This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#613 by Decker
29 Mar 2004, 11:47
A common note in these threads is that a lot of us have the same sort of gadgets (headsets, phones, headphones etc etc). Would everyone like to nominate their killer toy (oh - sorry - serious road warrior tool) of the past 12 months with a quick explanation as to why?
#28066 by Pete
29 Mar 2004, 13:01
Favourite road-warrior gadget is a toss up between my Apple Powerbook G4 (great for watching DVDs in widescreen either on the plane or in the hotel room!) and the Sony Ericsson P900, which is about the only phone that I've found to have really useful features beyond dialling a number.

Not in the original question, but my favourite gadget that's tethered to the house (ie, not a 'road warrior' toy) is the TiVo. Sadly now difficult to buy a new one in the UK, but if you find one, snap it up. Changed the way I watch telly totally, and still way better than Sky+

Pix
#28068 by mitchja
29 Mar 2004, 13:16
Think mine would be my iPod
#28070 by Decker
29 Mar 2004, 13:24
Pix - does Tivo do the dialup thing in the UK for schedules? Will look at 900 as not been happy with PSV or T610i. Friend just bought the 17" Gateway Widescreen laptop for his DVD consumption!

Mitch - without wishing to appear to be a heretic - why another device? Why not just store what you want on your laptop? (this presupposes an omnipresent laptop but...)
#28072 by mitchja
29 Mar 2004, 13:30
I used to have a T68i mobile phone (on Virgin Mobile of course) which I bought the MP3 player plug-in attachment - an absolute bargin at £30.

Now that my T68i has died I replaced it with a Samsung E400 (again on Virgin Mobile) so I decided to buy an iPod to listen to my MP3's.

Yes I've tried using the lap-top for listening to MP3's but it wold not fit in my shirt pocket!!!!
#28073 by Bazz
29 Mar 2004, 13:39
P900 for me, just installed TafficMaster on it, the P900 is an amazing product. Will try out the MP3 player bit when I get the 128Mb Memory Stick Duo (and the QC2's :) ).
#28074 by Pete
29 Mar 2004, 13:50
Decker - yup, the TiVo dials a freephone number to get the schedules. The EPG in it is the best one I've every used (and I've tried a few!)

mitchja - you reminded me, yes, the iPod of course! Use it so much that I forget it's a gadget. I used to think like Decker; why not just put all the MP3s on your laptop?, since I have that with me on most (long) trips. Then I got the iPod last August and discovered how useful it really is. Already got my entire collection of CDs on it (some 8 days of non-repeated songs), and still have 12GB spare...

Bazz - I'll have to check out TrafficMaster. A friend of mine bought the Wayfinder GPS for it, and it's *very* impressive, if not a little pricey.

Pix
#28079 by TJ
29 Mar 2004, 14:39
My top 2 would have to be my iPod and PowerBook G4 :)

I don't know what I'd do without them!

Go Apple, go Apple :D
#28081 by Bazz
29 Mar 2004, 14:56
Pix,

What software did you use to transfer your CD's to your iPod?
#28082 by Pete
29 Mar 2004, 15:05
iTunes - so integrated with the iPod that putting your CD collection on the device is very easy.

Pix
#28086 by KeithAB
29 Mar 2004, 16:28
iPod, noise cancelling headphones and eye covers (all together) - closest I can get to not being on a plane while I'm on a plane!

Keith
#28087 by Decker
29 Mar 2004, 16:50
Virgin issue eye covers? What about travel pillows to support head?
#28094 by Nottingham Nick
29 Mar 2004, 17:27
Another vote for the iPod. How did we ver live without it.

Even better when iTunes is available to Uk.

Nick
#28116 by onionz
29 Mar 2004, 20:04
I know this is turning into a bit of an iPod Fans' Meeting, but I feel i should add my praise for the godly white joy-machine. On my last flight i soon tired of the TV - but the iPod kept me going all flight and gently sent me off to sleep..[|)]
#28119 by RichardMannion
29 Mar 2004, 20:49
Err favourite flight gadget? My VS FC Au card - gets me into the Clubhouse where I can play with the gadgets like the IPods' have my haircut by the only 2 people (Sandy/Jenny) that cut my hair, have somethign nice to eat and to chat to the staff!

On the ground - I have one of XP Media Center's was part of the UK beta team and it really works well. Has changed my TV viewing habits (records Airport for me anytime it is on any channel) has all of my CD collection on it, and all of my digital pictures. User friendly, my mum thinks its great and would liek one for her house!

Ipod's - yes they are nice, shame that they don't take wma files and that they are charging a huge premium for them. Anyone noticed how the prices are very static across multiple stores, just like Oakley sunglasses.

Thanks,
Richard
#28122 by Pete
29 Mar 2004, 20:56
You can buy something similar for less, but it's like the Bose headphone thing - once you've tried an iPod, no other MP3 player really compares.

Does anybody really use wma? ;) Only kidding Richard!

Pix
#28128 by RichardMannion
29 Mar 2004, 21:01
quote:Originally posted by pixuk

Does anybody really use wma? ;) Only kidding Richard!

Pix

You wait till you see our new Windows Media stuff thats coming out!
#28129 by Pete
29 Mar 2004, 21:03
Will it run on my iPod? ;)
#28133 by onionz
29 Mar 2004, 22:03
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
Ipod's - yes they are nice, shame that they don't take wma files and that they are charging a huge premium for them.

Why's that a shame? Nothing wrong with the wonderfully open MP3 standard :)

quote:
Anyone noticed how the prices are very static across multiple stores, just like Oakley sunglasses.

Yep that's unfortunately what can happen with sought-after goods such as these. The manufacturer is in the superior position and can demand minimum price levels to be set by retailers.
#28149 by Decker
30 Mar 2004, 10:01
quote:Originally posted by onionz

Yep that's unfortunately what can happen with sought-after goods such as these. The manufacturer is in the superior position and can demand minimum price levels to be set by retailers.

Ermm are they allowed to do that? Isn't that why RRP came to be replaced by SRP?
#28150 by Decker
30 Mar 2004, 10:03
OK help me out here iPod people... why is it so good? The only times I can see me wanting to listen to music I have my laptop with me? Is it just the convenience of having hundreds of CDs to hand? (I'll admit to only having about 20 on my hard drive).
#28151 by mcuth
30 Mar 2004, 10:04
quote:You wait till you see our new Windows Media stuff thats coming out!

Richard

Is it financed by the EU's fine on M$ last week? ;)

Cheers
Virgin Atlantic