:Short-term it would leave MAN with no flights to LAS as Thomas Cook also used to operate this route. I'm guessing with the fleet cuts VS decided this route isn't worth holding on to compared to other routes once everything is taken into account. Maybe it will return once the situation improves in the future and more aircraft become available.

Indeed - I have wondered if Thomas Cook was still around whether VS would still have essentially chosen to preserve Manchester over Gatwick.

Disappointing there is currently no plan
For Las Vegas or Delhi (we will see what if anything Delta intends to do about Boston). However, assuming we and VS all come out the other side of this mess they should be well placed to grow flying from Manchester from 2022/23 onwards.

In that event I’d expect Las Vegas, San Francisco, Delhi and Mumbai to feature prominently in any future plans - a long long way to go for that.
Virgin Atlantic