This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961271 by ColOrd
09 Jul 2021, 11:15
Seconded, I remember the good old days of moaning about that awful champagne they served on board for a while, can't remember what it was called now!
#961273 by flyingfox
09 Jul 2021, 13:44
Update from VS Trade and confirmation of yesterday’s various travel announcements;

The UK Government has announced that from 4am on 19 July UK resident customers who are fully vaccinated and arriving from “amber” countries will only need to take a pre-departure antigen test before returning to England, but do not need to self-isolate upon arrival, instead taking a PCR test on or before Day 2.

This applies to those vaccinated by NHS and post day 14 of second dose.

Participating customers will need to prove vaccination status via the NHS app or NHS letter and will need to include fully vaccinated status on the passenger locator form to benefit from the exemption.

Please note, this system applies to arrivals to England. You must continue to check the requirements you need to comply with for other origin or destination countries before you travel.

Customers are still required to book Covid-19 tests and complete relevant documentation such as a passenger locator form before returning to England.

The following countries served by Virgin Atlantic Airways are allocated:

Green: Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Israel

Amber: China, Cuba, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Nigeria, United States, St Vincent and the Grenadines

Red: India, Pakistan, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago
#961282 by smithy37
10 Jul 2021, 08:12
Our flight is scheduled to fly LHR to MCO on the 11th of Aug. Family of 5 flying upper class so I have a large sum of money tied up in this flight.

When can I expect them to cancel?

I’m checking the app every day for updates. I’ll be gutted not to make it, but it is the uncertainty that is the killer. Even though I’m resigned to the fact that it is highly unlikely we’ll travel there is always that feeling of it ain’t over until the fat lady sings.

I’ve already re-booked once due to a cancellation last August so will I have to fight hard for a refund?
Original booking was made Dec 19 then rebooked and the nominal difference paid Oct 2020.

Thanks.
#961283 by gumshoe
10 Jul 2021, 08:32
MCO flights up to and including Aug 21st were taken off sale last night so I would expect a cancellation soon.

Once VS cancels you can apply for a refund, which should be very straightforward. I don’t know how long it’ll take, but you shouldn’t have to fight for it.
#961284 by mitchja
10 Jul 2021, 08:58
VS may well automatically convert your canceled flights into vouchers. Don't be put off if they do this. if they cancel your original flights, you are still entitled to a full refund and you don't have to accept future travel vouchers.

Once VS do this, you just need to contact them and request a refund instead.

My BOS flight for Jul 23 was also taken off sale last night as well (just under 14 days before departure). The aircraft type & seat map have gone as well now in my booking.

Just waiting for the cancelation / automatic convert to a voucher email. I'll be requesting another full refund for mine.
#961286 by mitchja
10 Jul 2021, 10:06
....and the email has just arrived:

Hello

We're really sorry to advise your flight been cancelled. We're now rebooking you onto another flight, and we'll be in touch with you with these details soon.

If you'd like to rebook the flight yourself
You can either log in to My Booking at virginatlantic.com or on our mobile app via iTunes or Google Play, if you flight is operated by Delta please use the Delta app or My Trips at delta.com.

Or if you're already at your departure airport check in, you can rebook straight away through one of our kiosks. Please speak to a member of the Virgin Atlantic team there if you need any help.If you flight is operated by Delta Air Lines then please speak using a Delta kiosk or speak to a member of the Delta team.

Your cancelled flight details

VS (VIRGIN ATLANTIC) 11
Departs 14:00 LONDON HEATHROW
Friday, 23 July 2021
Arrives 16:45 BOSTON
Operated By : VS (VIRGIN ATLANTIC)

Note: If you have a connecting flight on the same booking, we're looking at this too.

For information on our Flight Disruption policy as well information about compensation and assistance please visit our website.If your flight is operated by Delta please visit the Delta Website.

If you booked direct with Virgin Atlantic, and have any questions you can call us on
UK +44(0) 344 209 8711
US +1 800 862 8621

You can find our other contact details here.

Or if you booked through a travel agent, please call them directly.

Thanks for your understanding. The Virgin Atlantic Customer Team.

#961288 by Coco42
10 Jul 2021, 13:40
gumshoe wrote:MCO flights up to and including Aug 21st were taken off sale last night so I would expect a cancellation soon.

