This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#956642 by RLF
17 Jul 2020, 11:28
Mixed messages in the last 24 hours from BA, the 380's live on as one returns for repairs, but the 747's "are going", or "maybe going" or are"very likely" to be withdrawn without another flight.

Interesting to see the French 773 that had an issue recently had 468 on,more than a BA or VS 744! How about social distancing in that, cant have been good for a 10 hour flight....
#956643 by mitchja
17 Jul 2020, 11:31
BA have now confirmed that all their remaining 744's are being retired with immediate effect (32 A/C I believe).

This decision isn't really anything to do with social distancing or seat numbers, more to do with operating cost per mile. The 744 is a very expensive A/C to operate and maintain for all airlines.

I would *guess* the 388 has a lower operating cost per mile than the 744 does?

BA were also in the process or re-fitting their 744 cabins. How many had actually been re-fitted?
#956644 by Silver Surfer
17 Jul 2020, 13:40
All the BA 747-400 aircraft that were scheduled to have refits had already been done.

18 Hi J (86 Club World Seats) G-CIVF/G/H/I/R/S/V-Z and G-BYGA-G (G-CIVG was ferried to St Athan last November - just a couple of days after Tinker Belle)

9 Mid J (52 Club World Seats) G-BNLY/ G-CIVA/B/C/E/O/P/T/U

The remaining 6 aircraft in service (G-CIVD/J-N) were never due to be refurbished because these airframes were nearing the end of their economic lives. One went to St Athan in March (G-CIVM) and 3 are sat at Kemble (G-CIVJ/L/N) with their engines removed.