This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957218 by Miyamoto Musashi
20 Sep 2020, 04:00
With things starting to get released a bit, I've been wondering how is travel in the days of Corona. Haven't been able to find any trip review since the new Corona service started.
I think that masks are required the whole flight - it that true? Any meal service? Is Upper Class worth it with the current service? ( I read they're minimizing interactions - what does it mean?)
Really curious,
Thanks
#957220 by mikethe3rd
20 Sep 2020, 05:00
I’m not sure this thread is going to get any more traction than your last request... whilst I am also interested, most of this forum will be Brits who are heavily restricted by C19 restrictions and can’t enter many (if not all) countries VS serve. Fingers crossed there’s someone here currently flying VS.

Having flown with EasyJet and BA recently, crew seemed eager to interact with us and just seemed somewhat grateful to have passengers on board. I can’t imagine VS being any different.

Going majorly OT, but interactions might have been due to a fairly empty CE cabin and being sat in 1DF. For the EZY outbound, we tried the Luton signature elite and crew were asking what it was like. I must do a TR of this service as it was superb from start to finish. On board was fairly mask-less as we were enjoying our drinks... harder to justify on a 7hr+ flight I’d imagine.
#957227 by Miyamoto Musashi
20 Sep 2020, 16:12
Thanks mikethe3rd.
A friend of mine is a United passenger on a regular basis and he told me United is pretty strict about the mask policy and that service is virtually non existent. It's good to know that's not the case for everyone.
#957228 by cheesebag
20 Sep 2020, 19:30
I've seen a couple of you tube videos (sad I know) of premium passengers on different airlines just getting everything pre packed so cabin crew contact is virtually non existent.
#957250 by TimCrawley
22 Sep 2020, 10:51
I recently flew in Business with Corsair (Orly to Pointe a Pitre - so a 10 hour flight each way) and although masks obligatory for both staff and customers (except when eating / drinking) it was pretty much unchanged in terms of service provided except the tray of help yourself goodies (similar to Wonder or is it Wander Wall on VS). They asked you to use the call button or wave at passing staff rather than going to the galley yourself for anything..... so I expect most airlines do similar.

So, unless you eat like Billy Bunter and/or drink like Oliver Reed, you will spend most of the flight masked up. For a 1-2 hour flight that's normally fine but as I had struggled a bit on a previous 2.5 hour flight in August I did some 'training' before this much longer round trip - so I practiced in the two weeks before the long flight sitting in front of the TV a few nights going 2-4 hours with mask on and only taking off to have a drink or a snack.....which was how I discovered I really needed to take some extra masks with me as 2 hours was about the maximum before it got difficult to breathe through (on flight itself it seemed to be every 3 hours I needed a change but I guess it's drier atmosphere on board?). I also found when on board that I could only grab a snooze with a disposable mask on, the reusable cloth ones I normally use didn't work well for me....so I should have done a snooze test too (but luckily they had spare (free) disposable masks on board so the extremely friendly crew sorted me out). Given the VS routes are all long haul the preceding would be my advice, for what it's worth.

The welcome on board was really fantastic and the staff really did their very best throughout within the restrictions - knowing the calibre of the VS crew I'm sure you would get an equally great welcome and service on board despite how difficult it is for all airlines to operate at the moment.
Virgin Atlantic