This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957281 by bonefish101
25 Sep 2020, 13:45
Hi all, I need some advice please. I usually fly once a year to visit my mum in the UK, IAD to LHR upper class. I haven't flown since Covid and I noticed that Virgin no longer offers a direct flight out of IAD to LHR. My dilemma is I am unsure whether to connect in JFK or ATL and whether to pick a flight operated by Delta/Virgin or Delta/Delta. This will be for an upper class ticket, any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
#957282 by gumshoe
25 Sep 2020, 13:55
First of all - and sorry to be blunt - you need to ask yourself if your trip is absolutely essential. Covid numbers are rising sharply across the UK. Many cities are now banning visits to other people’s homes, with more to come, and you would have to self-isolate for two weeks on arrival unless you’re exempt.

If you’re still intent on visiting, JFK or ATL are pretty much your only options right now I think.
#957283 by bonefish101
25 Sep 2020, 14:06
Thanks for your bluntness, my mum is 85 years old and this may be the last chance i get to visit as her health is so poor. Your advice so far, has been a waste of my time. If you have nothing constructive to offer then thanks but no thanks. I already realize that JFK and ATL are my options, as posted in my thread. I'm trying to get advice on which is the better option, not a Covid briefing. Thanks though...
#957288 by matt.hibb
25 Sep 2020, 18:33
Blimey, I think gumshoe was only trying to be helpful.

Back on topic...
I'd probably pick ATL eastbound. Simply because it's a longer overnight flight and that gives more chance to get some sleep. If you think you're more interested in a nicer lounge or want a short flight because you won't sleep, then it's JFK.

Overnight I'd choose Virgin. You would either get the a decent bed with the traditional herringbone, because in my opinion the fact the seat flips forward it provides a great flat sleeping surface. Or you might get the new upper class on an A350 which has good write ups (though I have no 1st hand experience of yet)

Westbound I'd choose whichever airline and route was simply the most convenient time wise.

Also bare in mind that onboard service is significantly reduced/different during covid.
#957294 by tontybear
25 Sep 2020, 23:51
Perhaps if you had had included details such as the age of your mother in your original post you might have got a different response from Gumshoe.

TBH I'd have said the same based as the info in your first post and ask is your journey really necessary.

As to whether to fly via A or B is down to your personal preference and the departure times from IAD, length of connections, arrival times into LHR and flight lenghts.

Normaly there would be a discussion on issues such as via JFK and you would get the Clubhouse and via B you would get longer sleep but at the moment that's not really a factor.

As to not getting a 'covid briefing' well you are going to get one.

Where will you isolate for 14 days before visting your 85 year old mother so you can visit her safely?
#957299 by Virginlondon
26 Sep 2020, 06:39
Hope you manage to visit your Mother. I’ve had to fly too and it’s been safe and easy if a little different.

Challenging times indeed, but we need to make sure we keep some perspective.
#957302 by bonefish101
26 Sep 2020, 13:59
Yes, agreed, sorry Gumshoe, probably not my best response to good advice. I'm a little stressed about this whole thing, I've been isolating here since Feb but having to travel is a bit unnerving. The thought of bringing something into her house and making her sick is a huge concern but I don't have much time left to be able to see her and obvs we'll be taking all possible precautions.
Virgin Atlantic