This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#444 by RedVee
14 Mar 2004, 17:07
Hi - this is particularly meant for Pixuk and TBS who have both given relevant seat ratings, although all replies will be gratefully received. I had posted part of this original query in general discussion but only got partial replies.

I'm flying on VS27 on 26 March and have prebooked seats 76 A and C and 77 A (upstairs in PE - K fare). The return on VS28 is on 8 April.

VS27 is consistently showing no availability in any class, conversely VS28 seems to have reasonable availability in every class.

It seems more than likely that this route will operate with a normal LGW 747-400, although I've also noticed that LHR 747-400s may operate the route later in April. Looking at previous posts, it looks as though this flight might operate with rows 11 & 12 as PE service.

Question is - even if I can secure a move on check in (the night before in respect of VS27) - would it be worth it? Pro's for staying upstairs seem to be quietness of cabin and probably dedicated FAs?

Pro's for downstairs would be the bigger seats but row 11 faces the toilets and the galley as far as I can see - and economy is directly behind row 12. Would you have a different view for each leg? Say go out upstairs but try for row 11 on the way back as things should be generally quieter and the seats are bigger for potential ZZZZs.

And finally, if staying upstairs would it be worth changing 77A for 75A on check in?
#26745 by The_Banking_Scot
15 Mar 2004, 20:55
Hi patjohnson,

I've travelled in Row 11 on the way back for MOC (PE service) and never had a problem with noise from the Galley or from Y.
( Probably see if it is available at check in) and definately more chance of zzz's on the over night leg.

As to the Upper Deck definately see if you can get the exit row (75 ) at check in ) lots of room - no problems with the exit slide and you might even be able to chat with the cabin crew on take off/landing.

Regards

TBS
#26783 by Bazz
16 Mar 2004, 16:24
Hi Pat,

We have just returned LGW-LAS-LGW originally booked in PE row 80 on the UD, we managed to get exit row 75 at check-in in both directions but were lucky enough to be upgraded to row 11 a&c outbound and h&k inbound. This was full UC service.

Being tall (6ft 4in) I took the aisle seat both ways but your feet do get in the way and if the curtain is closed, which it was the best part of both flights, people can trip over or tread on you. It does spoil it a bit as you are conscious of this and keep moving your feet.

On balance I would definitely move from rows 76 and 77 to the main deck, row 12 may be better than row 11, the Y pax do seem to be breathing down your neck a bit but you won't get trampled on. Remember there are only 18 Y pax in that cabin so it's not like it is the whole Y cabin, noise wasn't a problem during either of our flights.

The Recaro's and the recline will be more comfortable than the PE seats. If you can't get 11 or 12 then go for 75, we've done the equivalent of rows 76 and 75 on a LHR flight (rows 71 and 70) and the exit row wins hands down.
#26784 by mcuth
16 Mar 2004, 16:37
quote:Originally posted by Bazz
row 12 may be better than row 11, the Y pax do seem to be breathing down your neck a bit but you won't get trampled on.

Unless, of course, little children from Y keep running into the cabin and their parents have to chase them to catch them (yesterday's VS027)*sigh*
#26787 by Bazz
16 Mar 2004, 16:49
Ah, that's when you don't mind having someone trip over your feet! [}:)]
#26813 by mcuth
16 Mar 2004, 19:35
quote:Originally posted by Bazz
Ah, that's when you don't mind having someone trip over your feet! [}:)]

Chasing them? Yeah - but I'd prefer for the little blighters not to venture past the curtain in the first place :D

Cheers
#26824 by RedVee
16 Mar 2004, 20:40
Hello all and thanks for the replies

I'll definately try for row 75 on the way out - whether we go for 1 or 2 seats is dependent on whether Virgin have an age related occupancy of exit row seats - the daught is a very sensible 14 - so we might end up with 75 A&C and 76 A or 75A with 76A & C.

Also really seems worth trying for row 11 on the way back. Bazz - height is no problem - although Mr J and the daught are of average height (5'9 and 5'5 respectively) I never quite managed my ambition of reaching 5' - I could probably lie down in row 11 without my feet hanging over anything!
#26847 by Tinkerbelle
16 Mar 2004, 23:32
Virgins policy for the exit row is no one under the age of 16
#26930 by Nottingham Nick
17 Mar 2004, 17:12
I don't think it matters how sensible the under 16 is. I think it is more to do with having the physical strength to open the doors in the event of an emergency.

I have often wondered what would happen when some of the more senior passengers, who seem to be allocated these seats, were required to open the door of a lurching, ditched 747.

Nick
#26935 by mitchja
17 Mar 2004, 17:46
On a side note regarding emergancy exit row seats - on US airlines if you are sat in an emergancy exit row, you are actaully given a specific set of instructions and briefed seperately by the cabin crews on how to operate the doors in case of emergancy. I was sat on an exit row on an America West 737 last year and was slightly taken-aback when I sat and actually thought about the responsibilty I had when sitting in an emergancy exit row seat.
#26936 by shazam
17 Mar 2004, 18:02
James

We had the same experience on an America West flight last year. Each person had to say "I understand" to the FA at various points throughout the briefing.

I was the same when I thought about the responsibility I had been given.

Shaz
Virgin Atlantic