This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#434 by jonathan020
12 Mar 2004, 21:57
Just out of interest, where does everyone in the forum generally travel too when flying Virgin Atlantic? Are they mainly business or pleasure? Let me start....

I fly Virgin a couple of times a year for pleasure. In the last few years I have flown a number of times to Las Vegas and Los Angeles and the last year twice to Boston and will do so again in the summer.
#26673 by BlackCat
12 Mar 2004, 23:15
The Cat and the Kitten do the Caribbean once or twice a year (always via ANU it seems) and South Africa (CPT/JNB) once a year and usually somewhere else like SFO or HKG. Round the World every other year, usually via LAX/SFO and HKG, but next year via Star Alliance rather than VS (have to use those upgrade vouchers!)

BC
#26681 by AndyK
13 Mar 2004, 01:41
I've only flown once with VS (San Francisco), other than that, in the past year I have done San Francisco another two times, and San Diego once. Off to Las Vegas in April (flying VS to LAX then onwards with UA).
#26682 by shazam
13 Mar 2004, 10:54
We usually fly from LHR-LAX with VS at least twice a year, although in April we are flying back from SFO for a change, and once we did fly direct to LAS.

We tend to use America West for internal flights from LAX to LAS, SFO and PHX.

These days its all for pleasure.

Shaz
#26683 by buns
13 Mar 2004, 11:33
Mrs Buns and I usually travel 2 - 3 times a year on pleasure to the US.

More often than not it is to MCO, but we have also taken in LAS and if we are really lucky we get to go from LHR to LAX or JFK.

We always look to VS and try and plan accordingly

buns4vs
#26684 by candyman
13 Mar 2004, 12:07
the candyman , mrs candymans and the 2 young candys are flying lgw-mco typical b+s this november. first time in uc. only 2nd time , out of 5 , i have used vs. the last time was in 2000 and it was bloody awful.trying again this time as i have a different mrs candymans and a disabled daugther and we have been advised that vs are the best around for helping disabled travelers.
ill let you know whe nwe arrive back just before christmas as we are staying for 1 month this time
:D[8D]
#26687 by mitchja
13 Mar 2004, 13:40
I usually travel to the US 2 -3 times a year for pleasure. Off the SFO in April (reward flight). Will propbably go back to NYC in June then maybe BOS later on this year.
#26689 by Buffers
13 Mar 2004, 14:01
95% of travel on VS is for work -- favourite destinations incl. JFK, EWR, LAX, NRT...

Planning to use the companion ticket offer for a trip to either California or part of trip to NZ with Mrs Buffers later on in the year.
#26691 by pegitt
13 Mar 2004, 16:26
Flew last april LHR-LAX with free upgrade to UC due to ticket cockup was ment to fly PE but there were no seat's over book'd then LAX-LAS with american west then home direct fron LAS-LGW
that was for pleasure then in oct LHR-MIA PE return for business.

In april off LHR-SFO PE then SFO-LAS with american west and direct back home PE from LAS-LGW.

Previous to those flight's i have flown with Virgin 6 times and swear by them if only they flew direct to Spain and south of france from london i wouldn't set foot on another airline.
#26695 by mcuth
13 Mar 2004, 17:57
At the moment, I'm flying LHR>SFO ~4 times p.a. for pleasure, and LGW>MCO once p.a. for business.

In fact, on Monday, I start a 3 week US trip which sees: LGW>MCO (VS), MCO>SLC>SMF>SLC>JFK (DL), JFK>LHR (VS) :D

Kewl news today is that I just won £1k to spend at Thomas Cook, so that looks like it's taking care of a PE ticket from LHR>SFO in July :D
#26720 by ashort1
15 Mar 2004, 09:00
Mr Short and I do JFK/EWR/BOS 2/3 times to visit friends on East coast. Mr Short also does JFK 4 times a year on business.All of these flights are with Virgin and normally fly PE. This year we are flying to SFO for pleasure in May and also have a companion ticket to use up sometime this year!
#26721 by TJ
15 Mar 2004, 09:43
My usual journey is LHR - EWR (and occasionally JFK).

