For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#940966 by ColOrd
19 Jan 2018, 21:32
Hi guys,

So, I have finally done it after 4 fabulous long haul trips in Upper Class with Virgin, the only airline I have flown long haul with, I have decided to give BA a try, following the current sale, I managed to blag a fare to Toronto in First in both directions for £1800, which I thought was fantastic!

Really excited for trying the Concorde room at Terminal 5, so should be good fun!
#940967 by TimCrawley
19 Jan 2018, 22:26
Nice one, not even an ex-Dub then - should hopefully make Christmas 2018 a bit special.

I think Marshy posted some reviews back in November of her first First to Boston with photos? Worth a quick V-Flyer forum search anyway to whet the appetite on the lounge between now & then.

Enjoy the anticipation as much as the event :-)
#940971 by marshy11
20 Jan 2018, 09:06
Ooh how wonderful! I take it you've selected your seats already....

Make sure you have a note in your diary to ring (don't email) the You First helpline to book your spa treatment. They tell you it's T-28 but I called T-29 and we got our pick of the treatment times.

Don't forget you can also pre book your outward meal https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... |L2||||||| even if you don't want to pre book you can see the menu (they also post it on FT).

The First Wing is impressive, but it's so quick you may not even realise you've gone through security!! Then walk through Galleries into CCR.

CCR - I did enjoy it, it's no clubhouse, much more "BA". The food wasn't great but the champagne was delicious. It wasn't very busy when we were there so we did the terrace and then had a few seat hopping moments inside to try all the furniture out. I found it comfy and the staff were excellent.

If I think of anything else I will update here. But savour the anticipation. You will LOVE the seat.
Last edited by marshy11 on 20 Jan 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
#940973 by marshy11
20 Jan 2018, 09:46
A few more photos from the CCR.

Just to add and I'm sure you already know, over on FT there is a thread dedicated to the CCR menu (which changes slightly every month) and various threads about getting the "most" from First etc. One tip we loved was using the underground walkway rather than the transit. Apart from being the ONLY people down there (weirdly spooky) it was miles quicker for our transiting times.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... ngers.html

I said the food wasn't great but I meant the lounge menu food. The breakfast served on the terrace was delicious. I had the full English and Mr M had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. But the sliders we had in the bar were disgusting.

Coffee on the terrace before breakfast arrived (forgot the photos of breakfast because I was starving!)

Lounge menu

There is seating to suit all sorts - groups, singles, pairs, private...

Last edited by marshy11 on 20 Jan 2018, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
#940974 by hiljil
20 Jan 2018, 09:51
Really pleased and excited for you ! Have a fantastic trip and- as others have said - relish the build up . It will fly by :-D
#940976 by tontybear
20 Jan 2018, 10:46
marshy11 wrote:I said the food wasn't great but I meant the lounge menu food. The breakfast served on the terrace was delicious. I had the full English and Mr M had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. But the sliders we had in the bar were disgusting.

It's the same (though slightly cut down) menu in the lounge as it is in the formal dining area - and you can ask for the full dining menu even when sat in the lounge.

I did my first first a couple of weeks ago (TRs to follow honest!).

The First Wing is unhurried (I noticed it's not carpeted like it is at LGW!) so it's a little clinical but the security is great as there is more room for people to get ready and sort themselves again afterwards (though some people do insist on doing that at the belts rather than at the table area)

I didn't pre book a treatment but had no issue with doing it on the day - though I did arrive at 8 am and didn't want / need an appointment until around 4 (I had the small matter of flying up and down to Inverness first!) though she did offer me one at 9am!

The scrambled eggs and salmon were delicious for breakfast along with a glass of rose champers and a latte.

On my return from INV I started with the cheese board as a snack.

I also had a shower and then after my facial I went to to the formal dining area and had a the mutton carpacio and criminalised walnut (in the singular) and the bream. I didn't have any dessert as I needed to save room for the food on board! (the menu may have changed since the 2nd January)

On board if they don't offer you the pyjamas then just ask. They are cotton and miles better than the VS ninja suits.

Remember on board it's also dine on demand so you can just tell the crew when you want to eat - though get them to reserve your main course choice.

One issue with the CCR is there are very few plugs though they do have some fancy phone charger things they will lend you.

IIRC Sealink wrote a detailed TR on his FF so have a look at that though I can't remember the route he was on.

Enjoy
#940978 by Bretty
20 Jan 2018, 11:39
Excellent news and a good price too. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. It is different to VS and the Clubhouse and at first I wasn’t sure I liked it. But now with hindsight I realise I did, it was just different.

