This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#435 by RadioactiveMan
12 Mar 2004, 23:12
Ok, I've been trying to decode the whole UCS situation. So question number one is... Will the 346's be getting UCS fitted soon? We're headed out on Sept 6 on VS22. Since January it's been 340's of one variety or another. (I can't tell for sure about Feb and most of the month, we live under the landing pattern for IAD, I know it's an A340, just can't tell what flavor...)

We'll be traveling with a 13 month old and bought him a seat, if we're lucky enough to have a UCS flight, should I be concerned that he won't be able to see us during takeoff and landing? We're bringing his carseat and really don't want to have him on our laps for the whole flight (hence the reason we bought him a seat!)
#26675 by BlackCat
12 Mar 2004, 23:31
The IAD route seems to vary wildly in terms of equipment. Could be a -600 in Sept though. Suites are being fitted in these planes after the 747s are done, and the new -600s will be delivered with Suites in place so there is a "reasonable" chance but I wouldn't bank on it. The -600s will all be done by the end of the year. Allegedly.

If you do have UCS then you'll need to choose your seats carefully if you don't want you child distressed (err.. maybe I mean the rest of the pax distressed... :)). The dividers are relatively high and unless you work things out you may not be able to see him. UCS does not have bassinet positions, so it is worth asking VS advice.

Regards,

Fallout Boy

PS. I can't believe I got through this reply without recourse to comments about duct tape... I'm mellowing in my old age!
#26678 by declansmith
13 Mar 2004, 00:19
Virgin Atlantic will not allow you to use your own child car seat onbaord the aircraft.

However they will provide you with an infant car chair (ICC) which will be fitted to the seat by the crew for you .

The ICC is used for children from 6months to 3 years.

This is VAA policy!!!

The child will have to maybe sit on a prents lap for take off and landing as they are under 2 y/o.

UCS suite will be fitted to A340-600 from the end of the summer.

All 747-400 should be kitted out by july/aug
#26680 by RadioactiveMan
13 Mar 2004, 00:56
quote:Originally posted by declansmith
Virgin Atlantic will not allow you to use your own child car seat onbaord the aircraft.

However they will provide you with an infant car chair (ICC) which will be fitted to the seat by the crew for you .

The ICC is used for children from 6months to 3 years.

This is VAA policy!!!

The child will have to maybe sit on a prents lap for take off and landing as they are under 2 y/o.

UCS suite will be fitted to A340-600 from the end of the summer.

All 747-400 should be kitted out by july/aug

I'm surprised by the policy on the carseats, especially since ours is FAA approved. However, if as you say, Virgin will provide an alternative, that would be fine with us, honestly I don't want to have to lug that thing around anyway! :D

Come June I'll call Virgin to discuss the situation further... The airfare is part of a package from Cunard, so once Cunard actually provides us with the tickets, I'll call Virgin to discuss strategy.

As for the passengers around us... Let me put it to you this way... Before we had our son, we were the type of people who would ask for the "No Screaming Section." We still feel that way, and go out of our way to keep our kid quiet so as not to disturb us, let alone those around us! And we're very proud of that... Departure is within on hour of his bedtime, so hopefully he will go down not long after we're airbourne... and we may try and help that along...
#26685 by declansmith
13 Mar 2004, 13:22
The car seat policy is VAA policy.

It has nothing to do with CAA or FAA, just in the event of an emergency the virgin ICC is better for the brace position as it acts the same way as a normal seat.

If you are flying upper class J2000 sests call special assistance and pre book bulkead seats at least this way you will have plenty of space in front of you on the floor if the baby wants to sit and play with toys, also there is a skycot postion for the baby.

Hope this helps!
Virgin Atlantic