Once VS cancels you can apply for a refund, which should be very straightforward. I don’t know how long it’ll take, but you shouldn’t have to fight for it.

Do you know roughly how long after this we'll get a cancellation email? We were booked for 13th Aug. Thanks
#961289 by Hev60
10 Jul 2021, 14:26
flyingfox wrote:Update from VS Trade and confirmation of yesterday’s various travel announcements;

The UK Government has announced that from 4am on 19 July UK resident customers who are fully vaccinated and arriving from “amber” countries will only need to take a pre-departure antigen test before returning to England, but do not need to self-isolate upon arrival, instead taking a PCR test on or before Day2.

This is really good news just as the school holidays start. However the PCR testing sites need to significantly improve.
My daughter has just returned from a mini break in the Balearic Islands. Yesterday she received her PCR test but this was registered as her returning from an amber country. She spent 3 hours on the phone this morning getting the information corrected. Two of her friends have not even received their test! She was told the department is seriously overstretched and understaffed and cannot cope with all the PCR tests flooding in.
If they are struggling now, what hope for August.
#961290 by mitchja
10 Jul 2021, 14:30
VS usually cancel bookings approx 14 days before departure.

My cancelation email above was sent 13 days and 20 hrs before my scheduled departure.

(VS have since automatically re-booked me on the VS11 the following day - still well within the realms of being able to obtain a full refund from them though as the schedule change is > 3 hours difference)

Requested a full refund now via the online form as I gave up being on hold for 35mins this morning. The call centre message does tell you to use this online form anyway which I eventually found here. Automatic reply from the refunds department received not long after submitting that form.
#961292 by Hev60
10 Jul 2021, 15:03
flyingfox wrote:
Hev60 wrote:Hi “flyingfox”. As usual thanks for posting such significant, detailed and updated info on the forum.
It at least gives us an important insight on how the travel industry, importantly Virgin Atlantic, is progressing and planning for the future as we gradually approach a new ‘normal’
Your informative posts are so welcoming and a nice change from other nonsense reported on a daily basis.

Over the months there have been numerous comments made relating to hypothetical assumptions, especially regarding the US border opening date but at least your info only explains actual planned happenings.
Great info and much appreciated.

Thanks Hev/alanby I for one will be so glad when this particular topic is renegaded to page 200 on the forum. Mitchja and others who actively contribute to the OP I am sure will also be happy to archive this particular subject and can start posting trip reviews and feedback on post covid travel issues.

It wasn’t this Covid-19 thread I was referring to when I said “ Your informative posts are so welcoming and a nice change from other nonsense reported on a daily basis” ;-)
In fact it is quite sad but true, that this thread has been helpful and informative for the v-flyers members over the past 18months.
Perhaps Mitchja could lock this one and head up a new thread ‘The future as we move on after Covid’ but ensuring it doesn’t get highjacked talking about the daily whereabouts, colours, names, etc etc of the Virgin Atlantic fleet!

I am certainly looking forward to the return of those trip reports and waves from the clubhouse. As far as the US are concerned, it would be great if they gave some kind of hope of a planned opening date.
#961296 by 747G-VXLG
11 Jul 2021, 00:29
Hev60 wrote:
flyingfox wrote:
Hev60 wrote:Hi “flyingfox”. As usual thanks for posting such significant, detailed and updated info on the forum.
It at least gives us an important insight on how the travel industry, importantly Virgin Atlantic, is progressing and planning for the future as we gradually approach a new ‘normal’
Your informative posts are so welcoming and a nice change from other nonsense reported on a daily basis.

Over the months there have been numerous comments made relating to hypothetical assumptions, especially regarding the US border opening date but at least your info only explains actual planned happenings.
Great info and much appreciated.

Thanks Hev/alanby I for one will be so glad when this particular topic is renegaded to page 200 on the forum. Mitchja and others who actively contribute to the OP I am sure will also be happy to archive this particular subject and can start posting trip reviews and feedback on post covid travel issues.

