This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#487 by squibber
18 Mar 2004, 16:43
Could one of our experts please help me to understand what comprises the official "year" one has to accrue tier points? I note that my card was originally issued as soon as I reached the new level (as noted on my FC statement) but that the expiry date on my card is dated two months past that date.
Does that mean that my account is zeroed out at the original date I received my card--or is it on the expiry date listed ON my card?
I am a bit concerned as I am booked UC in the intervening months and had expected to have those points credited towards my next year's accruement.
Thanks,
sq
#27074 by RichardMannion
18 Mar 2004, 22:46
Ah ha - a common question!

The membership year is actually 13 months - say you hit the qualifying 40 points on 15th January 04, your new Gold card should show valid until 03/05, as you have the 13 month period to reach the 30 points to retain Gold.

If I remember an intial check will be done on the 12 month anniversary as most have requalified by then, and then a second check if required (due to the first check failing) on the 13 month anniversary of you originally qualifying.

My friend was in a similiar situation and the agent at VS wasn't too sure, so I confirmed this on his behalf and his card was renewed.

To answer a second common question, the points will not rollover. On the 13-month anniversary the tier point balance will be zeroed.

Thanks,
Richard
#27085 by squibber
19 Mar 2004, 00:28
Thank you Richard,
So--if I understand correctly--even if I have already easily met my requalifying level at the 12 month anniversary, the 10 points I accumulate between then and the 13 month are zeroed out?
sq
#27086 by RichardMannion
19 Mar 2004, 00:40
Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. As when the card is renewed, you have 13 months to make the required 30 TP's.

My card for last year was valid until 10/03 - now I'm not sure if that means valid until end of October just like a credit card. Looking at last year, I think it is the case that the date shown is valid until the start of the indicated month as I took one leg of a flight on 27th Sept and the return on 4th Oct - only the latter flight tier points are on this year current tally. This would make sense as the +2 month add on from the outset.

Very confusing overall I know!

Thanks,
Richard
#27090 by Goldenoldie
19 Mar 2004, 06:24
Richard; thank you for the explanation.

Perhaps FC should state the membership year applicable on the statements or on the website? In this way we who are normally close to renewal levels can plan our travel accordingly.
#27104 by Pete
19 Mar 2004, 12:44
I'm working with FC to write an online tool for VirginFlyer that will allow you to maintain a list of your past & future flights (VS & Partners), and then predict when and if you'll renew or 'upgrade'.

Pix
#27108 by Bazz
19 Mar 2004, 13:30
I think FC should include a section on the statement where they state

"You need to earn xx tier points by dd/mm/yyyy to retain your current membership status."

Then each month you would know exactly where you stand and what you need. The info has to be there, so it shouldn't be that difficult to incorporate it in the statements
#27112 by jaguarpig
19 Mar 2004, 13:49
How does adding up to 30/40 become such hard work.It is not made very clear at all in the current membership guides.Good job this site is here.
#27132 by Goldenoldie
19 Mar 2004, 19:27
Pix

Excellent news. As many of us make up our renewal points with flights from VH or VTS, is it possible to include these as future flights in your predictive tool?
Virgin Atlantic