This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#958935 by ColOrd
16 Jan 2021, 17:53
Almost certainly it.

Choice on many key markets from the UK has been reduced quite a bit over the last 18 months if you take TCX and DY's exits from the market, both with lower yielding leisure traffic, but if VS can capitalise on that to help recovery then excellent.

The signals seems to be that Summer 21 bookings look positive, particularly on MCO, which will make a lot of sense, I just continue to hope that the vaccination programme, entry and testing requirements for both sides of the Atlantic is in a sensible position to allow this.
#959045 by flyingfox
22 Jan 2021, 00:32
President Biden signed a number of Executive Order’s today one covering international travel and along with testing the introduction of mandatory quarantine. There is no further detail as the HSS have a number of days to compile recommendations that will be presented to the President for his sign off. No word on the reported revoking of Trumps Proclamation allowing international travel from certain countries effective 26th Jan but with these new proposed measures perhaps they will honour the instruction.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... al-travel/
#959077 by flyingfox
22 Jan 2021, 22:16
Update from VS Trade;

COVID-19 Changes to our flying programme

We continue to monitor the ongoing Covid-19 situation and global travel restrictions very carefully and changing demand for travel. As a result, we have decided to make additional schedule changes which will affect our Winter Flying programme in the first part of 2021.
We are reducing frequencies on several routes and to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure.

Unfortunately, we have also taken the difficult decision to delay the re-start of the flights detailed in the table below. Because of limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection option available.

Route Travel Dates
MAN - MCO Up to and including 17th March 2021
LHR - MCO “ “

LHR - HAV. Up to and including 27th March 2021

LHR - LAS. Up to and including 16th March 2021

LHR – SFO Up to and including 5th February 2021
LHR – IAD “ “
LHR – SEA “ “
#959124 by Hev60
25 Jan 2021, 12:10
flyingfox wrote:Reuters reporting that President Biden is planning to extend the existing travel bans and has added South Africa to the list;

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 9T0P6?il=0


Quite ironic looking back on a post by Gumshoe in 25th November, exactly two months ago ....“ Some potentially big news: Reuters is reporting that the White House is considering lifting the Presidential Proclamation that’s prevented most Brits entering the US since March”

To be honest it comes as no shock that President Biden will now extend the ban on travel into the US, which is something the uk government should have done 10 months ago. All these travel corridors and quarantine rules were on a path to failure. I believe if you have to allow people to come into the uk then we need do exactly what is happening in Melbourne to the tennis players ie lock them away into hotels so monitoring is possible. Understandably many Australians are furious this event was allowed to happen especially as flights landed in the country with people testing positive on arrival but that is the risk of travel.

The quarantine measures we have here are impossible to manage because of the sheer numbers of people arriving. The enormous queues at Heathrow immigration over the weekend proved this. So we Brits can’t travel but thousands pour into our country from all over the world and are allowed in providing they show a bit of paper with “Covid free” written on it. It’s a complete joke.

The sad fact about this further ban on tourists travelling to the US will mean Easter bookings are very unlikely to happen and the summer looks very uncertain :-O

I felt really positive last week being lucky to receive the first shot of the vaccine and I started to to “think” about travelling again but that enthusiasm was short lived. This news confirms my doubts.
#959135 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2021, 17:26
Hev60 wrote:
flyingfox wrote:Reuters reporting that President Biden is planning to extend the existing travel bans and has added South Africa to the list;

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 9T0P6?il=0


Quite ironic looking back on a post by Gumshoe in 25th November, exactly two months ago ....“ Some potentially big news: Reuters is reporting that the White House is considering lifting the Presidential Proclamation that’s prevented most Brits entering the US since March”


In my defence, I wasn’t wrong!

But yes, it just goes to prove - if proof were needed - that when it comes to Covid-19, two months is a very long time and nothing is certain.
#959138 by Hev60
25 Jan 2021, 18:47
gumshoe wrote:
In my defence, I wasn’t wrong!

But yes, it just goes to prove - if proof were needed - that when it comes to Covid-19, two months is a very long time and nothing is certain.


Absolutely no way do you need to defend yourself Gumshoe. Sorry if my comments gave you that impression. I quoted your post of 25th Nov because of the time line. . You was merely quoting info which Reuters were publishing.