It wasn’t this Covid-19 thread I was referring to when I said “ Your informative posts are so welcoming and a nice change from other nonsense reported on a daily basis” ;-)
In fact it is quite sad but true, that this thread has been helpful and informative for the v-flyers members over the past 18months.
Perhaps Mitchja could lock this one and head up a new thread ‘The future as we move on after Covid’ but ensuring it doesn’t get highjacked talking about the daily whereabouts, colours, names, etc etc of the Virgin Atlantic fleet!

I am certainly looking forward to the return of those trip reports and waves from the clubhouse. As far as the US are concerned, it would be great if they gave some kind of hope of a planned opening date.

Hev60 there is no need to have constant digs when you are not personally interested in the information posted. Not everyone on this forum will be interested in everything that is posted and saying that the forum is being ‘highjacked’ and there is ‘nonsense’ being reported daily is completely unnecessary, untrue and childish! I believe this site is for people who love travel and Virgin Atlantic, not to be making snidely comments!
#961297 by Hev60
11 Jul 2021, 01:33
747G-VXLG wrote:Hev60 there is no need to have constant digs when you are not personally interested in the information posted. Not everyone on this forum will be interested in everything that is posted and saying that the forum is being ‘highjacked’ and there is ‘nonsense’ being reported daily is completely unnecessary, untrue and childish! I believe this site is for people who love travel and Virgin Atlantic, not to be making snidely comments!

Over the past nearly eleven years since I became a contributor to this forum, I have participated in hundreds of discussions. I have developed several life long friendships with other users of this forum.

Never ever have I received a personal attack. I find your remarks about being “childish” and making “snidely comments” extremely offensive and abusive.

No further comment.
#961299 by mitchja
11 Jul 2021, 09:27
Can I please remind everyone to keep this thread on topic discussing travel issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Once travel does start to head back to something that looks more normal and VS start operating more passengers flights once boarders start opening again I will lock this thread.
#961325 by flyingfox
13 Jul 2021, 16:03
Update from VS Trade;

It continues to be a dynamic time for international travel with ongoing travel restrictions to and from many of the countries we operate to.

We’re delighted to confirm that from Thursday 15 July 2021, Virgin Atlantic will return to their home in London Heathrow Terminal 3, following over a year of closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This means that from 15 July, all departing customers should go to Terminal 3 rather than Terminal 2.

We’re continually reviewing our flying programme due to ongoing travel restrictions between the UK and US, we have pushed back the restart of some transatlantic flights to late August, including services from London Heathrow to Orlando, Seattle, Las Vegas and San Francisco; and Manchester to Orlando, Atlanta, Los Angeles and New York-JFK. World-leading vaccination programmes in both the UK and US have created the opportunity to safely open up travel between these two low-risk countries whilst protecting public health and we urge the UK Government to move the US to the UK’s ‘Green list’ and for the Biden administration to repeal the 212F proclamation for UK travellers. There is no reason to delay.

As a result of the fast-moving travel environment, we continue to make schedule changes which will affect our Flying Programme for the coming weeks. We are reducing frequencies on several routes, however to ensure impacted passengers can continue with their travel plans, they will be reprotected to the most suitable alternative departure. Where a flight is cancelled, and due to limited operations to these destinations, there will be no reprotection .

Bookings affected by these changes will be updated on Saturday 17 July 2021.

Cancellations Effective until & including
USA
LHR-LAS 21 Aug
LHR-MCO 21 Aug
LHR-SFO 21 Aug
MAN-MCO 21 Aug
MAN-ATL 21 Aug
MAN-JFK 21 Aug

We are also making some frequency updates for August on selected routes.
#961328 by Bluebear
14 Jul 2021, 11:05
Thanks for the update FlyingFox- My cancellation for MCO-LHR 12th August has just come through.

A BIG thank you to Hev60, Mitchja & Gumshoe for all your help and advice with my game of chicken with my flights.

Thanks to you all, I held out converting to a travel voucher until Virgin cancelled and I now will have much more flexibility for 2022! Thank you!
#961339 by Hev60
14 Jul 2021, 21:25
Bluebear wrote:Thanks for the update FlyingFox- My cancellation for MCO-LHR 12th August has just come through.

A BIG thank you to Hev60, Mitchja & Gumshoe for all your help and advice with my game of chicken with my flights.

