This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963090 by David
06 Jan 2024, 14:19
Lost track of all the recent (and not so recent) changes so looking for the latest knowledge on the following

Looking to book Heathrow to Atlanta upper on VS with points and then connect onto MCO with Delta probably as a cash fare in economy as the 1st class fare for 45 mins is just silly.

Would we be able to book bags straight through to MCO (I understand they would need to be picked up at ATL and put on the connecting conveyor if this is still possible) and would the upper allowance be applicable or would it be the standard economy baggage allowance and again in reverse can I still check in bags through to Heathrow in Orlando via Atlanta.

The tickets would be booked separately. I know this was possible in the past or we’ve maybe just had nice check in agents but is it still possible now ?

Many thanks

David
#963091 by mitchja
06 Jan 2024, 14:36
I've never been able to do this with separate bookings. Certainly at MAN, VS wont thru-check luggage even to DL when on separate bookings. VS wouldn't do this last week even after I asked them at the Upper Class check-in. DL at FLL also wouldn't do it the other way either as they said they cant access VS bookings when they are booked separately.

Outbound, it's almost as easy though as once you do arrive at ATL and after collecting your luggage, DL have check-in desks in the transfer area opposite the connecting flight bag drop belt so they will check you in and print bags tags for you there. You then just drop your luggage at the same bag drop belt and go through the same transfer security.

Coming home / going the other way is a little more complicated as you will need to collect you bags at ATL at the domestic baggage collection area which is accessed using the plane train then go outside and get on the free International transfer bus (blue mini-busses). It takes around 10-15mins depending on traffic and that drops you at the International concourse check-in area.

When on separate bookings, each airline's standard baggage allowance policy based on the cabin you fly in will apply.
#963097 by woralla
07 Jan 2024, 09:34
I’ve managed to get my bags checked through from a DL flight going on to a VS flight on a separate booking on number of times. This has mainly been at LAS connecting through LAX, but elsewhere too. I don’t know if this is relevant, but as AU, I’ve always used Sky Priority check-in desks, so maybe the staff there are more amenable?. The top tip is that the DL check-in agent needs to enter the connecting flight number into their system as a four digit code, so VS4 needs to be entered as VS0004.
#963099 by David
07 Jan 2024, 19:50
Thanks for replies. I’m sure the last time I got checked through, it was the agent that asked for the final destination which actually was Edinburgh via Heathrow and she then asked who I was flying ATL to LHR with and booked it through with no issues.

Probably like phone calls - you get a good agent and most things are possible.

Thanks again

David

(Oh and 5 stars for your videos woralla- love watching them between my own flights)