Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239301 by BlackCat
06 Dec 2005, 01:04
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Id upgraded myself from an S fare for 20,000 miles outbound (the client was willing to pay for J return) and had booked an early morning cab to give me plenty of time in the lounge. Monday morning on the Heathrow spur is probably not the best way to start any journey, but the Terminal 3 area was not as crowded as usual, the majority of cars peeling away up the ramp to Terminal 1. In fact, T3 was pretty quiet as I made my way left into zone A and the Virgin check in area. After a brief security check (nope, I still dont know why they bother) I found myself behind only a single person at the Upper Class check in.

Following the usual mysterious tapping it was my turn to check in, or at least drop my bag - given that I had checked in the night before. The check in agent was rather distracted, so much so that he asked me if I was travelling to New York (when the e-ticket print out was right in front of him), forgot to give me the green and white forms that are the staple of any US traveller, and then asked me if I had a Gold card so I could gain entry into the lounge when hed just printed my J boarding card.

Anyway, after a brief diversion via the American Express currency desk to stock up on US dollars I wandered through Fast Track security which was actually fast this time. Not only that, but the outbound passport check seems to have been removed. I managed to bypass the duty free shop and it was mere moments before I was stomping up the stairs to the lounge.

At 7:15 the lounge was almost empty, with attentive service, a decent WiFi connection and plenty of room to stretch out. Having given my breakfast order it was time to catch up on the days Guardian before tucking into my salmon and cream cheese bagel. Unfortunately the bagel was of the sesame seed, rather than onion, variety, and had been toasted to a granite-like consistency. Still, the orange juice was fresh, the coffee hot, and the Berliner-format Guardian meant that my baboon-like arms werent clunking my neighbours in the head as I turned each page.

After breakfast things began to get busy, so I moved down the steps to the lower level and plugged my laptop into the juice. Unfortunately a busy lounge seems to be characterised by a diminution in WiFi signal quality and soon my laptop was struggling. Being a seasoned Clubhouse devotee I had booked a haircut at 9:30, and as the time came around I toddled over to the desk and sorted myself out with a reasonable chop to the barnet. Not the best haircut Ive ever had, but enough to stave off the hippy comments from my staff.

By the time Id finished in the salon the lounge was more or less completely full - we really do need the extension sorted out pronto. I took a seat at the bar and attempted to fire up the laptop once more, but the reception was now so poor that it was pretty much unusable.

I left the lounge a few minutes before the flight was called, for a fairly lengthy walk down to gate 34. My timing was just right, with the phalanx of Securicor staff just about to open up as I arrived. A perfunctory passport check and I was the third person on the plane, turning left to seat 11A which is my favourite on the 346 for day flights.

The flight wasnt full: Upper Class had three or four empty seats and there were only 70 in Economy. Arriving at my suite, Carlos and menu were waiting on the ottoman, the lunch menu being the new lamb suet / paella / vegetarian combo with the new Berry Bros and Rudd wine list. For once I actually relished the champagne on boarding: the Laurent Perrier is a huge improvement on the nasty Jacquart. Then time to sit back and enjoy the ride, rotating at about 12:15, so only a few minutes late despite the usual crush of heavy jets on the runway.

I know Ive said it before, but the A346 is a distinctly unlovely plane: you just cant imagine it inspiring affection in the same way that a Jumbo does. The UCS is also narrower and shorter, accentuating the battery chicken feel. Still, the suite wasnt in too bad nick and happily the tray table and cocktail table worked fine.

However, V-Port seemed to be a tad stubborn, with the FSM having to reboot it immediately after the system froze as it started up. And then again, and again, with each cycle requiring that seat power (not just EmPower but the electrical adjustment of the seats themselves) being turned off for 10 minutes each time. Eventually she gave up, with much apologies over the PA. They did handle this issue as well as could be expected, with the FSM making a point of coming round to FA Au card holders to apologise personally - the going rate is apparently 10,000 Flying Club miles for non-functioning IFE. They did manage to get a single channel running in the V-Port fallback mode, but hardly much consolation, particularly to those in the back of the bus who must surely have been reduced to staring at the heads of the row in front for 8 hours.

Lunch was served an hour or so into the flight. I chose the chicken salad and the paella. Both werent exactly nasty, but they werent that tasty either, and both were horribly dry. I started on the White Burgundy but moved quickly to the Shiraz which does seem to be the only drinkable wine on the menu. I finished with cheese. Again the desiccated nature of VS catering seemed to be in evidence - just how exactly is it possible to serve a dry Camembert?

I got on with work for the rest of the flight, with the IFBT calling a stream of people who werent me for their treatments. I was clearly at the back of the queue having had that haircut earlier, but joy of joys an hour before landing she got to me for the hand zone massage which was excellent.

The seatbelt sign went on just as my massage finished, with little to see outside the plane as we descended slowly into a snowy Dulles. Ive not been to Washington for many years, so it was interesting to see that they still use the mobile lounges to take arriving passengers to the main terminal - there is apparently a walkway to concourse B where the Virgin gate is, but this is only for departures. Of course, doing the mobile lounge thing meant that the so-called priority disembarkation is not really of use: you get off the plane first but the mobile lounge fills up with everyone else soon after.

