For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#941092 by travelmad51
22 Jan 2018, 19:16
Not sure if anyone on here can help. We are looking to book the above for a wedding in November this year. I have a couple of questions if anyone knows the answers?

We are being quoted around £2K per seat return, Manchester - Phuket in business, Is this a good price?

Do I go with Emirates on the A380 with the onboard lounge etc, or Qatar with their new Q suite? They both look like a good hard and soft product.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cath
#941112 by Daffodil
23 Jan 2018, 14:45
We've travelled business class a few times with Qatar and had an excellent experience every time, although before they introduced their Q suite.
The service from cabin crew was very attentive, food very good and the business class lounge for the flight change in Doha is fantastic.
Sorry I haven't flown business class with Emirates so I can't comment on them but would highly recommend Qatar.
#941114 by marshy11
23 Jan 2018, 15:29
I don't know about prices but you may find some pointers for price and quality on Head For Points. Not wishing to send you away from here but it may have more info.
#941117 by mitchja
23 Jan 2018, 17:20
I've done business class with Qatar to the Maldives and back (via Doha) and TBH is was just 'meh'. Grated it was a good few years ago now and was the very old VS J2000 type not fully flat but angled seat/bed back then though which I believe is gone now, however, the crew where nothing special either and neither was the lounge at Doha.

I've never been in a hurry to fly Qatar again since then.
#941124 by Dylan
23 Jan 2018, 20:17
Have been a site stalker for a long time but your post is very topical for us so thought I'd give my take on it. We have just booked to go to Phuket via Manchester late-ish November this year. Flew Emirates bis last year + its worth bearing in mind that whilst Man - Dub is an A380, I'm fairly sure that Dub - Phu flights are all 777-300. Nothing wrong in that but worth bearing in mind. Believe me, my wife who always does the hard work has checked almost every permutation currently available and you've done well to somehow get a flight for 2000.00 - best we could get a couple of days ago with Emirates ( who are our airline of choice as we go to Dubai 2/3 times a year) is 2400.00. Qatar I can't comment on. We've booked to go this year with Finnair via Helsinki for a number of reasons;
Cons - Man - Helsinki is not true business class but good enough for a 3 hour journey
Cheapest fare requires o/night in Helsinki return ( treat it as part of holiday although paying slightly more does ensure same day return flight)
Pros - Flight timings are good
The longer flight to / from Hel - Phu is on a fairly new A350. Check it out. Previously Finnair bis was a bit of a joke but the aircraft looks great ( true lie flats etc....and bear in mind
they are both o/night flights) so worth a try
Price - After factoring in every cost ( no limo with Finnair / maybe slightly better lounge in Dubai than Helsinki) we reckon the net saving using Finnair is 1200. Check out their
site and you will see bis returns are 1496.00 which will pay for a few romantic meals on the beach for your honeymoon.

Your decision obviously and as I said we've never had any issues with Emirates but worth a look imo.

Regards

Geoff
#941125 by pjh
23 Jan 2018, 20:28
Can't comment on Qatar, but with regards to Emirates;

- on their A380's the J class product is great. The bar is an excellent space, and the food and drink offerings excellent

- check, however, whether all legs are / will be on an A380. Looking at flightradar the DXB-HKT legs are on a B777, and the hard product is not as good. 2-3-2 seating in J, and no bar

- Service can be a little "distant", which I put down to a multi national crew serving a multi national audience; they have to be careful to observe all cultural proprieties

- the business lounge at Dubai can be a zoo, but had good amenities for showering and changing if your connection allows it
#941134 by travelmad51
23 Jan 2018, 23:23
Thanks for all your help guys, I think we are going to go for Emirates, I have never flown on the A380 before and I like the look of the bar/lounge area, we will probably sleep on the 777 anyway so not too much of an issue not having a bar.

Thanks for all your help, I will get round to doing a trip report soon for our recent upper return to Miami. The crew and flights were amazing both ways,and we managed to grab two G's which was a bonus!!

Thanks again,

Cath
#941150 by Sealink
24 Jan 2018, 14:15
With QR, you can credit BA Executive Club with Avios and TP which you may find more useful in the coming year.

You can actually do the same with EK if you book using QF flight numbers.

Haven't flown QR, I thought Emirates was amazing although didnt particularly rate their food.
Virgin Atlantic