This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#957746 by Ex virgin
23 Oct 2020, 03:08
Up until recently I worked for Virgin Atlantic, I worked as crew for 21 years. I was proud, I loved Virgin, I loved my job, I loved you our customers.

Covid 19 is nothing the airline could control and redundancy was inevitable and preventable. What was preventable was the way virgin treated its staff.

I was in the top 25% of my rank, I was invited to an event called the incredibles and event for the top performers in the airline. I was part of promotions, I crewed inaugural flights. I was invited to take part in workshops. My score given to me by my colleagues was 4.7 out of 5. The score given to me by customers was 78% generated by what customers say on the survey’s they get sent after flights. I was well respected. I worked hard on every single flight despite destination or aircraft type. All good so far.

However because I worked mainly on the 787 with decent ife etc compared to the 600 or 330 camera were mainly happy. When it came to redundancy Virgin said they were going to use voice of customer (the same I’d the surveys you get sent) to say who was being made redundant. Other things including sickness etc was used to.

However because Virgin knew some crew were getting poor scores because of aircraft type and destination they normalised everyone’s score. Which meant my score was lowered because it was too high and other peoples was made higher than what they had.

I went from being in the top 25% of my rank to being in the bottom 50% which meant I was classed as underperforming. Not once in my career was I told I was under performing. I had a good sickness recorded and no other blemishes on my file.

Some of the comments made my customers that I got made redundant for were things totally out of my control and comments made about crew without my name even being mentioned. Things like my leg room was poor, my first meal choice was not available, my entertainment didn’t work, the seat, my bad didn’t arrive. They ran out of alcohol, they stopped serving me alcohol, they said I was drunk, my flight was delayed.

I was made redundant along with other very experienced crew who were top performing crew. The majority were long serving crew over the age of 40. We cost more, we got more leave, we were too expensive. So they got rid of us and they kept underperforming crew and kept crew with very little experience. They even kept crew who have not even completed their training.

Virgin say they care about their staff they do not. I was not even sent a thank you for your service email from my manager on my last day. I’d been there 21 years.

They made some crew redundant then admitted they had made a mistake and said they were not redundant then made them redundant again.

They are a shambles. They are currently making crew do fights where they work one way then travel back on the same fight as a passenger without even giving the crew food or a place to change in the airport. They are sending crew to pvg and la for one night. The crew that are left are saying they are starting to feel exhausted. It’s an accident waiting to happen.

The airline we all loved and knew is dead. They don’t care about their staff and they have little respect for what Virgin is. The current ceo and the vp of cabin are people who are only interested in themselves. The lies they tell are disgusting.

Think about who you want to give your money to next time you fly. Think about they treated crew and next you complete a survey think about how it could affect people. If you have a complaint write to Virgin don’t use a survey because Virgin will play dirty games with it.

Most loved travel company should be most disliked travel company.

Red on the inside should be dead on the inside.
#957750 by Lucydog
23 Oct 2020, 12:01
What an awful situation you now find yourself in. This virus has broken many work places up and lives have been ruined, there have been many jobs lost and much bitterness left behind in the wake. Airline travel will now change slowly forever trying to grow but it will be slow and wages low as well. Lets hope it does not take to long and you find employment soon. Good luck on your new journey. :)
#957752 by plane340
23 Oct 2020, 13:48
I am so sorry to hear this. What an awful situation. However I have seen over the years how Virgin as a company has continued to reduce the high and exciting levels of service they provide to crew and customers.
Virgin were always my first choice when traveling to the USA and I together with family and friends talk a lot about how things have changed and that their special brand has just all but vanished.
So many stories about how badly loyal staff have been treated.
Like with so many other companies now, whether a customer or employee, your life depends on 'computer says no' rather than you as an individual. So disappointing.
I hope things get better for you.
Last edited by plane340 on 26 Oct 2020, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
#957758 by v1rotatev2
24 Oct 2020, 10:17
Also, so sorry to hear this. What a terrible loss for you, and it may take some time to work through what has happened. I think you are grieving something that you loved. With my very best wishes and I do hope that you find work fulfilment and happiness in the future.
#957759 by Janeclar
24 Oct 2020, 10:46
I am also so very sorry to hear this. I have been looked after by so many wonderful crew members over the years. Thank you very much if you were one of them. Good Luck for the future.
#957760 by Tigerlilly
24 Oct 2020, 12:14
I’m so sorry to hear you lost your job. It’s awful, I agree and hope you secure another job very soon.
But I don’t think suggesting customers book elsewhere will help the aviation industry, it’s remaining staff or customers. We need all companies to survive to ensure competition in the sky, and to stop more job losses.
They may not have used the best system but they were on the brink and obviously cut costs as much as possible.
I wish you the best for the future x
#957761 by Murraymint
24 Oct 2020, 13:25
Can I echo other comments and send my best wishes to you for the future. I usually fly from MAN/LGW/GLA and only once from LHR so it’s unlikely that I will have flown with you. I can honestly say that I have never experienced a bad crew with VS, one or two mistakes, but every one has been friendly, welcoming and hard working.
I have sat on both sides of the desk in your situation and would always like to think that decisions were being made fairly and openly. However, it doesn’t always turn out that way and all anyone can do is try to move on - difficult, I know but I hope that you can try to put it behind you and find something new and exciting.
#957769 by ILikeSoton
25 Oct 2020, 13:44
I was wondering when this was going to happen to VS. I've noticed the VS experience dwindle over the years and always looked to place blame on the CEO. As an outsider it's mostly conjecture but when someone from the inside echoes the things I feared then it's sad days ahead, COVID or not. If you've flown the NYC-LHR route often over those years I have no doubt I've enjoyed your experience at some point. I'm sad I won't get to experience it again, at least under the same circumstances. Best wishes going forward and in your next endeavor.
#957857 by PilotWolf
02 Nov 2020, 06:13
I had similar happen to me. I’d only been there 6 1/2 years but it destroyed me and my marriage to lose that job.

Then the virus and I haven’t worked in 13 months.

W.
#957860 by mallin
02 Nov 2020, 17:49
I can only sympathise with the poster. I have been made redundant three times in my working life and each has had a devastating effect on our finances and home life.

The last one was really hard as it was my dream job, the one where you enjoy getting up and look forward to the working day. I was 3 years off retirement but he bosses came to see us all and said we are closing this unit down, that's it, its not profitable any more and game us three months notice.

Due to my age it was impossible to find another job, they only paid us the statutory redundancy which is not a lot believe me, nothing for loyalty or going in when you feel rotten or covering for other staff on your day off. i had worked there for nearly 15 years and was the best sales person in the unit by far getting recommendations every year and pulling in millions of pounds of sales for them over this time period.

We survived but after 10 years later I am still very bitter on the inside I know you shouldn't but it just grates that bosses can treat loyal and hard working staff like a throw away item.
#957884 by Brian New
04 Nov 2020, 10:04
Really sorry to read this.
I've always enjoyed flying with VA over the years (Sometimes UC - wonderful).
The best bit about the cabin crew was that I always felt that they and us were "on the same side", (unlike BA staff, who always seem to treat the passengers as a darned nuisance) and that they were enjoying the whole thing as much as us.
I hope you find another job soon. Wishing you all the best.
Virgin Atlantic