For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#946748 by gilly
27 Oct 2018, 22:40
We are going to Mauritius on holiday next March and have pushed the boat out and booked First with Emirates - 380 for all 4 legs. We have never flown F before so I am beyond excited.

Is there anything I should do? Not do? Look out for? These are not long flights obviously but I want to make the most of every minute.
#946749 by hazban
28 Oct 2018, 15:20
All I can say is that you will love it. Because I have been travelling Eastwards this year I have flown 16 legs in EK First in the last twelve months and have been converted (and made it to Platinum)!
Some criticise all the "bling" but I have not found it off-putting, nor have any of the cabin crew been offhand, on the contrary I have always received friendly and attentive service. I notice that because they come from dozens of different countries some can be rather more formal, but most take the lead from the way you react with them.
The privacy of the suite, showering on board, really good pj's, excellent wine and premium spirits to go with an extensive menu what's not too like. After your shower remember to call in the bar at the back of business class and compare it with the benches on VS, there is also a serve yourself bar at the front of First. Seat wise 1A/K have one less window and are slightly smaller because of the shape of the upper deck, I travel alone these days so have no experience of the centre seats but they seem well suited to couples.

Limo service and a brilliant First lounge at Dubai, what more can I add? Have a great time, there are some good reports on YouTube to wet your appetite!
I'm off to Dubai and Hong Kong again in two weeks and can't wait.
#946751 by DragonLady
28 Oct 2018, 17:32
Just to echo what hazban has said I love EK F too. Bling is fine for me and I’ve found the crew fabulous (maybe I’m just getting old but I don’t mind a bit more formality these days ).The centre seats of the 380are great for a couple but we prefer to sit in tandem . Time will fly but have a shower ( just because you can :) )- eat , drink and be ( very ) merry :) .
DL
#946752 by gilly
28 Oct 2018, 17:49
We normally fly Business so this is a big treat, but yes, much as we like each other, we prefer to sit in tandem each with a window, except when it means climbing over one another, then we opt for the centre so we each have an aisle.

Bling and some formality are both fine with me, though I am always friendly and receptive to a chat , but then I am also getting older - have got there in fact!

Thanks.
#946825 by Sealink
03 Nov 2018, 23:44
Don't expect EK food to be amazing, I was very disappointed with main course and dessert in F. The mezze starter was good however, as were the constant little touches from the crew, like a little fruit salad after my shower, the two bathroom attendants always keeping the place immaculate. The water feature outside the shower (When the First Class "bar" is closed)

The Business Class bar is head and shoulders above the area for First Class passengers, and feels very much like a yacht. That said, the bar at the First Class end (self service) has some very premium drinks including 35 year old Port.
#946936 by hazban
08 Nov 2018, 22:46
Just to comment on Sealink.
I have always found the food to be good to very good, there is a great choice and you dine on demand so have the appetisers, rest, then something else when you are ready. Check out your menu in advance via the app!
Never been refused my choice (so far) and have often "chopped and changed" the order of items without complaint from the crew. At least not to my face :cool:
Bring home your pajamas, they are really comfortable, and sell on the Emirates shop for about £20 !

I know you will have a good time.
#947078 by hazban
19 Nov 2018, 09:28
Presently in the Emirates Lounge in Hong Kong and as usual everything has been seamless.
Picked up by the limo on time, after an earlier call confirming the time, no queue at check-in, baggage being tracked by the app on my phone and updates coming trough as well. This is the service you will get, the only downside is sharing the lounge with lowly business class passengers! (Before anyone jumps down my throat, that was meant in jest)
I would never criticise Virgin, except West Coast when I can't get a seat, but I am sure you will enjoy the Emirates experience.
#947091 by oldboy
20 Nov 2018, 10:41
Have a great trip Gill, we are planning to take our first Emirates BC trip in 2019.
#947188 by gilly
24 Nov 2018, 14:31
oldboy wrote:Have a great trip Gill, we are planning to take our first Emirates BC trip in 2019.

Oh I will Ian. I’m beyond excited. And the same to you and your wife x
#947189 by woralla
24 Nov 2018, 15:10
I flew Emirates First back in March. It was a really good experience.

