This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956560 by ColOrd
06 Jul 2020, 19:36
So again with a positive spin on current events as we return to normality and head towards the date for VS Project Restart, attention starts to wonder just what the passenger experience will be like from Terminal 2 for those of us at the pointy end of the plane.

I've already resigned myself to no drive through check-in, and I'm hearing that there's no fast track security right now, but that's mainly as the numbers are so low its pointless.

BA seem to have done a surprisingly competent job at getting lounges back open in T5, with a sort of Hybridge F/J Offering between Galleries South, Galleries First and even turning the terrace into a makeshift Concorde room. App ordering and table service makes it all seem pretty good and on that other forum which cannot be mentioned, things look and feel like they are getting back to a better normal, and actually the Clubhouse style service.

Now, assuming that T3 was open, VS could adjust the exiting service in the CH very easily to be compliant, but sadly, we aren't in T3 and I'm hearing that it might be as late as early next year for T3 and 4 to reopen.

So what options does that leave VS for J class pax in Terminal 2, and in fact will they offer anything, cash is in short supply, so would a voucher for a coffee at Pret maybe be all we get? I suspect that we might see something better than that and that in the background the operational teams are working on a solution, so let's delve in and have a wander round the options.

VS - Little Red with its wet lease arrangements with Aer Lingus used to use the Aer Lingus T2 Lounge, and whilst its a pleasant enough lounge for EI these days, with some lovely views, it neither has the size nor the facilities to cope with passengers using it for long haul trips.

The Lufthansa Lounge is a much bigger space, I think by about double, and I've used the J class side of the lounge but not the Senator part, however I would be very doubtful if LH and VS were involved in any kind of deal, so I think we can rule this out.

The last lounge in the main building is the Plaza Premium Lounge around the back of World Duty Free. Although there is no natural light in this lounge, its not a bad space, although when I used it, it was like a zoo! The showers were excellent, and the food and drink weren't too bad, VS have got arrangements with Plaza Premium elsewhere, so this is a definitely maybe!

Over into the satellite building, and I hasten to admit, unchartered territory for me, neither flown from it nor used the lounges there.

The satellite seems to be the focus for most long haul flights from T2, as it has more gates capable of handling widebody aircraft, so it seems highly likely that VS will be opping out of here.

Lounges are: United Club, I think we can rule this one out just on the basis that I think UA would never allow a DL partner to use their lounge!

Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge, I'm guessing its a no on that one.

Last and in my mind most likely; Singapore Airlines SilverKris lounge, which is split into an F and J side. Could the F side maybe be roped off just for VS using staff from the Clubhouse? VS and SQ still have codeshares and arrangements with each other, so I think this one could be highly likely maybe for VS/DL UC/D1 pax and other DL Status Pax are relegated to the Plaza Premium?

What do you guys think, or in fact do you think that we might see a return to T3 and our hallowed Clubhouse sooner than we think?!
#956561 by gumshoe
06 Jul 2020, 19:46
Barring a much larger and quicker than expected upturn in long haul business travel, I think it’s safe to say T3 will be closed for a long time to come. AA & AY are soon to move into T5 (along with QR) which shows BA isn’t expecting to return to full capacity any time soon so I would expect the current T2/T5 operation to continue for the foreseeable future.

As for T2 lounges, Plaza Premium and Singapore would indeed be the most likely candidates - my guess would be the latter but it is only a guess. I assume it’ll come down to whoever offers VS the best deal.
#956570 by Christo
08 Jul 2020, 23:03
I've just been speaking to Virgin sorting out our flights in Oct/Nov which had become messed up again. No ability to select seats and a phantom LGW flight in addition to our LHR flights. I had previously been told not to worry and that it would all resolve itself...not true. Anyway this chap was very helpful and now all sorted.

I asked about lounge access given that T3 isn't open and he said that "as things stand you will still be able to use the lounge in T3"

I replied "even though the terminal is closed?"

He replied "Yes, they have special access upon arrival but will be able to give you more information once you arrive."
#956571 by zjc
09 Jul 2020, 09:30
This has been on the VS website for sometime now:

Upper Class customers and Gold Flying Club members
We’re delighted to offer our Upper Class, Gold Flying Club members and eligible customers of our partners access to the Plaza Premium Lounge in Terminal 2, since Terminal 3 and our own award-winning and much loved Clubhouse are temporarily closed.

Plaza Premium has been awarded the prestigious SKYTRAX award for the World’s Best Independent Airport Lounge for three consecutive years. You can find it on level 4 in the Terminal 2 departure lounge. Just show your Upper Class boarding pass or Gold Flying Club card as usual to access the lounge.

Customers can also make use of the Plaza Premium Arrivals lounge when arriving in to Heathrow Terminal 2, located on level 1 of the Arrivals Hall, whilst our own Terminal 3 Revivals lounge is temporarily closed.

Our Upper Class customers are welcome to use the Fasttrack security lane in Terminal 2, located behind our temporary check in desks in zone C.

Thank you so much for your support and understanding, it means a lot to us right now. We can’t wait to reopen the doors to our award winning facilities throughout T3, from welcoming you through our Upper Class Wing, to serving you again in our flagship, much loved Clubhouse and Revivals very soon.
#956638 by flyingfox
15 Jul 2020, 22:47
In a kind of related subject to the OP I just received an email from BA informing me that my flight in November to Gibraltar that was moved to T5 has been moved back to its proper T3 location, not sure if this is a sign that LHR plan to open T3 or its just an automated admin related change and will be moved back to T5 nearer the time.
Virgin Atlantic