This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#399 by snoz
09 Mar 2004, 17:30
Hi

I've been reading this site for the last few months and find it interesting and valuable. Thanks for your efforts.

The reason that I've been promopted to stop lurking and write something is ths; I completed a trip last week which brought me up to 32 tier points. Last year that would have made me gold - However, Virgin have (for perfectly good reasons, I accept) increased the Gold status to 40 again, and so despite being ridiculously overly excited, I still have a few more flights to go.

The reason for my message is this; are there any short cuts? I started flying regularly to the US in the summer of last year. I fly virgin to NY, and AA everywhere else. AA obviously monitor flying trends because - unprompted - they kicked me up to Platinum when I was only half way there. Made me a very happy chappy. I'm flying 3/4 times a month on Virgin at the moment, and so am so certainly doing enough "time" to get to Gold - do they ever bring accreditation forward? And if so, any way of encouraging it? I'm flying with them again at the end of the month, and so any suggestions appreciated (although I'm expecting that I will just have to persevere!).

Thanks.
#26515 by Bazz
09 Mar 2004, 17:43
Hi Snoz and welcome,

If you have 32 tier points you only require eight more to qualify for Gold. You say you are doing 3/4 trips per month on VS, well you only need two round trips in coach at 4 tier points a piece to get you there, doesn't sound like you need a short-cut! ;)
#26516 by snoz
09 Mar 2004, 17:49
True Bazz. I actually meant 3/4 flights (1 / 1.5 round trips), but you are still right.

But I upgraded on my recent JFK trip and had the lounge experience.... Much as I enjoy sitting with 30,000 people in the Heathrow departure lounge, this lounge milarky was pretty good, and so I thought if I could bring it forward then it was worth a try.

Still, I will survive for a cpl more months. Think of me whilst you are being pampered! ;)
#26561 by RichardMannion
10 Mar 2004, 18:31
Sure I'll think of the VirginFlyer members tomorrow whislt I'm sat in the LHR Clubhouse....

Champagne
Haircut
Food
Fun with the staff

My friend goign with me can't wait to get his hands on some more Krispy Kreme donuts.

Thanks,
Richard
#26576 by jm
10 Mar 2004, 21:17
I've been eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts for over 30 years. Throughout high school some clubs I was in would sell Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts by the dozen for fundraisers. I remember going to the Krispy Kreme Shop with a friend and my friend's parents' station wagon and filling that car up with well over one hundred boxes! What's best are the shops where they make the doughnuts (you can watch them being made). They all have neon signs out front saying "hot now" when a hot batch comes off the conveyor belt. Cars start entering the parking lot!
#26578 by snoz
10 Mar 2004, 21:32
Just for the record.... I will be standing outside the lounge giving some people some REALLY dirty looks! ;) Enjoy. See you inside in a few weeks.

(wonders if I could get away with mugging you on your way in)
#26579 by snoz
10 Mar 2004, 21:34
quote:Originally posted by snoz
Just for the record.... I will be standing outside the lounge giving some people some REALLY dirty looks! ;) Enjoy. See you inside in a few weeks.

(wonders if I could get away with mugging you on your way in)

mug you for your card, that is!
#26581 by mcuth
10 Mar 2004, 21:51
quote:Originally posted by snozmug you for your card, that is!

Nah, if you're going to make that much effort, at least take his wallet too :D:D
#26582 by RichardMannion
10 Mar 2004, 22:50
I'd quite happily hand my card over - trying walking in there with a card that says my name on it.... I know what the response would be from the staff:)

Anyway you can't get near the Clubhouse anymore unless you have a valid ticket to go near it, there is a desk by gate 12 that checks for J/F/C class entitlement to use the lounges. Which is a bit of a shame, used to watch with enjoyment as peopel tried every trick in the book to try and get in....

If my VS FC Ag friend wasn't travelling with me, I would have happilly taken you into the Clubhouse as my guest.

I'm flying again next Wednesday evening, so if anyone is on one of the evening flights let me know (Young, Good looking single females get priority :D)!

Thanks,
Richard
#26592 by snoz
10 Mar 2004, 23:50
I appreciate the offer, Richard, and have decided not to mug you. Instead, I am putting on my miniskirt in anticipation. I'll probably even have a shave!

Cheers
#26593 by RichardMannion
11 Mar 2004, 00:04
Britney Spears lookalikes are very welcome :D Missed her by one day in the LHR Clubhouse last year, missed Natalie Imruglia and a whole host of other stars that were going to Peter Gabriels wedding by a day the year before [:(!]

But then I did encounter Lil Kim and Blu Cantrell in the Clubhouse and on the flight to LAX last year after the MOBO's :D

Thanks,
Richard
#26594 by mcuth
11 Mar 2004, 00:10
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
(Young, Good looking single females get priority :D)!

Three out of four isn't bad, but I ain't dressing up funny or having the operation just to get into a clubhouse no matter how good they are :D
#26605 by jaguarpig
11 Mar 2004, 10:37
Krispy Kreme donuts were gone from the clubhouse when we passed through a couple of weeks ago.It was late so maybe they had been scoffed before we arrived.Hope so as next flight is early.Have a good trip.
#26625 by RichardMannion
11 Mar 2004, 18:35
The Krispy Kreme donuts have gone [:(!]

But there is now a fridge just under the stairs where the bespoke tailor used to be that is full of the 'Innocent' smoothies - plenty of choice too.

Thanks,
Richard
#26628 by snoz
11 Mar 2004, 18:47
As the person who started this discussion, can I just point out that reading about smoothies, donuts and bespoke taylors is really not helping. When I sit in the AA Lounge in the US, I get a voucher for a complimentary drink from the bar...!

Yours, Jealous of South Woodford
#26716 by eighthsage
14 Mar 2004, 18:25
quote:there is a desk by gate 12 that checks for J/F/C class entitlement to use the lounges.

Are you sure that is what they do?

Yes, they check that you have a boarding pass but I think that is all they do. I've had no issues getting past them eith my economy class pass.
Virgin Atlantic