This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#958257 by locutus
04 Dec 2020, 12:12
Say goodbye to the 747 with a special pop up event at LHR on the 12th Dec.

Tickets on sale Mon 7th Dec at 9am. First come, first served.

https://blog.virginatlantic.com/the-hot ... xperience/
Last edited by locutus on 05 Dec 2020, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
#958303 by VS075
07 Dec 2020, 10:46
skstorm wrote:What a shame they couldn't have done this at Manchester too given we had about 7 or 8 of them at one point !!! Seems a bit unfair when half the country currently isn't allowed to go :-(

I suppose it was a question of timing and appropriateness given current circumstances. In an ideal world, I suspect VS may have (or I hope at least) laid on a pleasure flight for an hour or two given interest in 747's and the role the 747 has played since day one. Something like that with proceeds going to charity would have gone down well.

One advantage of doing it at LHR is that it's in their own hangar which they don't have a MAN, so it's easier to lay something on like this within an environment they can control better.

I agree it's a shame given current restrictions for us Tier 3 residents. I certainly would have tried to do it if it wasn't for that and the fact it's almost Christmas (as I would have had to factor in travel to/from London on top of the ticket price), but alas not. What I do have though is memories of flying onboard various -200's and -400's over a 19 year period.
#958305 by jwhite9185
07 Dec 2020, 10:56
David wrote:It's all getting a bit nasty on twitter - such a shame that this event is being tarnished.

As I mentioned above, it's seemingly all the Instagram kids with millions of followers who have conveniently grabbed the tickets.

Yet to see anyone else mention they have them.
#958313 by 747 G-VROS
07 Dec 2020, 16:22
Perhaps in hindsight, they should have sold draw tickets online as Pilots Together did for yesterday's event. They got things organised online very quickly.
Knowing how popular the 747s were, if they really only had 50 tickets selling them online 'first come first served' wasn't the best idea.

G-VROS.....
#958314 by s2driveruk
07 Dec 2020, 16:34
Agreed, i was in process of checkout and then they vanished. First come first served with no clarity on people to slots seems to have left a lot of people with a pretty sour taste and a cynical perspective of who got them and who didnt. Bit of a PR mess to be honest...
#958319 by CHill710
07 Dec 2020, 18:28
I also tried to get tickets this morning. got through to the times at 09:00(+a few seconds) and they were all gone :(
#958321 by Raffles
07 Dec 2020, 22:17
(One of my rare posting over here!)

There are two press sessions on Friday, so anyone high on the Virgin influencer love-in list will be going to that. We have been offered two tickets so clearly they don't have that many people to impress.

There was no password on the site. On Friday it originally said there was, but the message was correct over the weekend to say that there was no password, and they were just using a password lock to allow them to set up the landing page.

I agree that the allocation system was poor and I told the press office this within 5 minutes of being tipped off about the event on Friday. They told me that they wanted it to be accessible to everyone, hence £50. [Unless you live in Tier 3 I assume!] However, we had 2500 clicks out from Head for Points on Friday and Saturday just testing the link, so I can imagine the carnage this morning.
Virgin Atlantic