I was just pointing out how ironic it is that the media keep giving out the wrong signals. Perhaps it’s wishful thinking but it is not very helpful to the general public. However I think there would have been a good chance of the US borders being opened again had Trump still been in office ;-)
#959496 by paulreg
10 Feb 2021, 13:01
Hi

Appreciate VS are having to change timetables on a regular basis due to travel restrictions but do they publish on their website flight schedules anymore?
I know if I make dummy booking it will tell me but is their any other way of seeing proposed schedules for Summer period i.e late March onwards?
Thks
#959497 by 747G-VXLG
10 Feb 2021, 13:13
Manchester schedule is currently:
MCO - 12 weekly 332/333
JFK - 7 weekly 333
ATL - 7 weekly 333
BGI - 2-3 weekly 332
LAX - 3 weekly 333
ISB - 4 weekly 789

If this goes ahead, which is unlikely. Aircrafts will probably change due to a lack of 332s and deliveries of the leisure 350s.
#959499 by flyingfox
10 Feb 2021, 16:21
paulreg wrote:Hi

Appreciate VS are having to change timetables on a regular basis due to travel restrictions but do they publish on their website flight schedules anymore?
I know if I make dummy booking it will tell me but is their any other way of seeing proposed schedules for Summer period i.e late March onwards?
Thks

There is a good updated flight schedule available from the VS cargo site;

https://www.virginatlanticcargo.com/con ... HEDULE.pdf
#959673 by Fuzzy14
23 Feb 2021, 14:18
Well BoJo has published his roadmap and legal restrictions should (lots of small print) be lifted by 21 June but unfortunately this doesn't give much clarity for long haul travellers, indeed it makes the situation a little worse. I've got a long standing thrice-postponed flight to Florida booked for 24 June which I still do not think will go ahead as there will likely be international travel restrictions by then. The problem now is if I cancel now I won't get my deposits back as travel in theory could still go ahead, and I can't wait and see as if I want to offload the apartment to an American tourist I really need to list it for hire just now.

Still it is good news that the end is finally in sight, I'm just feeling rather aggrieved as I booked early to try and help companies and I've ended up taking the risk.
#959726 by Fuzzy14
25 Feb 2021, 14:29
Cat_H wrote:According to the BBC News website, international travel will be reinstated from the 17th May at the earliest


Indeed but while international travel will be allowed by UK gov there's still questions about if USA will allow entry and also quarantining on arrival in USA and UK. We've also got the silly situation that if I arrive into England from a non-red list country, I still have to quarantine in a hotel before returning to Scotland.
#959733 by ColOrd
25 Feb 2021, 22:34
Thanks to LREDI for the tip, but a very interesting interview with Shai Weiss https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 008699905/

The slant is his Israeli background, but some very interesting stories of the start of the pandemic.

Pakistan has been really popular with strong demand and pax are loyal.
TLV was doing really well pre-Pandemic with Load Factor above 80% and they are committed to it.
Manchester is good, although he doesn't think the numbers stack up yet for Manchester - Tel Aviv.
Reduction in capacity through DY long haul exit and removal of 340s/380s and 747s industry wide has helped to right size the industry.
Most Loved Travel Company is still very much the ethos and he was very honest and reflective on the mistakes made last year around refunds.
#959734 by gumshoe
25 Feb 2021, 22:49
ColOrd wrote:Reduction in capacity through DY long haul exit and removal of 340s/380s and 747s industry wide has helped to right size the industry.


I suspect he won’t be amused by the suggestion, reported on HfP, that BA is considering deploying A380s to MCO. That would amount to a full-on assault on VS territory.
#959735 by mitchja
26 Feb 2021, 07:54
gumshoe wrote:
ColOrd wrote:Reduction in capacity through DY long haul exit and removal of 340s/380s and 747s industry wide has helped to right size the industry.


I suspect he won’t be amused by the suggestion, reported on HfP, that BA is considering deploying A380s to MCO. That would amount to a full-on assault on VS territory.


Good luck to BA if they manage to fill 97 J seats on an A380 with revenue pax flying on the MCO route.

