A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#102391 by RichardMannion
28 Feb 2006, 21:19
Bit of forward planning perhaps, but is anyone else interested in going for lunch here:

http://www.conran-restaurants.co.uk/res ... /menu.html

I regularly go to the other Zinc restaurants, and the food is very good and not outrageously priced.

Thinking of possible Sunday afternoon before the flight home, its located in Ocean terminal which is a short walk from the Malmaison.

Thanks,
Richard
#102415 by Scorpio
28 Feb 2006, 21:59
why not start the sat evening off with "a tour of the edinburgh vaults"

Very scary........
#102437 by HighFlyer
28 Feb 2006, 23:00
Hello all

Richard and I have booked our flights up to EDI, we are going up on the Saturday morning so hopefully those of you going up Friday night will be in some sort of reasonable state

Flight details for anyone hoping to avoid us are:

19th Aug 06 BA1442 LHR-EDI D 11.15 (A 12.35)
20th Aug 06 BA1465 EDI-LHR D 20.20 (A 21.40)

Ok, so we have gotten the ball rolling ... rest of you get your flights booked!

Lady Sarah ;)
#102450 by mcuth
28 Feb 2006, 23:40
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Im literally 15-20 minutes drive from LHR, i haven't got a clue how far away BRS is from Swindon, its all farmers country down there to this city girl ;)

BRS is about 42 miles away from Swindon, probably around an hour's drive (depending on traffic) - so closer than LHR (from Swindon). Certainly cheaper to park there than LHR too! Ok, scratch that cos I see you're going from LHR now [:p]

Michael, i know your not suggesting that Lord & Lady Mannion travel with the orange one!! Well - that would be a picture and a half i guess, wouldn't it? :)

ROTFL - that would be a sight indeed :D

Let us know what you intend on booking, would be good if we were on the same flights - drinking starts in the lounge!!:)

I won't be booking for a while anyway - gotta wait til cashflow gets a little easier [:I]

Cheers

Michael
#102467 by Littlejohn
01 Mar 2006, 00:39
'Fraid it looks like Sarah and I will sit this one out. We thought about making it a looong weekend so we could do the fringe, but realky feel we would want to be central for that. Those of you going up should really think about spending 3 days - you'll regret it if you don't, I promise.
#102522 by HighFlyer
01 Mar 2006, 10:38
Michael - Yep, all booked up. LHR is just far more convenient for us, well, certainly for me! [:I] Dont hang around too long with the flights if you can, we only booked last night as we could see the fares going up there and then, flights are still around the £70 mark but im sure will quickly exceed that.

Jeremy - Sorry you guys wont make it, would have been fun to have you there, and to get to meet the Rear Admiral at last :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#102659 by onionz
01 Mar 2006, 20:31
Finally decided to take the Friday off work, and travel early afternoon to maximise the weekend's potential :)

Flights now booked (for £66.70 - nice one BA [y])

18th Aug 06 BA1446 LHR-EDI D 13.15 (A 14.35)
20th Aug 06 BA1465 EDI-LHR D 20.20 (A 21.40) (same as LRoM and LSoM)

V-Flyer Party Express on a BA flight? With my reputation? [8D]

Right, that's also solved the minor discomfort I was suffering due to non-flight-bookingitis. Happier now.
#102701 by HighFlyer
01 Mar 2006, 21:23
Jason, glad to be on your flight mate! (I'll add my flights to the itin forum too) Might as well head up to EDI together? Unless of course you want to avoid the spectacle that is me and he travelling on BA with our VS holdalls and FC Au luggage tags? :)
#102709 by mitchja
01 Mar 2006, 21:33
Flight times are silly from MAN with BMI. The only flight available on Sat 19th departs MAN at 07:00am [:0]

Coming back on the 20th it much better, similar departure time to your BA flights. Looking at doing a BMI tinyfare up to EDI and a miles-redemtion business fare back to MAN - using up BD miles :D. Working out at approx ~£57 total.

...mind you, there's always the other option - I could always drive up (it's only about 3 hrs each way from where I am)

Will be in Edinburgh only Sat night though sorry.

Regards
#102768 by hamishbrown
01 Mar 2006, 22:55
if you want a good and loud meal, the malmaison does a couple of private dinner rooms for 10/12 people so that you can make as much noise without worrying about other people, and then you can carry on drinking in some of the many local boozers in the new and trendy leith area...

as i live just up the road (morningside), i will try to pop down and try one of the famous mcuth blue drinks... [:w]

ps richard i would not recommend the zinc cafe in ocean terminal... [:$]
#102778 by onionz
01 Mar 2006, 23:28
Jason, glad to be on your flight mate! (I'll add my flights to the itin forum too) Might as well head up to EDI together? Unless of course you want to avoid the spectacle that is me and he travelling on BA with our VS holdalls and FC Au luggage tags? :)

I'll be there with VS holdall and FC Ag tags, natch. More than happy to accompany your ladyship.

