This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#538 by andrewm
23 Mar 2004, 20:16
Hi All,
our flight from Orlando was cancelled on sunday for 24 hours. Aswell as hotel and food vouchers we have been given a letter with a 50% discount off a virgin published fare for use within 18 months as compensation. Does anybody have any comments , if this is reasonable etc.
rergards
andrew
#27501 by The_Banking_Scot
23 Mar 2004, 20:34
Hi andrew,

Sorry to hear about your delay.

The offer seems reasonable ( I assume by a published fare you could use it to reduce a K PE fare or Z Upper class fare).

I have not been delayed on VS so cannot tell if this is standard compensation, maybe other regulars here can help.

Hope you were put up in an ok hotel.

Regards

TBS
#27503 by jonathan020
23 Mar 2004, 20:46
Sounds like great compensation to me!
#27509 by Nottingham Nick
23 Mar 2004, 21:17
Andrew

Seems reasonable to me. I have heard of pax being given free flights, but that is usually after a longer delay or a more traumatic experience.
I have also heard of 10% vouchers being given.

If the delay was because the aircraft went tech and was therefore out of the airline's control, it seems okay - others may disagree.

Nick
#27527 by vs932
23 Mar 2004, 23:37
Hi Andrew,
As far as i'm aware this is normal for airlines to offer this level (i think VS have actually given you more than IATA regulations state!) At the end of the day your safety was there main concern which is why they had to wait for a replacement aircraft. The 50% discount should be able to be used against ANY class of travel unless it states otherwise. i know my company (virgin Travelstore) accept 50% letters nearly everyday and it's a simple process of getting a price and sending your letter in and your tix are issued! i know it's annoying when a plane goes tech but better to be safe than sorry!

brgds
shaun
#27558 by jaguarpig
24 Mar 2004, 11:06
We were delayed about 6 hours on a flight to St Lucia a couple of years ago we would have got drinks & food vouchers but were in LGW clubhouse with Amex Plat Card so no need.No miles as we were in Y but UC pax did get 25k miles.We got a letter for 10% off a future booking that was used no probs.
#27609 by andrewm
24 Mar 2004, 18:04
Thanks for the replys. It did seem reasonable to me; unfortunately we have already paid for flights at xmas; will just have to go out again.
Better safe than sorry with the tech problem and these things do happen so cannot complain.
regards
andrew
#27652 by PaulS
24 Mar 2004, 21:53
I got same reward for 24 hour delay. When I tried to use it the 50% of published fare was still £300 cheaper than the same seat via Virgin travelstores internet site. I rang customer service and they put free miles onto account which was much better

Paul
#28274 by NY-LON
01 Apr 2004, 13:35
My flight from Boston was cancelled around Thanksgiving 2002. I got a 50% off voucher with no expiration date! I have called Flying Club a few times to confirm that there was in fact no expiration and they agreed. I've been holding on to it for in case I need to take an emergency last minute flight

I was particularly surprised since I was flying on a CO ticket at the time. As for icing on the top, I ended up getting upgraded from Econ to UC the next day!

Talk about service
#28363 by keswick1uk
02 Apr 2004, 18:08
Ahhhhh....that might explain something I found odd.

We flew with Virgin on Monday 22nd/23rd MCO to LG. While in the departure lounge there was a VS128 flying out just before us and I couldn't work out where that service had come from. Is that the one you were on?

Compensation sounds great to me for a 24 hour delay.
#28411 by andrewm
04 Apr 2004, 11:20
Yes, that was us . It was due to fly at 5-30pm but i think we got away about half an hour later. So the 2 flights were almost ontop of each other.
Out of interest i have spoken to virgin and they are willing to have the 18 month period as a time frame to book the seats not take the flights so that helps by extending the actual flying window.
As i mentioned we have already paid for the xmas flights ( have just had a villa built on the gulf) so the extension is welcome as i am running out of holiday at work!!
regards and thank you for your comments again,
andrew
#28417 by KeithAB
04 Apr 2004, 14:36
I was on VS018 yesterday (3rd April) which was delayed for about 5 hours and we got a $15 meal voucher and a 10% off letter.

I have previously been delayed on a VS001 flight for 4 hours and all I got was a meal voucher.

I must say that 50% for a cancelation sounds okay to me.

Keith
#28418 by Pete
04 Apr 2004, 15:40
With the passing of the new European Air Passenger Rights (Regulation 261/2004), airlines will have a pretty clear set of obligations come 17th Feb 2005. These will apply to all flights originating from an EU airport, whether the airline itself is European or not, scheduled or charter.

In summary;

Compensation amounts (cancelations, denied boarding and significant delays):
EUR 250 for all flights under 1500km
EUR 400 for all EU flights over 1500km
EUR 400 for all flights to outside the EU between 1500km and 3500km
EUR 600 for all flights to outside the EU over 3500km

For denied boarding, or cancellations without adequate notice, in addition to the above compensation, you also have the right to a full refund of the cost of your ticket OR a return ticket to the first point of departure OR re-routing to your final destination at a time convenient to you. You're also entitled to meals, drinks, two telephone calls or emails and, if appropriate, a hotel.

The definition of a delay is 2 hours + for flights under 1500km, 3 hours + for the flights between 1500km - 3500km and 4 hours + for flights over 3500km. If the delay is over 5 hours, then you can opt for a full refund OR a return flight to the final point of destination (similar to the situation above if your flight had been cancelled or you had been denied boarding)

If you're worried that airlines may try and hide all this and rely on the ignorance of passengers in order to avoid coughing up, part of this new EU regulation is for airlines to clearly state these procedures at check-in, and hand out written notification to customers who may be delayed or effected by a delay, cancellation or denied boarding.

Airlines who don't comply face 'sanctions' which are described as "effective, proportionate and dissuasive".

The get-out-of-jail free card for airlines is if a cancelation was due to "political instability, meteorological conditions or strikes", and the airline had taken all measures possible to avoid the cancellation. Interestingly, the wording of the regulation doesn't give them this get-out if there is just a delay, but that may change before this regulation comes into full-force. I wonder whether they'll try and use that excuse ("the wrong kind of snow") if it can be shown other carriers could successfully continue operations at the same airport?

Going back to the original post, I guess this wouldn't apply since your flight originated outside the EU (in Orlando). But for KeithAB, that 4 hour delay on VS001 will get you EUR 600, plus your meal voucher after Feb 17th next year - depending on what caused the delay.

Pix
Virgin Atlantic