We are due to take our second F in May when we return to YVR using a 2-4-1 to join our Alaskan Cruise with Holland America. The first time we flew F with BA the new Wing was still under construction so I’m looking forward to seeing it in all it’s glory now. Oh heck, I just realised we can’t as our YVR flight is from T3! In which case we’ll be using either the Cathay Pacific or Quantas lounge, or possibly both lol. On the positive side I do get to sit in the pointy end of an A380; an aircraft I’ve never even seen up close let alone flown on.

Have a great time ColOrd.
#940981 by marshy11
20 Jan 2018, 13:22
Bretty wrote:Oh heck, I just realised we can’t as our YVR flight is from T3! In which case we’ll be using either the Cathay Pacific or Quantas lounge, or possibly both lol.

Cathay Pacific has the most amazing food. Nothing like a bowl of noodles and some dim sum for breakfast!
#940991 by ColOrd
20 Jan 2018, 15:55
Thank you all, I too was surprised at such a good fare without it being Ex-Eu!

Marshy11 I did actually read your trip reports, as well as Bretty's and Sealinks after booking. I'm quite excited about Canada too, a new country to tick off and I now have the bug of being away for Christmas! So much easier.
#941019 by Bretty
21 Jan 2018, 01:35
marshy11 wrote:
Bretty wrote:Oh heck, I just realised we can’t as our YVR flight is from T3! In which case we’ll be using either the Cathay Pacific or Quantas lounge, or possibly both lol.

Cathay Pacific has the most amazing food. Nothing like a bowl of noodles and some dim sum for breakfast!

Agreed. We used the Cathay business lounge in T3 at Christmas because I’d read that the BA lounge there is terrible. We enjoyed it, very quiet when we were in, excellent food and service. Noodles and dim sum and also full Xmas dinner. Raffles on HfP had reviewed the Quantas lounge which had only opened a few weeks earlier but we didn’t have time to try both.
#941023 by ColOrd
21 Jan 2018, 11:04
I have to be honest I do want to do a short haul cheap-ish J trip on BA from Terminal 3 just to sample the delights of the CX and QF lounges!
#941055 by Bretty
21 Jan 2018, 23:49
ColOrd wrote:I have to be honest I do want to do a short haul cheap-ish J trip on BA from Terminal 3 just to sample the delights of the CX and QF lounges!

Like many of us ColOrd, you’ve become an addict looking for your next fix, lol.
#941056 by ColOrd
21 Jan 2018, 23:58
100%, I remember back in 2014 booking Upper Class for the first time and thinking it would be my one and only foray into turning left!

I have 9 Flights booked for this year 1 in PE, 2 in First and 6 in J!
#941098 by Bretty
22 Jan 2018, 23:00
ColOrd wrote:100%, I remember back in 2014 booking Upper Class for the first time and thinking it would be my one and only foray into turning left!

I have 9 Flights booked for this year 1 in PE, 2 in First and 6 in J!

Oh hunty you take more holidays than the Queen! Have fun... ;-)
#944130 by ColOrd
04 Jun 2018, 21:23
Well this has now all gone a bit sour.

I had three flights on my booking.
NCL - LHR J
LHR - YYZ F
YYZ - LHR F

I live in Peterborough so my plan was go up home see my dad for a few days before Christmas, fly straight to LHR, spend the night in a hotel and then fly out the next day. It was all looking so well.

Over the space of the last week I have had no less than 6 separate schedule changes on this itinerary.

NCL-LHR cancelled so moved to an earlier flight loosing a day with my family.
TATL sectors downgraded to J but still selling F.
TATL sectors moved by about 6 hours but upgraded back to F
Offered £500 to accept downgrade...no refund.
Forcibly downgraded back to J now and told no F at all on YYZ.
Refused to reroute via JFK/ORD.
Then relented and allowed that as an option.
Offered 140k Avios for each flight affected.

Feeling dejected and messed around went for a full refund and booked myself to go back to San Fran in Upper for Christmas. A steal at £1714 and convinced me that there's only one airline for me for Long Haul!
#944133 by tontybear
04 Jun 2018, 23:30
that 140k avios for the cancelled F from Toronto due to BA changing the plane is their standard offer. There is a thread about it on flyer talk. Seems pretty generous to me but them giving you the runaround like that is definitly not good.

I was tempted by the SFO offer from VS but the hotel prices were astronomical!
#944134 by ColOrd
05 Jun 2018, 05:55
What hotel were you looking at? I'm a Hilton fanboy so gone with what I know and I've got the Parc55 for a snip under £1000 for 6 nights?
Virgin Atlantic