This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956202 by Coco42
02 Jun 2020, 09:43
We have an open ticket which I'm now trying to rebook for April next year.
We want to return on 23rd and I've been tracking prices for over a week. The lower price tickets for up to 22nd were added last week, but the ones for 23rd are still not showing. We're flying MAN-MCO.
I've spoken to a couple of people at VA. We were going to take a day off the holiday and return on 22nd because of the prices, but they both said to hang on as only the flex fares were in the system at present. First person said the lower price tickets should be loaded by Sunday, which they weren't. 2nd person said they'd be in by Monday, yet they're still not loaded. I'm worried about the prices for the outbound flight increasing while we're waiting for return flight prices to come down.
Been flying with VA for over 20 years, and never known it take so long for lower price tickets to be available. Is this the norm now?
#956203 by CommanderB
02 Jun 2020, 11:15
It's fairly normal for flex fares to be loaded first and then lowest fares loaded later. I think this is being exasperated right now with most staff either on furlough or dealing with COVID issues.

It's also possible that VS are waiting to try and gain higher revenue now (not nice for you, I know) to help them with their cashflow situation.

My suspicion is that when flying does start again, most carriers (VS included) will launch a sale to jump start bookings... But that is merely speculation on my part.

Unfortunately, nobody knows for sure, so just keep checking. And if you find something that is reasonably priced - buy it (assuming you are ok with the risks given the current situation). Airline tickets are like the stock market... trying to time the market is a very bad idea, if you like something - buy it.
#956207 by tontybear
02 Jun 2020, 12:59
call centre staff can only go by previous experience and policies but they aren't responsible for loading the fares and so it does not always happen 'on time' if revenue management forget to hit the button to release them.

Air fares are at right mess at the moment. I've been monitoring fares for a couple of trips to the US later in the year / early next and over the weekend the 'good' fares just dissapeared only for them to return yesterday and the same happened a couple of weeks ago.