This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963243 by ColOrd
24 Dec 2021, 18:35
I’m really annoyed! >-( >-(

Sadly my flight isn’t going amazingly!

CSS stepping up as FSM! She’s lovely, and the crew are in general but apparently from today VS have reclosed the social spaces! I’m really upset about it, it’s one of the reasons I fly VS! Apparently this came in today!
#963250 by 747G-VXLG
24 Dec 2021, 23:55
G-VROY wrote:As in onboard bar and loft? Don't get the logic.. everyone on board has tested negative?

Completely agree, no logic at all. Also the price that passengers have paid will still be the same, but for less service in upper.
#963251 by 747G-VXLG
24 Dec 2021, 23:56
ColOrd wrote:I’m really annoyed! >-( >-(

Sadly my flight isn’t going amazingly!

CSS stepping up as FSM! She’s lovely, and the crew are in general but apparently from today VS have reclosed the social spaces! I’m really upset about it, it’s one of the reasons I fly VS! Apparently this came in today!

Was there any advance warning email or press release for this?
#963253 by G-VROY
25 Dec 2021, 01:11
I hope you have a good trip ColOrd.

I do hope this is a very temporary measure. I booked Upper in March into MIA out of MCO. Bar on the way out, loft on the way back. They then changed to a 330 on the return. No problem with that.

Then revivals closes, and now bars/lofts on board unavailable?

I sort of understand revivals, but the on board bar/loft where everyone has already tested is a real kick to be honest.

Should have booked PE if this is the case.

Very disappointed.
#963266 by woralla
26 Dec 2021, 15:07
Currently on a Boxing Day flight to the US. (Crew are excellent btw). But the 787 bar is closed, so many passengers using the ottomans of their travel companion. Lots of strangers sitting directly opposite one another with no masks. The couple behind me (lady constantly coughing) has her husband on her ottoman, without mask, directly in my line of fire… At least with the bar open, those travelling together can sit maskless away from everyone else!
Virgin urgently need to rethink this one!
#963276 by JamieF
27 Dec 2021, 06:24
Just got off the boxing day flight to Delhi. This is a cost cutting exercise and nothing to do with covid. I sat at the bar and worked there, the snack tray they had with crisps etc in it every packet was touched by those wanting a snack. After touching them all they generally picked nothing. Perfect for Covid!!!

I will be writing a TR on LHR-DEL chance to hear about a non prestigious route!
#963286 by AlsirAl
28 Dec 2021, 16:49
So sorry to hear this happen so close to Xmas! It massively frustrates me when changes happen and could easily be communicated out earlier but don’t!! It’s not like VS decided to close the social spaces 1 hour before the flight! There would had been all kinds of meetings and decis

Could be worse though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59808620
#963581 by ColOrd
16 Jan 2022, 11:47
Some recent posts on IG under the #VirginAtlantic would suggest they have yes!
#963582 by VSSCC
16 Jan 2022, 11:54
They still remain closed at the moment..

I know people onboard are still using the bar to stage photographs (well they have been on my flights) but there's no service at the bar.
#963585 by ColOrd
16 Jan 2022, 15:37
Cheers, any sign of them reopening now that Omicron is massively on the down and the closure was only brought in again on the 24th!
#963589 by VSSCC
16 Jan 2022, 21:59
Nothing mentioned at the moment but they were closed without much warning so suspect the same could be said for the reopening.

I know a balance needs to be struck between having this unique product available but also making others feel comfortable.

It has to be said that the bar began to feature heavily as a detractor in customer scoring from J and W customers uncomfortable with the amount of time people would sit with their masks off.

I have experienced first hand verbal abuse when trying to enforce mask wearing following a 'few' drinks at the bar.

One option could be that a visit to the bar becomes time limited (an hour?) This would reduce the amount of time without a mask but also keep the bar available for as many of the J customers as possible - Has to be said this based on nothing but my own thoughts on how to manage the bar post covid.

Everyone is individual and sits in their own place on the scale of covid restrictions and what they want.

Very Tricky.
#963591 by mitchja
16 Jan 2022, 22:22
It is indeed a tricky one. I do think the onboard bar days are numbered now. I would imagine the A351 loft social space concept is going to be what we see gong forwards on all new and refitted VS A/C from now on.

It’s the usual thing in that the selfish few always end up spoiling it for everyone else. It’s a sad thing to say but IMHO COVID-19 has without any shadow of a doubt brought out the worst in a lot of people.
#963594 by ColOrd
16 Jan 2022, 23:02
It’s a similar issue, to the one I despise, that is those who blame the crew for mask wearing with other passengers.

I have to be honest all of the reported (I say reported as I am not an virologist so I am relying on reports!) science and discussion is now that we have peaked and pandemic moves into endemic!

I’m personally a big fan of social interaction and getting the bars and lofts reopened is quite important for me to enjoy the flight! It’s not about drinking, it’s about the interaction!
#963595 by ColOrd
16 Jan 2022, 23:05
And thanks VSSCC, it’s an interesting perspective on others take on this that both Upper and Prem customers were complaining.

I think your idea is a good one for a temporary solution!
#963604 by flyingfox
18 Jan 2022, 15:32
VSSCC wrote:Nothing mentioned at the moment but they were closed without much warning so suspect the same could be said for the reopening.

I know a balance needs to be struck between having this unique product available but also making others feel comfortable.

It has to be said that the bar began to feature heavily as a detractor in customer scoring from J and W customers uncomfortable with the amount of time people would sit with their masks off.

I have experienced first hand verbal abuse when trying to enforce mask wearing following a 'few' drinks at the bar.

One option could be that a visit to the bar becomes time limited (an hour?) This would reduce the amount of time without a mask but also keep the bar available for as many of the J customers as possible - Has to be said this based on nothing but my own thoughts on how to manage the bar post covid.

Everyone is individual and sits in their own place on the scale of covid restrictions and what they want.

Very Tricky.

Is that why the curtains remained open throughout my recent flight between J & W?
#963764 by ColOrd
04 Feb 2022, 21:27
A friend went out to LA last week and reported the loft was open on his 350
#963897 by chrisfinch_2000
17 Feb 2022, 16:33
Hiya everyone!
Sorry to labour the point, keen to understand if there are more reports of social spaces being open on board :)
Just saw an article on Head for Points about Emirates opening their on board lounges for for the first time in 2 years… so am keeping things crossed that Virgin have followed suit, but I can’t find anything official…
#963899 by buns
17 Feb 2022, 17:38
chrisfinch_2000 wrote:Hiya everyone!
Sorry to labour the point, keen to understand if there are more reports of social spaces being open on board :)
Just saw an article on Head for Points about Emirates opening their on board lounges for for the first time in 2 years… so am keeping things crossed that Virgin have followed suit, but I can’t find anything official…

When we flew back last week, the FSM intimated the re-opening of the bar would not be too long in coming.

Fingers crossed it happens soon

buns
Virgin Atlantic