I do a lot of work with the UN, so New York is where I go most with VS.

I also have many friends in New Jersey, which is why EWR is preferred over JFK.

TJ :)
#26722 by Vslf
15 Mar 2004, 13:37
Up until a year ago I used to travel to New York or LA four or five times a year for work, since a change in job it's now a couple of times year to the US on holiday. Normally city break trips to Boston, Washington etc. Just enough to keep me silver

VSlf
#26763 by jaguarpig
16 Mar 2004, 13:39
Everywhere VS go to apart from Lagos/Port Harcourt and I missed out on Toronto but did manage Chicago before it was binned.
#26767 by anteo
16 Mar 2004, 14:12
Mainly US non B+S destinations for holidays although I was tempted by Hong Kong last year. Am still looking for a job with a travel budget to suit my needs :D

Great idea for a post
#26768 by bluefish
16 Mar 2004, 14:14
Mainly LHR-SFO about 3 times per month on average - like to chuck in a few NYC as well. Saving miles for syndney!
#26800 by onionz
16 Mar 2004, 18:07
Hi Everyone! First post here. This is a great forum, really professional looking, and some great advice here too.

Been doing LGW-LAS returns the last three years, twice last year in a variety of classes which bumped me to silver. Before then went to SFO, LAX, MCO and JFK, one trip a year from 1991-1997 - so I started young!

Anyone remember the Freeway card that preceded Flying Club? My parents got one each but never kick-started their membership because you need to do a PE return or 3 Economy returns in one year to start earning miles, if i remember right. That's a clever way to exclude the B+S people!
#26834 by KeithAB
16 Mar 2004, 21:20
LHR to EWR and back about once per fortnight, two or three days there each time, since end of Jan probably until end of March, then all over again from late June to early Sept - all on my own - which means that I've already exhausted the shopping opportunities at EWR to buy trinkets to keep Mrs A-B and the two junior A-Bs from forgetting who I am!

However, I should go from zero to gold card in under twelve months!

The master plan is to stop Mrs A-B getting a decree nici by using the miles to fly her and me UC to SFO
#26925 by jaguarpig
17 Mar 2004, 16:24
onionz
I have had a couple of different cards the previous had the small boy launching a model plane and the freeway one when I first joined in 94 was a silver and red geometric design I think.I like the mark 2 of the current card the best of the lot.
#26959 by onionz
17 Mar 2004, 21:48
I think it's the silver and red one i'm thinking of. Ahhh..nostalgia! :)
#27005 by AlanA
18 Mar 2004, 09:27
We fly to the USA at least once a year for holidays, mostly to MCO. We have used other airlines for other trips to the US because of their onward connections to places such as Texas, Wisconsin, Vermont etc..
So I have air miles with Virgin, (just dropped down from Silver..boo!!) BA, American, Continental.

Also do a lot of flying around Europe from BHX mostly, so no Virgin European collection any more (used to collect Virgin points an BMA)
#27026 by Goldenoldie
18 Mar 2004, 12:36
Mrs Oldie and I go skiing via Boston and then Las Vegas (drive to Salt Lake) each year. We also go to MCO en route to SW Florida and then have a break in Barbados later in the year.

I go to BOS, IAD and SFO on business.
#27030 by Bazz
18 Mar 2004, 12:57
Birkin and I only travel for leisure these days. One trip LHR-LAX-LHR to see family every year and what ever else we can fit in. This year as well as the above we have done LGW-LAS-LGW and are doing LHR-MIA-NAS-MIA-LHR with the LHR-MIA-LHR legs on VS and the other bit on AA (I think).

We hope to do another trip LHR-JFK-LHR in October finances willing so that we can use the new Clubhouse (Richards report has made me envious!) and should do a BMI LHR-TFS-LHR over Christmas and New Year to collect a few more FC miles.
Virgin Atlantic