Thanks to you all, I held out converting to a travel voucher until Virgin cancelled and I now will have much more flexibility for 2022! Thank you!

Glad it’s worked out for you Bluebear but also sad you’ve not got Florida to look forward to.
I think I’ve seen written that these vouchers are open until 2023 but hopeful someone else will give you advice on that one.

If you was planning any visits to the Disney parks, your experience will be far better next year as the 50 yr celebration start in October and go on for 18months. Hev
#961341 by flyingfox
14 Jul 2021, 21:55
ColOrd wrote:Do we know what is going on with the spa yet?

VS have updated their website this evening, it looks like there is a new area opening soon called the “Clubhouse Retreat” and the introduction of Peloton equipment, hopefully the spa will return when things get back to normal.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... house.html
#961342 by ColOrd
15 Jul 2021, 13:44
Sadly it looks like the Spa has gone for good.

The old hairdressers is now where the new Peleton bikes are. I assume the massage areas/treatment rooms are being converted to maybe some type of mini cabana!

Very sad, but at least it’s back open
#961343 by mitchja
15 Jul 2021, 13:55
Refund confirmation email received today from VS for my canceled BOS flight showing the full refund amount. Looks like VS have got on top of refunds now.

Oddly though, the booking is still showing in my list of flights?

My LNER Advance train fare has also been converted into a voucher valid for 12 months today as well. LNER are finally using common sense again and are now once again allowing all advance fare tickets to be converted into vouchers without any admin fees or silly date change policies they tried on earlier this year!
#961349 by flyingfox
15 Jul 2021, 20:20
Just received an email from the FCO regarding an update to the entry requirements to enter the US, not sure what we can read into this change;

Latest update:
Update to information on quarantine and testing requirements for entry to the USA ('Entry requirements' page)

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all air passengers arriving to the US from a foreign country get a COVID test no more than 3 days before their flight departs and present a negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight. If you are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine or a vaccine authorised for emergency use by the World Health Organisation, you should also get a viral test 3 to 5 days after travel. Unvaccinated people should get tested with a viral test 3 to 5 days after travel and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel. Those who have recovered from a documented COVID-19 infection within the last 3 months, should follow all requirements and recommendations for fully vaccinated travellers, except you are not required to get a test 3 to 5 days after travel unless you are symptomatic. In addition, everyone should follow all state and local guidelines. More details are on the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Quarantine requirements
For international arrivals, the CDC requires that unvaccinated passengers are tested within 3 to 5 days after travel and self-quarantine for 7 days after travel. Passengers fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO-approved vaccine do not have to quarantine but need to take a viral test within 3 to 5 days of arrival. If you are travelling domestically within the US, individual states and territories may have their own quarantine requirements. A full list of local quarantine requirements is available on the CDC website. You should check the list frequently as it is likely to change, sometimes daily, as rates of COVID-19 transmission increase or decrease.

Demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status
The USA has not yet confirmed that it will accept the UK solutions for demonstrating your COVID vaccination status. You should follow guidance for alternative entry requirements. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination.

#961350 by mitchja
15 Jul 2021, 20:25
flyingfox wrote:
ColOrd wrote:Do we know what is going on with the spa yet?

VS have updated their website this evening, it looks like there is a new area opening soon called the “Clubhouse Retreat” and the introduction of Peloton equipment, hopefully the spa will return when things get back to normal.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... house.html

Hmmmm I hope VS make showers mandatory after using those as I for one don’t want to be sat next to a sweaty person for 7Hrs+ on my next Upper Class flight >-(
#961352 by jilly
16 Jul 2021, 00:31
Hev60 wrote:
Glad it’s worked out for you Bluebear but also sad you’ve not got Florida to look forward to.
I think I’ve seen written that these vouchers are open until 2023 but hopeful someone else will give you advice on that one.

If you was planning any visits to the Disney parks, your experience will be far better next year as the 50 yr celebration start in October and go on for 18months. Hev

I had reward flights x 4 booked for 12 Aug UC/PE LHR/MCO

Rang today and changed them for Easter hols 2022 - there does not have to be reward availability, just seats available.

I also had it confirmed that my vouchers from Feb and April 2020 were valid until April 2023

Jilly
Virgin Atlantic