At one point I went to the bar at the back of business class and asked for a glass of champagne. When the crew member discovered I was from first, they sent for the Dom Perignon from the front and put it pride of place in the ice bucket. They even sent back a first class champagne flute. Each time the crew member at the bar switched over, they made a point of handing on the information that I was the first class passenger and the DP was only for me!

I did make a little video of the experience which is over on YouTube.
#947238 by gilly
27 Nov 2018, 21:03
Thank you. I have saved your video to watch regularly between now and March. I am even more excited now, if that’s possible.
#947241 by ColOrd
27 Nov 2018, 21:38
Gilly I am glad to hear you will be watching that over and over....I still despite having done 12 or so flights in Upper cannot help but watch the Upper Class VS Cabin Video and tingle with excitement in anticipation every time I do!
#947243 by gilly
27 Nov 2018, 22:51
I guess we’re all child like really. I still can’t believe I am lucky enough to now travel in comfort, I could never have hoped for such things when I was young.
#947251 by joeyc
28 Nov 2018, 10:14
I've just come off EK F from Oz, it is a fantastic product and I have been fortunate to fly it a fair few times.

Four legs this last route (DUB - DXB on B777, DXB - SYD on A380 and the same on the return) My list...
- Make sure to book the shower (the crew will come around to offer to book you a slot before takeoff usually),
- Enjoy the entire food menu (don't be afraid to press that call bell to order) - it is large and highly customisable,
- Visit the bar at the back of J and have a natter with the crew - they rotate quite often and it is fascinating hearing their stories. I think EK have one of the most proudly diverse crew in the skies. When visiting the bar, do let the first cabin crew know so they can sneak the F liquor to you if you are imbibing :-P
- The fresh press coffee is brilliant and served in a little cafetière.
- The wine list is also quite lengthy, if you are struggling for choice, ask for a tasting.
- Don't forget to take the writing kit with you - the new ones are so handy and I wish I could have appropriated more than 6 :-D

Sealink wrote:Don't expect EK food to be amazing, I was very disappointed with main course and dessert in F.

I am sorry to say that I cannot disagree with this more, the food on all of my flights has been amazing. If something doesn't take your fancy, there is plenty on the menus to play around with.... Roasted salmon fillet with mashed potato and sautéed vegetables as opposed to rice.. no problem :cool:

I am sure that you are going to love the whole experience gilly and I look forward to those TRs
#947253 by gumshoe
28 Nov 2018, 11:26
I’m with Sealink I’m afraid. Dried out lamb main course, and no limes loaded so the advertised Mojito was off. Plus got seat shifted at the gate because of a light load.

Look beyond the bling and it’s like any other airline - great when everything works but very underwhelming when it doesn’t.
#947283 by gilly
30 Nov 2018, 08:48
I am loving all your comments, both positive and negative, but regarding the meals: I am a non fish eating veggie, so would you recommend I order a special meal, or just hope I can obtain the usually sole veggie dish on the menu? The thing is I love a mezze so would definitely want that and possibly only that as I rarely eat a main course onboard.

Joeyc I am so glad you mentioned the writing kit, so it is ok to take these?
#947465 by joeyc
10 Dec 2018, 22:48
gilly wrote:I am loving all your comments, both positive and negative, but regarding the meals: I am a non fish eating veggie, so would you recommend I order a special meal, or just hope I can obtain the usually sole veggie dish on the menu? The thing is I love a mezze so would definitely want that and possibly only that as I rarely eat a main course onboard.

Joeyc I am so glad you mentioned the writing kit, so it is ok to take these?

Sorry I haven't had the chance to reply sooner gilly.

Yep, perfectly fine to appropriate the writing kits. EK even give you a very helpful shopping bag on the A380s to fill with all manner of goodies from the plane and lounge :-P

Re. the food, these were a couple of my menus to give you an idea of the offerings..
DXB-SYD
SYD-DXB

Think that you'd have been able to find some things to your liking? Again, you can mix and match pretty much anything from the menus.
Virgin Atlantic