Even with the current pent up demand for travel (which I personally think won’t last), I can’t see that working for BA on a leisure route such as MCO.
#959737 by flyingfox
26 Feb 2021, 13:27
Update from VS Trade ;

Cancellations. Effective Until

LHR-MBJ-LHR. 16 March

MAN-BGI-MAN. 16 March

LHR-GND-LHR. 16 March

LHR-ANU-LHR. 9 March

LHR-HKG only 16 March

LHR-PVG-LHR. 16 March

LHR-CPT-LHR. 16 March

LHR-JNB-LHR. 16 March

LHR-TLV-LHR. 6 March

During February and March we plan to maintain operations on the following routes, subject to late changes:
Operating. Frequency

Caribbean
LHR-BGI-LHR. 2 per week

USA
LHR-ATL-LHR. 3 per week

LHR-BOS-LHR. 2 per week

LHR-JFK-LHR. 7 per week

LHR-LAX-LHR. 5 per week

LHR-MIA-LHR. 1 per week

India
LHR-BOM-LHR. 3 per week

LHR-DEL-LHR 2 per week

Pakistan
LHR-LHE-LHR. 4 per week

LHR-ISB-LHR. 3 per week

MAN-ISB-MAN. 4 per week

Hong Kong
HKG-LHR only 5 operations
Nigeria
LHR-LOS-LHR. 7 per week

Israel
LHR-TLV-LHR. 2 per week **subject to travel restrictions lifting**

VS Cargo March Rotations; https://www.virginatlanticcargo.com/con ... hedule.pdf
#959740 by Cat_H
26 Feb 2021, 15:40
Fuzzy14 wrote:
Cat_H wrote:According to the BBC News website, international travel will be reinstated from the 17th May at the earliest


Indeed but while international travel will be allowed by UK gov there's still questions about if USA will allow entry and also quarantining on arrival in USA and UK. We've also got the silly situation that if I arrive into England from a non-red list country, I still have to quarantine in a hotel before returning to Scotland.


Sorry, I was just adding this information as you had mentioned that there was no clarity for international travellers. I guess in this case, the info we have is that international travel from the UK will be reinstated from the 17th May at the earliest. Of course, there may be other restrictions, but we have at least a tiny bit of information!
#959797 by VS075
01 Mar 2021, 14:18
mitchja wrote:
gumshoe wrote:
ColOrd wrote:Reduction in capacity through DY long haul exit and removal of 340s/380s and 747s industry wide has helped to right size the industry.


I suspect he won’t be amused by the suggestion, reported on HfP, that BA is considering deploying A380s to MCO. That would amount to a full-on assault on VS territory.


Good luck to BA if they manage to fill 97 J seats on an A380 with revenue pax flying on the MCO route.

Even with the current pent up demand for travel (which I personally think won’t last), I can’t see that working for BA on a leisure route such as MCO.


Pretty sure BA used to fly up to 2 777's a day to MCO, so in their LGW-config 777's that was about 64 seats spread across two aircraft. Another consideration is that their A380's also have 14 F seats.

I agree that in their current config, the A380's layout offers an overkill of CW/F seats. A reconfigured aircraft could work and MCO is A380 ready (Emirates have sent an A380 in the past from DXB and even Qantas for a convention in January last year). The problem is the A380's are currently all stored and I expect BA won't authorise works to reconfigure a number especially for MCO unless they're committing to them long-term. I guess if they're keeping MCO flights at LHR for the foreseeable and they want to use the A380's for something, it's not surprising MCO is one place being considered for them. The route is naturally all about capacity (albeit not for dozens of Business Class seats) and the lower cargo capacity compared to other aircraft shouldn't be an issue.

That said, for as long as the US borders remain shut it's a moot point.

Btw, I found the HfP article where it mentions a rumour of an A380 refurbishment, but not BA sending A380's to MCO: https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/02/2 ... rbishment/
#959798 by ColOrd
01 Mar 2021, 16:48
If there was a perceived oversupply of J on the aircraft, they could quite happily sacrifice yield for volume.

I was thinking about this in general, and if the price is right, I don't think airlines will find it too hard to convince people to trade up either through Proactive Upgrade Offers, App Upgrades or Airport Upgrades. BA are great at doing this already and VS a little less so. People are conscious of space and service right now because of Coronavirus, and also, there won't be a huge demand for J seats from business travellers, so leaving a leisure market to trade up and drive some additional revenue.

I normally travel J, but I know if I was in W or Y and travelling right now, I would happily hand over a £300 or so for an on the spot upgrade.

That all being said generally, I believe our very own Kraken and a few other V-Flyers have been saying for years that VS don't supply enough J seats for the MCO market with the 747s which led to them being a rich mans game!
Virgin Atlantic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: candy and 3 guests

Itinerary Calendar