OLCI should enable us to sit near each other if, indeed, proximity to a serf such as I can be endured. ;)
#102780 by onionz
01 Mar 2006, 23:30
Originally posted by mitchja

...mind you, there's always the other option - I could always drive up (it's only about 3 hrs each way from where I am)

Will be in Edinburgh only Sat night though sorry.

That would make the Sunday a rather dry day, though [:?].
#102785 by mitchja
01 Mar 2006, 23:33
Jason

Hmmmmmmm that had also occured to me as well. Booked the reward EDI>MAN flight, just the outbound to book now.

Regards
#102790 by HighFlyer
01 Mar 2006, 23:41
Jason, thats decided then, we'll check in and sit together with our holdalls and luggage tags!! Natch!! :)

And .. we are going to ask for White Russians when the FA asks if we would like a drink onboard ... deal? ;)

James, Still debating that 7am flight are we? Ooh you know you are eager to get to EDI!!

Thanks,
Sarah
#102827 by onionz
02 Mar 2006, 02:02

And .. we are going to ask for White Russians when the FA asks if we would like a drink onboard ... deal? ;)

Deal! Natch!

Nice one James, a good sized group of us will be heading to the airport at the same time.

Now do you really want to be getting a flight at 7am? The things one will do in the name of V-Flyer! Any other options, other airlines perhaps?
#102828 by onionz
02 Mar 2006, 02:05
Originally posted by hamishbrown
if you want a good and loud meal, the malmaison does a couple of private dinner rooms for 10/12 people so that you can make as much noise without worrying about other people, and then you can carry on drinking in some of the many local boozers in the new and trendy leith area...

as i live just up the road (morningside), i will try to pop down and try one of the famous mcuth blue drinks... [:w]

Excellent, and thanks for the dinner suggestion. Bear in mind that the White Russian is fighting back against the Mcuth Blue and has many recent converts amongst this group.[8D]
#102829 by pegitt
02 Mar 2006, 02:15
Looking at flight's it work's out cheaper for me to go from LHR so look's like i will be joining some of you guys[y]

Phil
#102853 by HighFlyer
02 Mar 2006, 10:44
Hamish - Would be great if you can pop down and meet us! And thanks for the Malmaison private dining recomendation, could certainly be worth investigating!

Any reason against Zinc? Is its the brand in general, or just that one? (Richard is a die hard Conran fan)

Jason - Sorted on the drinks then! Natch! (ooh, the forums new word LOL) And yes, the White Russian has to be the new V-Flyer drink me'thinks ... who were we drinking them with on Chuck day? I know there were four of us but my memory is a little hazy .. [:I]

Phil - Nice one! You know the return flight to be booking yourself on!!

Thanks,
Sarah
#102869 by onionz
02 Mar 2006, 13:32

Jason - Sorted on the drinks then! Natch! (ooh, the forums new word LOL) And yes, the White Russian has to be the new V-Flyer drink me'thinks ... who were we drinking them with on Chuck day? I know there were four of us but my memory is a little hazy .. [:I]

Sarah, you're absolutely right about the takeover of the White Russian, a drink which can trace its V-Flyer roots back to the Las Vegas social.

My memory of Chuck Day is also a little "cloudy", but i'm certain Richard28/Shane/Bruce was with us. Cannot remember the fourth.

Phil - Nice one! You know the return flight to be booking yourself on!!

Would be good if you could join us Phil.
#102870 by Pete
02 Mar 2006, 13:36
Originally posted by onionz

Sarah, you're absolutely right about the takeover of the White Russian, a drink which can trace its V-Flyer roots back to the Las Vegas social.

That would be me then [:I] Been supping those whilst playing video poker for years. I seem to be able to last longer on those rather than get bloated on bottles of gassy American beer ;)

Don't forget the Buttery Nipples, which started with your first Royal Flush in Mandalay Bay!
#102872 by HighFlyer
02 Mar 2006, 13:47
Ah so Pete is the culprit then! And i have been blaming Jason all along for my habitual bedtime milky drinks!

I haven't had a Buttery Nipple yet as i have not been able to source Butterscotch Schnapps in my local licq, so i think we need to introduce me to one in EDI :)

Why is it that all good socials revolve around copious quantities of alcohol? Not that i am complaining of course .. just an observation [:I]

This looks to have the makings of a good trip :)
#102876 by onionz
02 Mar 2006, 13:57
Originally posted by pixuk
Originally posted by onionz

That would be me then [:I] Been supping those whilst playing video poker for years. I seem to be able to last longer on those rather than get bloated on bottles of gassy American beer ;)

Don't forget the Buttery Nipples, which started with your first Royal Flush in Mandalay Bay!

These are priceless memories! :)

Damnit those Buttery Nipples taste good.

I think the White Russian goes down well because it contains a built-in stomach protecting substance: milk. It's like drinking the antidote with the poison!

We have Pete to thank for White Russians, and since he runs this joint, I say that makes it the Official Drink of V-Flyer. Don't really like the mcuth blue anyway....no offence Mike [:I].

Time for that revolution we were planning Pete, or should I say comrade...?
Virgin Atlantic