This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961353 by David
16 Jul 2021, 06:57
flyingfox wrote:Just received an email from the FCO regarding an update to the entry requirements to enter the US, not sure what we can read into this change;

Latest update:
Update to information on quarantine and testing requirements for entry to the USA ('Entry requirements' page)

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all air passengers arriving to the US from a foreign country get a COVID test no more than 3 days before their flight departs and present a negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight. If you are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine or a vaccine authorised for emergency use by the World Health Organisation, you should also get a viral test 3 to 5 days after travel. Unvaccinated people should get tested with a viral test 3 to 5 days after travel and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel. Those who have recovered from a documented COVID-19 infection within the last 3 months, should follow all requirements and recommendations for fully vaccinated travellers, except you are not required to get a test 3 to 5 days after travel unless you are symptomatic. In addition, everyone should follow all state and local guidelines. More details are on the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Quarantine requirements
For international arrivals, the CDC requires that unvaccinated passengers are tested within 3 to 5 days after travel and self-quarantine for 7 days after travel. Passengers fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO-approved vaccine do not have to quarantine but need to take a viral test within 3 to 5 days of arrival. If you are travelling domestically within the US, individual states and territories may have their own quarantine requirements. A full list of local quarantine requirements is available on the CDC website. You should check the list frequently as it is likely to change, sometimes daily, as rates of COVID-19 transmission increase or decrease.

Demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status
The USA has not yet confirmed that it will accept the UK solutions for demonstrating your COVID vaccination status. You should follow guidance for alternative entry requirements. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination.

This makes sense now

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 6mDA_pv5rU

Unfortunately you have to register to read entire article, but headline gives some hope.

Fingers very tightly crossed

David
#961358 by ColOrd
16 Jul 2021, 13:16
#961368 by mitchja
17 Jul 2021, 10:01
My VS refund hit my AmEx account this morning so requested that go back to my bank account.

VS do now seem to be keeping on top of refunds now. This one was much much quicker than the last VS refund!

From requesting the refund to receiving the refund was 7 days.
#961372 by Hev60
17 Jul 2021, 16:51
mitchja wrote:My VS refund hit my AmEx account this morning so requested that go back to my bank account.

VS do now seem to be keeping on top of refunds now. This one was much much quicker than the last VS refund!

From requesting the refund to receiving the refund was 7 days.

Mitchja, I am probably misunderstanding your first sentence but would you be kind enough to clarify.

So the refund money went to you AmEx account and are you saying that you can ask for that money to then be transferred back to your bank account?

The reason am ask is because my daughter has just had her packaged holiday to Mexico cancelled and she thought the refund money (which is quite a lot) will just go back onto their Virgin M/card and would stay there until they use it up in the months to come.

Thanks, Hev
#961373 by mitchja
17 Jul 2021, 17:22
Hev

Yes. If a refund puts your credit card (or charge card) account into credit you are entitled to request that be transferred to a bank account.

I've done this with several times without any issue with my AmEx charge card, my Virgin Money M/Card and Nationwide credit card due to VS & hotel refunds over the last ~18 months or so.

You do need to ring them (or online chat where available; AmEx have this) and they will ask for the sort code and account number of your bank. The transfer will then take a few days.

Sometimes (again AmEx will do this) they will also ask to upload a bank statement to confirm the account details are correct before they process the transfer.

The only exception is If there is an outstanding balance on a credit card account, the refund will go towards that first.

Where the card account is linked to airline miles such as the VS M/Card, a refund will cause a deficit of miles/points so you may well not earn the expected miles following a refund until the deficit miles balance cancels itself out. VS won't remove the points from your Flying Club account but it may take some time to start earning points from credit card spending again.

Worth pointing out as well that even if you no longer have the card account you paid with, the refund will still go back to the original card issuer and that will temporarily re-instate a closed card account which will then initiate a statement being sent to you, allowing you to then request the transfer in exactly the same way as above.
#961374 by Hev60
17 Jul 2021, 20:47
Mitchja(James) thank you so much for your reply and the information. I honestly did not know that was possible. In my daughter’s case, she will really appreciate over £7k going back into her bank account. They’ve just cleared the monthly statement so that’s good news too.
Thanks again. Hev
#961388 by 747G-VXLG
19 Jul 2021, 17:45
The US have added the UK to their level 4 travel list.
#961389 by ColOrd
19 Jul 2021, 17:59
Is that good or bad?
#961390 by flyingfox
19 Jul 2021, 18:00
The US CDC has updated its travel advisory to level 4 for the United Kingdom

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/co ... ed-kingdom

Edit to add link from the US State Department aligning its alert status to level 4 do not travel advisories;

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html

And in other news to coincide with the pubs opening up fully without restrictions on the ground, in the air the upperclass bars and social areas also reopen;

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/virgin-atlan ... FPKU8jHAYL
#961391 by tontybear
19 Jul 2021, 18:13
So much for all the hope they would open up to us!

Hope it means my BA Sept flights (booked, rebooked, rebooked and rebooked) get cancelled again so I can use the new BA ticketting rule where instead of having to rebook within the 1 year date of ticketting it's now within one year of flight.
#961392 by mitchja
19 Jul 2021, 19:13
ColOrd wrote:Is that good or bad?