Class consciousness aside, the immigration process was smooth and relatively easy, incurring only ten minutes or so delay. Baggage collection was another matter, with a whole group of us waiting patiently beneath the monitors for some hint of where the bags would arrive. The good news was that when they did, Upper Class bags were out first and it was only a short step to the taxi rank to crawl into the city.

Not a bad flight, but the lack of IFE was a disappointment. No DVD players were offered either, which did seem strange. The food is also still of pretty poor quality compared with some of the competition, but the service, whilst not sparkling, was still pretty good.

BC
#321893 by JAT74L
06 Dec 2005, 01:18
Good to read a BC TR for the first time in a while. Perhaps not as lyrical as those in the past but most enjoyable all the same. You say 11A is your fav day seat on the A346 - what's your night choice?

Regards

John
#321894 by mike-smashing
06 Dec 2005, 01:19
One of my friends was flying out from LHR on VS last week, and apparently, the CH kitchen set off the fire alarms because of burning toast. It's too bad you had a rotten bagel. The one I had back in October was simply wonderful, and very generously filled.

You had the same problem with the T-Mobile hotspot as I did. As the lounge fills up, even if there aren't that many clients attached, the access point(s) have a hard time dealing with the tightly packed meat and water (i.e. people), which does a really good job of soaking the signal up.

I phoned T-Mobile to complain about the poor connectivity, and to their credit, they did issue me with a complimentary voucher.

Of course, that doesn't fix the problem...

Next time I'm in the CH, I'll fire up Netstumbler and do an impromptu wireless survey. [;)]

Networking somewhere like an airport up is probably something of a challenge, but it should be doable... I found the (free) wireless at LAS very stable, fast, and reliable.

Mike
#321895 by BlackCat
06 Dec 2005, 01:20
Originally posted by JAT74L
You say 11A is your fav day seat on the A346 - what's your night choice?

3K. See the report I'll file after my flight back tomorrow. [:)]

BC
#321920 by Mavrick
06 Dec 2005, 09:09
Nice T.R.[y] B.Cat enjoy snowy Washington mate.[:D]
#321932 by iforres1
06 Dec 2005, 10:32
Hi BC,

Enjoyable TR, although I thought the general consensus was that the food was starting to get better, obviously not on this flight. No IFE so 6 hrs of wine sampling[:D]

Iain
#321958 by ChuckC
06 Dec 2005, 13:52
Hi BC,
You picked a good time to be in Washington; the snow keeps some of the testy bureaucrats at home.

Nice to see a TR from you.

Best,
Chuck-
#321964 by martin777
06 Dec 2005, 14:58
I'm sure I will have a ball but this along with previous TR's doesn't exactly fill me full of excitement about my forthcoming trip in UCS[:?]
#321975 by JO5H777
06 Dec 2005, 16:51
thanks for TR looking forward to reading more, keep them coming!
#321995 by Airbus340
06 Dec 2005, 19:16
Nice TR!
Being on a 346 recently do you know what seats 9-12A are like on a night flight?
#322021 by buns
06 Dec 2005, 21:29
BC

Thanks for the, as always, enlightening TR[y][y]

Having prevously seen the revised UC menu, it did not exactly inspire me and your experience seems to confirm my fears[:?][:?] One can but hope that the LGW flights have a slightly different menu.

Looks like the only option for those who prefer white wine will be to stay on the LP (for as long as it lasts[;)])

I look forward to your return TR

Buns
#322059 by BlackCat
06 Dec 2005, 23:55
Originally posted by Airbus340
Nice TR!
Being on a 346 recently do you know what seats 9-12A are like on a night flight?

Had 11A on the VS10 last year but the flight had only 6 people in UC so it was somewhat quiet. I you want food overnight then an A seat in the non-snooze zone is the way to go, if you want sleep then a K sleep at the front is the best approach. Anyway, I'm on my 5th beer in the lounge and it's almost time to board. Standby for a TR tomorrow.

BC
#322060 by BlackCat
06 Dec 2005, 23:56
Originally posted by martin777
I'm sure I will have a ball but this along with previous TR's doesn't exactly fill me full of excitement about my forthcoming trip in UCS[:?]

It will be great. My post count and experience over the past 10 years with VS should tell you I have very high standards. And I'm a miserable so-and-so too. [:)]

BC
#322061 by BlackCat
06 Dec 2005, 23:58
By the way, I'm back here at the end of Jan so I'll be able to compare like with like in a short space of time. This evening I'm flying back with the same crew (they have 24 hours of stopover) that flew me out here. Who said business travel was glamorous!

BTW, security at Dulles was an absolute breeze this evening: every security lane open and despite the shoe-carnival I got to the lounge in plenty of time to stuff my face. More in my next TR.

BC
#322066 by Richard28
07 Dec 2005, 00:20
Originally posted by BlackCat
By the way, I'm back here at the end of Jan so I'll be able to compare like with like in a short space of time. This evening I'm flying back with the same crew (they have 24 hours of stopover) that flew me out here. Who said business travel was glamorous!

BTW, security at Dulles was an absolute breeze this evening: every security lane open and despite the shoe-carnival I got to the lounge in plenty of time to stuff my face. More in my next TR.

BC

Have a great flight!
#322103 by original bob
07 Dec 2005, 13:03
Airbus340 wrote:

No problem at all, you get the 'wall' in front so not overlooked and not close enough to the bar to be disturbed by the lights or potential noise.

I`ve picked 9A again for my flight back from LAX.

[:)]
Virgin Atlantic