For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#941045 by Vegascrazy
21 Jan 2018, 19:11
I'm sure someone here will have the answer to this....

I have my Global Entry Interview here in the UK in March. My ESTA has expired and I don't need to travel to USA until later in the year. Do I need to renew my ESTA for my interview?

Many thanks
James
#941046 by mitchja
21 Jan 2018, 19:32
Edit -Sorry, I'm not 100% sure if my previous answer was correct as per the Global Entry for citizens of the UK page does state the following:

Travel Requirements:

All UK Global Entry members must have a valid passport and Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s Class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Though you not travelling to the US for the interview, so it's not 100% clear?

There is no where within the Global Entry system to either enter or update ESTA details. There's only sections you can update are your passport and driving licence details if and when they both expire.

In the ESTA application process, it does ask you for your KTN (Known Traveller Number) which is also your Global Entry membership number if you have one but other than that I believe they are separate.

I believe having Global Entry does expedite an ESTA application somewhat though.
#941696 by McCoy
18 Feb 2018, 11:00
IME, No, you don't, Vegascrazy.

When I had my GE interview in London a year ago, I was 'between' ESTAs, as I was not travelling to the US until later in the year.
It didn't impact upon my GE application in any way.

I applied for an ESTA later on in the year..
And successfully entered the US at ATL using a GE booth, without any problems.
#941707 by Silver Fox
18 Feb 2018, 22:04
For the sake of not coming a cropper at the interview, the money for the ESTA will be money well spent, so if you are in any doubt whatsoever just get one. It's only £13 or so and in the scheme of things it is an investment.
Virgin Atlantic