This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962292 by Bluestraw
09 Oct 2021, 21:44
I'm trying to re-book our twice-delayed trip to Orlando (first planned in August 2020, then again in August 2021)... We were previously booked in Upper (I) both ways, but while there are plenty of flights out there mid-August with availability in face code 'I', trying to return at the end of August shows no flights in that fare code at all (best is 'D' which is £3k more expensive for the family). Looking at the seat maps, some of the flights are almost empty in Upper...

Does anyone know how the revenue management folks decide what flights will get I (or even Z) fare codes released? It seems impossible right now for us to re-book as we can't fly out (for personal reasons) until after 8th August, yet coming back roughly 2 weeks afterwards is the problem. We're looking at LHR - MCO btw...

Last year I did the same thing (re-book for Aug 2021) and while limited dates were available, I at least found some options...
#962293 by buns
10 Oct 2021, 05:52
Hi and welcome to V Flyer

Whilst the mysteries of VS Revenue Management are such that the "truth is out there somewhere", the reality is algorithms can produce any outcome you want!

In this case, VS are currently taking on the leisure A350's and I found only this week that a booking for early next year I made less than a month ago that featured A330's on both legs with 30 UC seats has now been replaced by a leisure A350 with only 14! Coupled with the fact most airlines are now hoping to make up for lost time and cash, my personal view is the days of good prices are swiftly diminishing.

That said, if you are holding deferred open tickets, you may be pleasantly surprised what a call to VS would elicit

Buns
#962295 by Bluestraw
10 Oct 2021, 11:07
buns wrote:Hi and welcome to V Flyer

Whilst the mysteries of VS Revenue Management are such that the "truth is out there somewhere", the reality is algorithms can produce any outcome you want!

In this case, VS are currently taking on the leisure A350's and I found only this week that a booking for early next year I made less than a month ago that featured A330's on both legs with 30 UC seats has now been replaced by a leisure A350 with only 14! Coupled with the fact most airlines are now hoping to make up for lost time and cash, my personal view is the days of good prices are swiftly diminishing.

That said, if you are holding deferred open tickets, you may be pleasantly surprised what a call to VS would elicit

Buns

Thanks! Yep am holding open tickets so will try calling this week :)
#962296 by Bluestraw
10 Oct 2021, 11:08
mitchja wrote:One option could be to fly in-direct via somewhere like JFK or ATL.

Thanks, unfortunately some of the group are quite nervous flyers and adding an additional flight to the plan wouldn't work...
#962299 by ScoobySu
10 Oct 2021, 17:24
Bluestraw wrote:Thanks! Yep am holding open tickets so will try calling this week :)

You could try the on-line rebooking form

https://help.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/contact-forms.html

but I have to say my attempt using this was rejected.

I rang the call centre mid-afternoon two weeks ago and left my phone on speaker whilst continuing to work, and managed to get through to a CSA in 45 minutes. They re-booked my open ticket, which was originally G's in off peak, reversed the routing and moved to peak. There were no G's available on the inbound when searching, but the CSA forced two open for me and there was no fare difference - so hopefully if you can get through you'll get the result you need!
#962301 by Bluestraw
10 Oct 2021, 18:49
ScoobySu wrote:
Bluestraw wrote:Thanks! Yep am holding open tickets so will try calling this week :)

You could try the on-line rebooking form

https://help.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/contact-forms.html

but I have to say my attempt using this was rejected.

I rang the call centre mid-afternoon two weeks ago and left my phone on speaker whilst continuing to work, and managed to get through to a CSA in 45 minutes. They re-booked my open ticket, which was originally G's in off peak, reversed the routing and moved to peak. There were no G's available on the inbound when searching, but the CSA forced two open for me and there was no fare difference - so hopefully if you can get through you'll get the result you need!

Thank you! I will give that a go and will pick a day for return that clearly has a LOT of empty seats in Upper.
Virgin Atlantic