Bad - level 4 is as bad as it’s gets meaning avoid travel to these destinations. If you must travel to these destinations, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.
#961393 by Hev60
19 Jul 2021, 20:25
‘Flyingfox’ has posted the relevant link on the Covid thread, giving full details of the US gov decision.
#961394 by gumshoe
19 Jul 2021, 20:42
For clarity, there are plenty of countries classed as Level 4 which are not subject to a Presidential proclamation like the UK is.

That said, it does seem unlikely that Mr Biden will throw open the borders and welcome tourists from a country Americans are being warned not to go to.
#961395 by whiterose
19 Jul 2021, 23:02
USA is also on the Level 4 list. You’d think that meant we could travel between UK and US wouldn’t you, given we’re all at the same level? In your (and my) dreams alas. I wonder how many split-asunder families like ours there are? We’ve not been with our family in New Jersey for nearly two years, all of us are full vaccinated except the 12 year old in the States, the “problem” is more politics than science.

It doesn’t just make you want to weep, I’ve shed far too many tears in the last 16 months, it’s so dispiriting that this decision (or the absence of it) is now in the hands of politicians not scientists and clinical staff
#961398 by 747G-VXLG
20 Jul 2021, 00:31
There is an announcement due on when the borders may reopen later this week. I don’t think anything can be predicted yet on what will be said as the USA are starting to see an increase in cases again too.
#961401 by ColOrd
20 Jul 2021, 08:40
747G-VXLG wrote:There is an announcement due on when the borders may reopen later this week. I don’t think anything can be predicted yet on what will be said as the USA are starting to see an increase in cases again too.

This is about US-EU travel, I am not expecting that there will be anything on US-UK travel because of this latest change.
#961402 by VS075
20 Jul 2021, 09:35
ColOrd wrote:
747G-VXLG wrote:There is an announcement due on when the borders may reopen later this week. I don’t think anything can be predicted yet on what will be said as the USA are starting to see an increase in cases again too.

This is about US-EU travel, I am not expecting that there will be anything on US-UK travel because of this latest change.

When the proclamation first came in, it was all of the Schengen area initially before the UK and Ireland (both non-Schengen) were added in a few days later. Both the UK and Ireland are not part of the Schengen area and were treated as one by Mr Biden's predecessor, plus there's an open border between the UK and Ireland and Ireland recently re-opened to double-vaccinated travellers from Britain. There's also been issues about whether to recognise the AstraZeneca vaccine given it's not yet approved for use in the USA but has been widely used in the UK and also in smaller numbers across the EU.

It will be interesting to see how they address all this nonetheless. I'm not holding my breath for a quick announcement given how long it's been kept in for. I'll let others decide if it continues to be a rational measure.
#961404 by 5549
20 Jul 2021, 09:44
Just typed a long reply but its got lost on the ether.

Long and short, I am having doubts about my Dec 21 flights to LAX now and starting to look at options..

Sad because I think we should just be getting on with it now but there you go. If you are jabbed and masked up there is literally nothing else we can do because pandemics can last a very, very long time and thinking this is going to be over next year is dream land this is going to be our situation for at least the next 5-10 years possibly longer.
#961409 by ColOrd
20 Jul 2021, 13:54
Currently on the phone to VS to cancel two G's to LA for September.

I am genuinely having to hold back tears, this trip was rebooked from 2020! I know I'm not the only one, but this sucks :(
#961410 by David
20 Jul 2021, 14:32
ColOrd wrote:Currently on the phone to VS to cancel two G's to LA for September.

I am genuinely having to hold back tears, this trip was rebooked from 2020! I know I'm not the only one, but this sucks :(

Know the feeling , this is really becoming a grind now and I keep having to try and convince myself there is light at the end of the tunnel, its just a wee bit further away than we think.

David
#961412 by VS075
20 Jul 2021, 16:34
David wrote:
ColOrd wrote:Currently on the phone to VS to cancel two G's to LA for September.

Know the feeling , this is really becoming a grind now and I keep having to try and convince myself there is light at the end of the tunnel, its just a wee bit further away than we think.

David

I do feel for anyone who is having to constantly defer or cancel bookings.

After the pain that was awaiting a refund from Virgin Holidays for a cancelled trip last September followed by a further wait for a refund from VS themselves for upper deck seats, I decided I would not book any trips to anywhere outside the UK unless I had a good amount of certainty that it will go ahead as planned. That means where I'm going being open to tourists and not having to go through isolation both on arrival at destination and on arrival back in the UK. Red list countries are obviously out of the question. I don't really have the time, money or emotion to be committing myself to trips that aren't guaranteed to go ahead. I don't want large amounts of money tied up in credit notes or vouchers with any organisation either as I'll be out of pocket if the organisation I had credit with went bust and I don't want to be tied up to time limits on when to use them either.

The rigmarole of testing I can live with as I accept that's likely to be here to stay for the foreseeable, but it's an extra cost that must be factored in. Gone are the days of being able to book something with a couple of days notice.
#961415 by EmmaPeel007
21 Jul 2021, 01:47

Right there with you. We were supposed to go to London from Los Angeles in September to see our daughter. It's been almost a year since we've seen her. I'm gutted.
#961416 by ColOrd
21 Jul 2021, 08:01
Sorry to hear that Emma, hopefully soon!!
Virgin Atlantic