For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1170 by Nottingham Nick
10 May 2004, 18:47
I am looking to pick the brains of the regular US visitors.

A constant bugbear of mine is the amount I have to pay for CDW / SLI every time I hire a car in the USA.

I used to have an Amex Plat card that covered CDW and I paid an annual supplement for SLI. Now that I have got rid of the card I am back to paying the extortionate daily rates. Not only that, even though I have hired a car in the US on many occasions without a claim, I have to pay the same as first time hirers.

Has anyone got knowledge of a way round this, either by annual policy or prepayment in the UK?

Any hints gratefully recieved - except getting the Plat Amex card back ;)

Nick
#31335 by David
10 May 2004, 20:01
Hi Nick,

Just got an Amex Plat and would be interested in hearing how the insurance thing works.

Thanks

David
#31342 by Nottingham Nick
10 May 2004, 20:46
Hello David

When I had the card you were automatically covered for CDW/LDW on hire cars in the USA. I then paid an annual supplement and was sent a certificate by Amex insurance to say I was also covered for SLI.

Can't remmeber how much it was, but I know it paid for itself in a two week hire.

Unfortunately I have ditched all my Amex paperwork, so can't help you with the exact details, bit I am sure the if you ring the plat line and select the insurance option, they will be only too happy to sort you out.

Nick
#31352 by JonBuck
10 May 2004, 21:08
Sorry Nick, no experience. I was given their details by a friend reading some Guru's money saving book! Up until now, if using VH, I've ditched the supposedly free Hire Car and the £163 pw insurance and rented all inclusive for between £100 and £150 pw depending on time/location. That might all be about to change with this policy, but I can imagine the reaction at the rental counter - the hastle.
#31356 by Nottingham Nick
10 May 2004, 22:11
quote:Originally posted by JonBuck
but I can imagine the reaction at the rental counter - the hastle.

That is the thing that worries me somewhat. We are okay with prepaid insurances at MIA, BOS, MCO, JFK et al but I remember a few years ago turning up at Kansas City at 2am on a much delayed America West flight armed with my full pre paid Holiday Autos voucher, to be told be the Manager of Dollar that I had been 'scammed' and Dollar didn't accept these vouchers.

I had to pay again for the rental and had all sorts of bother claiming the money back from Holiday Autos.

I can imagine the same here - but I will have a look at it and may give it a go - thanks for the info.

Nick
#31373 by bluefish
10 May 2004, 23:33
Nick
I have just had a very nice surprise on this, I have just renewed ny American Express Travel Insurance, I have the premium world wide. But as I was bored on a recnt flight I read the policy document, and guess what I am covered for all suplimentary insurance including the payment of any imposed excess.

In the policy document it even says " You may find the agent tries to intimidate you into taking thier insurance, you do not need to take it, should you have any difficulties, cal us on..... and we will speak to tha agent and ensue they understand the coverage"
Fari play Amex

God knows how much I haev wasted!!

Might be worth checking you insurance?
#31388 by Decker
11 May 2004, 08:09
I believe that this was dropped as a platinum benefit and moved to centurion 'cos when I was platinum I used to pay extra for the Centurion insurance to get this particular perk. The £99 link looks good though!
Virgin Atlantic